04-20-15 12:24 AM
51 123
tools
    04-07-15 07:44 PM
    The hands their devices get in the more people will continue to talk about how great of a device Blackberry makes. Keep Moving!
    04-07-15 08:06 PM
    Does the article mention if these are bb10 devices? I scanned it and couldn't find where it does.

I DID see where it mentions that Blackberry is enjoying a "hand me down effect." Which to me, suggests that these are bbos phones.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-08-15 02:37 PM
    Does the article mention if these are bb10 devices? I scanned it and couldn't find where it does.

I DID see where it mentions that Blackberry is enjoying a "hand me down effect." Which to me, suggests that these are bbos phones.

Of course they're BBOS devices, you just have to look at quarterly BB10 sales numbers.
    04-08-15 02:49 PM
    Guess you're not from Africa. Or anywhere near so you can take a look for us.

Posted from the all mighty Z30 10.3.1.2708
    04-08-15 02:54 PM
    Guess you're not from Africa. Or anywhere near so you can take a look for us.

LMAO, do you even know how big Africa is?
    billybobsa likes this.
    04-08-15 03:06 PM

So are BlackBerry phones the only ones that are built good enough to be handed down to another user. You would think as people upgrade to their new phones and hand down their old phones that pretty much all phones would be handed down at about the same rate. You would only get an increase BlackBerry market share if more people were buying Blackberries.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Glenn Biddle; 04-08-15 at 06:38 PM.
    04-08-15 03:11 PM
    Yes I've being there even have family on South Africa but I can't confirm or deny if the article is true or not. My question comes due to same person always giving his negative opinion on every article or threat opened that says BlackBerry is doing something good. He doesn't even know anybody who uses BB10.

04-08-15 03:11 PM
    Of course they're BBOS devices, you just have to look at quarterly BB10 sales numbers.
    You mean the ones that show that BB10 were 90% of handset sales last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and FSeverino like this.
    04-08-15 07:43 PM
    As much as this may seem like good news, I'm betting too that these are older BBOS devices as well and not something that will last if people need to upgrade to BB10 devices.

The reason I say this is the last three years, I've been able to go down to Barbados for the winter. For the first two years I was there, everyone owned a BBOS device (I'm serious, everyone I saw on the bus or walking around had a BBOS device... mostly curves). I believe the Caribbean countries were known to be big BB users so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

This year though out of everyone I saw, I only saw one person with a BB. Everyone else was using Android phones (mostly if not all were low end Android phones). I didn't see any iPhones and the few times I went into the local phone stores, I didn't see any iPhones for sale either. They had the Z10 and Q10 (no Z3's) and you could understand why no one would buy them as they were more expensive then the low end Android phones. I don't even remember seeing any BBOS devices for sale.

Essentially, the huge BB market has evaporated because, at the end of the day, it all comes down to money and simply put, BB10 can't compete on the low end (unfortunately).

One other interesting observation is that the first two years I was down there, I had no problem using my Z10 and Nexus devices. This year, using my Z30 and OnePlus One, I had an awful time getting decent performance. I would use speed test and was seeing results of like 80 kbps at times. Essentially, I only got decent performance in the early morning or late at night. While I may be wrong, my opinion is that all these new data hungry Android devices have completely eaten up their bandwidth so while the number of users is probably the same, the amount of data they are consuming vs. their old BBOS devices has skyrocketed and their network can't support it.

Anyways, point being that while the market in Africa may be good now, it was good in places like Barbados as well and that is now gone, likely for good, so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes that way for Africa as well. Of course, the advantages for data compression on BBOS may last longer of there, I don't know.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    04-08-15 08:34 PM
    You used an awful lot of words to say that you nothing about the market in Africa.

Posted via CB10
    Akainzo and Kimberella like this.
    04-08-15 09:24 PM
    You mean the ones that show that BB10 were 90% of handset sales last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, handsets that amounted to less then one million worldwide, you can't increase marketshare for the whole Africa with one million handsets, even if they were all sold in Africa.

