Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
09-11-13 10:05 AM
125 123 ...
tools
    Well, I just got word that our corporate BBRY rep was laid off this morning and that he was just one of many new cuts that occurred. :-( I am truly bummed out. He was the best BBRY rep we've ever worked with and, if he was downsized out, I fear it just doesn't bode well. My heart is going out to all of the BBRY employees who are being affected by yet another round of cuts. I hope Watsa really can pull a magic, privatized rabbit out of his hat.

I don't want to carry anything but a BlackBerry! I support and can use them all for my job but I want to be BlackBerry for Life! :-(
    09-09-13 10:25 AM
    The stock symbol is laying people off!?

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and CrackedBarry like this.
    09-09-13 10:29 AM
    The stock symbol is laying people off!?

Posted via CB10
    It's just an abbreviation. I'm sorry if it bothers you. The lay-offs remain the same whether I abbreviate it BBRY or I spell it BlackBerry.
    09-09-13 10:35 AM
    It's just an abbreviation. I'm sorry if it bothers you. The lay-offs remain the same whether I abbreviate it BBRY or I spell it BlackBerry.
    I understood what you meant
    09-09-13 10:36 AM
    Just ignore him.

This is bad news though, but I expect there is more to come. Regardless of whether the company gets broken up, merged, or continues on as a private entity, its size will undoubtedly shrink. A lot of good people are going to lose their jobs, and a lot of undeserving people are going to walk away with a pile of cash.
    09-09-13 10:38 AM
    Lots of people are using BBRY now to refer to BlackBerry... maybe BB is more correct in reference to BlackBerry as a company instead of the stock abbreviation. But does it really matter?

Sorry of the layoffs, it has got to be a hard place to work these days.
    SEAWARRIOR and vbittersweet like this.
    09-09-13 10:39 AM
    I'm just being dumb. But I do prefer calling them BlackBerry over bbry. Anyways, I'm not sure 1 guy getting laid off requires a thread in the news section.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 10:41 AM
    Hey the good news is Thorsten will still get his USD55 million exit fee. < /sarcasm overdrive >
    09-09-13 10:49 AM
    I'm just being dumb. But I do prefer calling them BlackBerry over bbry. Anyways, I'm not sure 1 guy getting laid off requires a thread in the news section.

Posted via CB10
    I would have to agree with you. That's why I didn't post it until he informed me that he was one of a "very large" number of cuts that occurred today. That's also why this section is called "News & Rumors." I was wondering if others had heard the same rumor.

I think you just feel the need to be cranky. You could contribute to the thread or you could just stop reading it. :-)
    mikeo007, danprown, JeepBB and 7 others like this.
    09-09-13 10:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    "he was just one of many new cuts that occurred."
    m1a1mg and richardat like this.
    09-09-13 10:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    This thread is about the latest round of lay-offs at BlackBerry, not the single person known to the OP which was used as an example of those affected by the lay-off notice. Slash and burn is the tactic of desperation.
    09-09-13 10:51 AM
    I would have to agree with you. That's why I didn't post it until he informed me that he was one of a "very large" number of cuts that occurred today. That's also why this section is called "News & Rumors." I was wondering if others had heard the same rumor.

I think you just feel the need to be cranky. You could contribute to the thread or you could just stop reading it. :-)
    Was he a corporate sales rep?
    09-09-13 10:57 AM
    Sucks to be them but that's life and business. No one cried for me the several times I was laid off from one job or another.
    09-09-13 10:57 AM
    Sucks to be them but that's life and business. No one cried for me the several times I was laid off from one job or another.
    Sounds like you and playbookster have a case of the Mondays
    techvisor likes this.
    09-09-13 10:59 AM

From where are you getting this info? Do you work at Blackberry?
    09-09-13 11:00 AM
    I do, I want to go back to bed!

Posted via CB10
    h20work, vbittersweet and LewLew23 like this.
    09-09-13 11:15 AM
    Was he a corporate sales rep?
    Yes, he was the corporate representative for the medical center where I work. And, no, I do not work for BlackBerry. I just got a BBM from my rep this morning letting me know what had happened and asking me if I could serve as a reference for him in his job search.
    Last edited by vbittersweet; 09-09-13 at 11:22 AM. Reason: bad grammar :-)
    09-09-13 11:21 AM
    Yes, he was the corporate representative for the medical center where I work. And, no, I do not work for BlackBerry. I just got a BBM from my rep this morning letting me know what had happened and asking me if I could serve as a reference for him in his job search.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Never a good sign when a company lays off sales reps.
    09-09-13 11:26 AM
    I hope Watsa really can pull a magic, privatized rabbit out of his hat. ...
    Well, the "private" knife cuts both ways. When a company is privately held, the dynamic changes a lot. I believe privatization may lead to more stringent belt tightening, and things may actually get WORSE if some feel that the company isn't "right sized".

In a previous life my company assigned me to a company that was privately owned by an equity company. Equity companies want ROI (return on investment), and, may tolerate LESS "wait and see" in that regard than when a company is public. The equity company let things progress for three years, and, within sight of the goal of releasing what WOULD have been a game changing product in a competitive industry, the equity company bailed out, and it meant the end in a matter of weeks rather than years. That product was never introduced. Now, the company I am referring to didn't have a piggy bank with $3B in it either, to be fair.

The good news is a private company can do many things w/o the public scrutiny a public company faces. In a privatization scenario, what will be critical is for BB to have an income stream from products and services. I am sure the Z10 and Q10 aren't exactly turning out to be what was hoped in that regard. I am less familiar with their services end. No matter what, if the cash flow ain't there, public or private, it will make things very difficult.

Either way, it otta be interesting, to be sure. Then again, a privatization MAY be an interesting way to stick it to short positions and get the last laugh.... just sayin'...... as a bonus.
    vbittersweet and Carl Estes like this.
    09-09-13 11:53 AM
    From where are you getting this info? Do you work at Blackberry?
    Did you read the posts, especially the OP, before you posted that?
    richardat, vbittersweet and PFman like this.
    09-09-13 12:07 PM
    I understood what you meant
    I think we all did
    09-09-13 12:28 PM
    Nope. Do I feel for them, yes. Can I do anything about it, no. So I really don't care. I don't know them and they don't know me. Does it suck, yes.
    09-09-13 12:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    I prefer using the word "one" and not the number itself.

What a waste of space tour post is too.

Posted via a Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1443
    vbittersweet likes this.
    09-09-13 12:50 PM
    Did you read the posts, especially the OP, before you posted that?
    Yes I did read the post, he/she doesn't say whether or not they are a blackberry employee and I don't see any original post (if that is what you man by 'OP').
    09-09-13 12:56 PM
    Yes I did read the post, he/she doesn't say whether or not they are a blackberry employee and I don't see any original post (if that is what you man by 'OP').
    If he worked at BBRY, he wouldn't have referred to his BBRY rep. Employees of BBRY typically don't have a need for "BB reps".
    JeepBB, FCSC, richardat and 3 others like this.
    09-09-13 01:05 PM
125 123 ...