12-12-13 10:23 AM
44 12
tools
    And what qualified executive, pray tell, will take pennies on the dollar if they can get a higher-paying job at many other places? Who's to take responsibility, step down and possibly be exiled from the business world? Execs, there's reasons their paid so highly. I agree, some are ridiculous, but there is reasoning.
    12-11-13 12:37 PM
    And what qualified executive, pray tell, will take pennies on the dollar if they can get a higher-paying job at many other places? Who's to take responsibility, step down and possibly be exiled from the business world? Execs, there's reasons their paid so highly. I agree, some are ridiculous, but there is reasoning.
    I read this thread 4 times and im having trouble following what you are saying. Maybe its cause im on painkillers or something.. lol
    12-11-13 04:07 PM
    Let me try to be more concise. Lol It was a bit all over.

There are certain people who are qualified to become an exec in general. These people demand higher pay. If they can get higher pay at somewhere other than BlackBerry you can bet they will take that job and not BlackBerry offer.

Execs are hired to manage, oversee, etc. But they also are hired to take responsibility and possibly even the fall if **** hits the fan.

If that happens, they could possibly be exiled from the business world and not work as an exec ever again. That's why they demand a higher pay.

Hoping this is clearer?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 05:44 PM
    It's taking more effort than I want to spend on counting the tally so far but I am pretty sure they are nowhere near 4500 yet. I don't think there will be much of an impact showing up on the earnings report. I understand that the quickest way to conserve cash is reduce head count but am puzzled as to the benefit of the strategy BBRY is using.

Totally not my field of expertise so would welcome other opinion.
    I suspect they have also had large numbers of staff leaving the company in the last 6 months, so the job losses are way higher than the layoffs reported. Of course this will be across the board, not just the divisions they want to jettison. Also the first to go tend to be the ambitious high fliers, the last you want to lose.
    milo53 likes this.
    12-11-13 06:01 PM
    Let me try to be more concise. Lol It was a bit all over.

There are certain people who are qualified to become an exec in general. These people demand higher pay. If they can get higher pay at somewhere other than BlackBerry you can bet they will take that job and not BlackBerry offer.

Execs are hired to manage, oversee, etc. But they also are hired to take responsibility and possibly even the fall if **** hits the fan.

If that happens, they could possibly be exiled from the business world and not work as an exec ever again. That's why they demand a higher pay.

Hoping this is clearer?

Posted via CB10
    As the recent C level departures have admirably indicated, the connection between pay and talent is essentially mythical. I think the banking industry also amply illustrates my point.
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    12-11-13 06:07 PM
    If / when BlackBerry starts to take off again I'm wonder if people will want to work for them again......especially local people........just a thought

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:12 PM
    Problem is that the skilled employees are going to get snatched by the competition ...

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:15 PM
    As the recent C level departures have admirably indicated, the connection between pay and talent is essentially mythical. I think the banking industry also amply illustrates my point.
    I never stated that talent had any impact on salary. Talent does not equal qualification. They are two different aspects.
    12-11-13 06:38 PM
    If / when BlackBerry starts to take off again I'm wonder if people will want to work for them again......especially local people........just a thought

Posted via CB10
    The people that are being laid off here (waterloo BlackBerry main town) are not pissed off, they still love the company and recommend it as well (from what I've seen). No one that I know that got laid off hates BlackBerry.

People will always want to work for BlackBerry in waterloo. We have university of waterloo which is known for a lot of stuff when it comes to programing, engineering and the quantum physics sector owned by lazeridis(former BlackBerry co-ceo) that is very close to making the first quantum computer. This is irrelevant but I'm just giving examples for all the talent in waterloo.

Co-op programs with UofW are still on going with BlackBerry and people are still getting jobs at BlackBerry.
    Laurier I don't know but they should be doing co-op still with BlackBerry being one of the best business schools in canada (also in waterloo)

In short: people still want to work for blackberry and will for a long time. They are a great company to look for.
    Every company is just getting smaller.(just not on the news as much as the ionic BlackBerry) Having 12+ thousand employees for phones only is overkill which was caused by over hiring.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:39 PM
    One point of good news, BlackBerry is hiring 24 interns. Or at least has posting for 24 positions.
    They'll probably be unpaid internships.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    12-11-13 06:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...la-jobs-2013-7

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nope they definitely are still hiring just for positions they need..

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:43 PM
    they could @ least wait 'til after the new year, a few weeks wouldn't hurt 'em,,, unless they're senior suits taking up space...
    12-11-13 07:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    dunno abt up north, but under the border, you have to pay interns now...
    12-11-13 07:36 PM
    dunno abt up north, but under the border, you have to pay interns now...
    We're payed up north.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-11-13 09:26 PM
    READ people! READ!

'as part of the 4500'

This news in MONTHS old

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:32 AM
    READ people! READ!

'as part of the 4500'

This news in MONTHS old

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, we all know this.

Doesn't alter the fact it's 80 more miserable families pre Xmas. And it doesn't alter the fact that chens arrival to date made no difference. 4500 unspecified people to lose their jobs...
    12-12-13 03:19 AM
    Not only is it "old news" (unless you are one of the ones being laid off), but it has been blessed by the front page authors here:

The rumored layoffs at Research In Motion are a necessary evil | CrackBerry.com
    12-12-13 05:21 AM
    Yeah, we all know this.

Doesn't alter the fact it's 80 more miserable families pre Xmas. And it doesn't alter the fact that chens arrival to date made no difference. 4500 unspecified people to lose their jobs...
    You would be surprised at the number of people that Do Not 'know this'

But I agree 100% that it sucks these people are out of work. Hopefully they can find a job quickly after the holidays.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 10:23 AM
44 12