Drop in the ocean.
    dolco likes this.
    04-09-15 04:15 AM

A very important point is, BB in the hand of more folks is more folks with BB in their hands, then they aren't on another phone, BBOS or BB10, it's a good thing.
    04-09-15 06:26 AM
    So I live in Africa, and I can say that although BlackBerry has a ton of devices currently being used by the population it is certainly decreasing every month. Simply because 80% of them are BBOS devices and some of those people are switching to android (simply because they don't know about full touch BlackBerry devices and they want a full touch) .

But it's not all doom and gloom. The BlackBerry 9720 is actually doing well for upgrades to people who wish to stick with the old legacy devices and can't afford a Bold 9900.

Also I have noticed that the Z10 & Z3 have become more popular amongst the BlackBerry user base. Been seeing more and more of them around. So I presume it's the people who had the old Legacy device and have no upgraded to a full touch since its "popular"

That's one of the main reasons people in Africa are not choosing BlackBerry. Simple because they associate BlackBerry with the old, slow, outdated qwerty devices. Everyone needs to be shown a Z10 & Z30 and see that BlackBerry is still playing with the cool kids.

Personally, I promote BlackBerry devices to friends and people I meet daily and hopefully can win a few other to the greener grass

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    Kimberella and AthenaSmith like this.
    04-09-15 08:43 AM
    That's one of the main reasons people in Africa are not choosing BlackBerry. Simple because they associate BlackBerry with the old, slow, outdated qwerty devices. Everyone needs to be shown a Z10 & Z30 and see that BlackBerry is still playing with the cool kids.
    This is the problem worldwide. BlackBerry should have differentiated BB10 from BBOS with a major marketing campaign, and I think ditch the name BlackBerry all together. They were arrogant and thought BlackBerry name would sell devices, without really grasping how the name was inseparable from BBOS which at that point was almost only being bought in cheap laggy devices to people who couldn't afford the competition or the data plans required for the competition. Things have changed and people can now afford cheap Android and the data plans, and BlackBerry is still associated with spinning clocks and battery pulls.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-15 09:33 AM
    BlackBerry is still associated with spinning clocks and battery pulls.
    Not in Africa. Lol!
    04-09-15 09:59 AM
    This is the problem worldwide. BlackBerry should have differentiated BB10 from BBOS with a major marketing campaign, and I think ditch the name BlackBerry all together. They were arrogant and thought BlackBerry name would sell devices, without really grasping how the name was inseparable from BBOS which at that point was almost only being bought in cheap laggy devices to people who couldn't afford the competition or the data plans required for the competition.
    I still think that you guys are too hard on BB OS. If not for BBOS, I'd think BB10 would be another Sailfish or Firefox OS and have an even smaller userbase than it does now due to lack of brand recognition.

You guys look at the problem from the wrong perspective. The problem isn't that BB OS was an outdated OS associated with spinning clocks and battery pulls. Everything becomes outdated eventually and those flaws were acceptable during BB OS' halcyon days.

The problem was BB10 came years too late on outdated hardware with no discernible advantages over incumbents iOS and Android. BBRY owes everything to BB OS and BB OS does not deserve flack for BBRY's inability to produce a relevant, modern OS to secede it.

In 20 or 30 years, we will remember BB OS as the cutting edge OS before modern smartphones with the charming mini keyboards. BB10 will be the "me too" OS in response to iOS/Android that came 3 years too late if it is remembered at all.
    04-09-15 10:30 AM
    The BlackBerry situation in Africa has always been great.

I haven't been there in years but I know that my family back home are all on BB.
    04-09-15 10:39 AM
    Isn't this an African commercial?

