Mr. Chen and his gang need to start advertising the fact that Android apps can now be directly installed on to the device. I'm suprised that the press release makes no reference to this. Are they worried that this will send a bad message to existing BlackBerry owners, and perhaps cause certain security minded individuals to be concerned? Can you think of any other reason?

I personally don't get why this isn't all over the Internet. BlackBerry is now focused on the prosumer but it should still make this fact known to the public. I don't get why they still haven't publicly disclosed this information.

I installed a fluster of apps like netflix, instagram, Google maps and am very impressed with how well its performing, so it's not like the apps are poor quality.

Let's go BlackBerry! Get the message out.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 09:21 AM
    Why is it up to them? Marketing has never been a strong suit of BB.
    We are the best advertisements.
    01-29-14 09:28 AM
    It's not an official consumer option - it's just for devs. Not a single bb member of staff have said it is for consumers to use. Alec Saunders won't even officially state that - the twitter convo from months ago is just so full of double talk and legalese it's not funny.

CB Kevin was right, in his post, when he articulates the fact that this feature is not ready for prime time and would open up a can of worms for bb customer services. The quality and consistency, in app compatibility, is not even close to being there yet.

It's telling that CB Kevin can sit down with Chen and shoot the breeze, as it were, but cannot get a clear response re this feature.

We here on CB know of this but we are the (informed) minority. This is a dev only feature, officially, and bb would be foolish to not remain silent on this subject. They are not in a place to be dealing with it.

Of course, that could change of bb make deals with google or whoever.

That said i love being able to use android apps on my Z30!

Sent from Tapatalk
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-29-14 09:35 AM
    I believe there are legal issues in making android apk's officially available to customers on blackberry servers, this is why it wasn't in the press release.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    01-29-14 09:36 AM
    Not sure the legally can.... the official line is that Android Apps can be loaded on BlackBerry World now and then downloaded and installed to your BlackBerry.

Nor do I believe that the always secure BlackBerry is going to officially suggest users download apps from unsecure 3rd party App Stores in China or via an unapproved app like SNAP. As far as I know Amazon is the only safe option that we have, but as many have stated BlackBerry doesn't meet all of the qualification for even Amazons App store user agreement. It works, but "legally" we don't qualify.
    01-29-14 09:41 AM
    Agree with the OP. I have always been a staunch BBRY defender but the glacial pace at which they have opened up BBRY devices to Android apps is one of the main reasons I am thinking of jumping ship.
    01-29-14 04:33 PM
    A few things.

1. They're not going to advertise third party app stores.
    2. Runtime is great, but not perfect. Still apps that don't work.
    3. I don't see that many people all of a sudden going oh ****! I can get android on my BlackBerry! They'd go why wouldn't I just get android?
    01-29-14 04:41 PM