10-09-15 12:39 AM
33 12
tools
    Wooo! Hope the intern can fix the Facebook app before their 4 months is up lol. On second thought, actually I hope it never gets fixed. Good way of keeping me off Facebook for now.
    That is pretty sad stuff - according to that ad the chief lead is a colleague intern on a four month placement... Clearly a top priority for the company....
    09-26-15 08:27 AM
    Yay! College interns working on the OS. Quality!

Posted via Z30
    Well I guess that's better than nobody working on it....

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 06:08 PM
    I didn't mean it was for BB10. The thing with them supporting a 64 bit kernel is that they clearly have future plans for it outside of just embedded systems as a "asset-tracking box" or other smaller devices wouldn't have a need for moving to 64 bit architecture. So there must be bigger plans than that. Who knows maybe it's for other OSes for healthcare and automotive etc but either way if Blackberry is to continue some variation of BB10 for enterprise i'm sure this will work its way in.
    Your post is speculative to put a polite spin on it. Clearly BlackBerry is joining every other high-technology company by hiring cheap labour in the form of student interns. Trusting a student to develop an operating system is fool-hardy. Face facts, most students are not Linus Torvalds. As for 64-bit OS being required for future products such a claim is not warranted. Unless those future devices have more than 4 GB RAM a 64-bit OS offers marginal performance in terms of processing. I have been faster than ATMs and self-serve, pay-at-the-pump gasoline terminals since they arrived on the scene. Heck I can buy a movie ticket faster in-person than at the self-serve kiosk at the theatre.
    09-28-15 05:57 PM
    I heard a rumour that the Playbook is going to be able to upgrade to the BB Android OS.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    ROFLMAO You're killing me. Not falling for any more BlackBerry Revival rumours especially if the rumour is about Google Android.
    09-28-15 06:02 PM
    Your post is speculative to put a polite spin on it. Clearly BlackBerry is joining every other high-technology company by hiring cheap labour in the form of student interns. Trusting a student to develop an operating system is fool-hardy. Face facts, most students are not Linus Torvalds. As for 64-bit OS being required for future products such a claim is not warranted. Unless those future devices have more than 4 GB RAM a 64-bit OS offers marginal performance in terms of processing. I have been faster than ATMs and self-serve, pay-at-the-pump gasoline terminals since they arrived on the scene. Heck I can buy a movie ticket faster in-person than at the self-serve kiosk at the theatre.
    First off, clearly my post is speculation as I do not work for BlackBerry. Nor did I say it was fact that the kernel was coming. I said based on their posted job that I looks like they are working on a kernel (aka speculation). Second, they clearly aren't trusting a student to develop a kernel. The student will be assisting on a team who is working on the kernel and their code will be vetted through a experience programmer. Hiring students is not only a source of cheap labour but they can bring fresh ideas to an organization. As for your statement on 64-bit being required for future devices, I never said 64 bit was required for all future devices. I said that if they are building a 64 bit kernel you can assume they have plans for something bigger than simple embedded systems, such as the asset tracking box or ATMs (as you point out) since these would not require that type of OS.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 06:18 PM
    As I Wade into the argument..

I would say that BlackBerry has no choice but to move BB10 over to 64Bit. (if they plan to continue releasing BB10 phones) if you look at the chips coming out in 2016 they are almost all 64Bit. BB10 will have to go 64.99 for the simple reason that all the high-end hardware is all going 64Bit

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 02:22 PM
    As I Wade into the argument..

I would say that BlackBerry has no choice but to move BB10 over to 64Bit. (if they plan to continue releasing BB10 phones) if you look at the chips coming out in 2016 they are almost all 64Bit. BB10 will have to go 64.99 for the simple reason that all the high-end hardware is all going 64Bit

Posted via CB10
    Bust that 4GB RAM barrier... :-)

(edit: yeah, PlayBook, we know...)

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-09-15 12:12 AM
    Bust that 4GB RAM barrier... :-)

(edit: yeah, PlayBook, we know...)

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    4GB, up to 256GB can be addressed with PAE on x86 (32-bit) operating systems. Who's to kid? Lol
    10-09-15 12:39 AM
33 12