One of the best I have seen in BlackBerry history

Posted via CB10
    itzJustMeh, PonyCrazyKid and Matty like this.
    04-09-15 10:51 AM
    I still think that you guys are too hard on BB OS. If not for BBOS, I'd think BB10 would be another Sailfish or Firefox OS and have an even smaller userbase than it does now due to lack of brand recognition.

You guys look at the problem from the wrong perspective. The problem isn't that BB OS was an outdated OS associated with spinning clocks and battery pulls. Everything becomes outdated eventually and those flaws were acceptable during BB OS' halcyon days.

The problem was BB10 came years too late on outdated hardware with no discernible advantages over incumbents iOS and Android. BBRY owes everything to BB OS and BB OS does not deserve flack for BBRY's inability to produce a relevant, modern OS to secede it.

In 20 or 30 years, we will remember BB OS as the cutting edge OS before modern smartphones with the charming mini keyboards. BB10 will be the "me too" OS in response to iOS/Android that came 3 years too late if it is remembered at all.
    So what does that do for them today? Are you saying they should have stuck with their not modern OS and everything would be fine? Or they should have stuck with it and called it a feature phone?
    04-09-15 11:01 AM
    So what does that do for them today? Are you saying they should have stuck with their not modern OS and everything would be fine? Or they should have stuck with it and called it a feature phone?
    Today the remaining BBOS users are providing BB with much needed service revenues without which BB would've been dead by now.
    04-09-15 11:10 AM

Yes the OS was late, on outdated hardware and first versions weren't stable. But BBOS is not liked by many in the business world who were forced to use it. People were screaming for anything but BlackBerry and wanted the iPhones and Androids they were using. These people don't hear the word BlackBerry and associate it with positive things or memories. BBOS was a great OS, but it wasn't a smartphone OS. It required a server to do many of the smart phone functions. As they added features to it it became less stable (Although 7.X did finally get back to better stability and less battery pulls). Staying with BBOS so long tarnished the BlackBerry name in the developed world, and that has now spread to much of the rest of the world. Some BIS outages didn't help either.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-15 11:16 AM
    In all honesty, BB OS7 devices weren't known for the OS but for the hardware, particularly the iconic keyboard. That we are discussing Blackberry from a software standpoint embodies Blackberry's biggest mistake.

Blackberry failed to realize that it was ultimately a hardware company and thought it could release devices where software, BB10, was the main selling point. Not only did BBRY focus all its efforts in the wrong area, it grossly neglected what it was good at by launching BB10 devices with shoddy build quality (i.e. screens that detach from the device body) and denigrated its professional, upper middle class brand image.

In hindsight, BBRY's best move was to sell to Microsoft or some other buyer. But, even if it intended to stay the course with phones, it should have went Android and leveraged its image as a quality hardware manufacturer. People complained about BB OS7 software but the hardware of the devices themselves brought joy to many individuals and continue to be perceived positively today.
    04-09-15 11:37 AM
    Yes, handsets that amounted to less then one million worldwide, you can't increase marketshare for the whole Africa with one million handsets, even if they were all sold in Africa.

Drop in the ocean.
    But you can with the even lower sales of BBOS devices?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 11:44 AM
    Yes the OS was late, on outdated hardware and first versions weren't stable. But BBOS is not liked by many in the business world who were forced to use it. People were screaming for anything but BlackBerry and wanted the iPhones and Androids they were using. These people don't hear the word BlackBerry and associate it with positive things or memories. BBOS was a great OS, but it wasn't a smartphone OS. It required a server to do many of the smart phone functions. As they added features to it it became less stable (Although 7.X did finally get back to better stability and less battery pulls). Staying with BBOS so long tarnished the BlackBerry name in the developed world, and that has now spread to much of the rest of the world. Some BIS outages didn't help either.

Posted via CB10
    Guess what, iPhone and Android also require a server to do most "smartphone functions" you can't even voice dial now without going trough a server.

Name me a smartphone function that doesn't require going through a server?
    04-09-15 11:50 AM
51 123