10-09-15 12:39 AM
33 12
tools
    Looks like the 64 bit kernel is in the works.

Core OS Software Development Student - 4 Month Winter Term
    Ottawa, Farrar
    Job Description:

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
    On the Core OS team, students will participate in design discussions, writing code, submitting code, code reviews, test creation/execution, and documentation. There are two main projects (i) Development of a 64 bit kernel. Primarily running and resolving regression failures, and finding/fixing common wide ranging coding errors. (ii) Analysis, setup, and rollout of Klockwork as a static analysis tool to be used to assist developers with adherence to the Kernel Coding Standard.
    Skills & Qualifications:
    All development would be done in C; therefore good knowledge of C is required. Knowledge of assembly and assembly-level programming is also an asset.
    One or more of the following are also considered to be assets:
    nowledge of UNIX (BSD, Linux) and micro-kernel operating systems (QNX, Mach) theory, or practical experience.
    Experience writing network-enabled applications with socket-level programming.
    Low-level device driver development for devices such as serial ports, network interface cards, or flash devices.

https://bb.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-...erm_20152014-2
    09-22-15 11:06 PM
    I'm sure QNX will benefit from it greatly lol.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and LazyEvul like this.
    09-22-15 11:17 PM
    I didn't mean it was for BB10. The thing with them supporting a 64 bit kernel is that they clearly have future plans for it outside of just embedded systems as a "asset-tracking box" or other smaller devices wouldn't have a need for moving to 64 bit architecture. So there must be bigger plans than that. Who knows maybe it's for other OSes for healthcare and automotive etc but either way if Blackberry is to continue some variation of BB10 for enterprise i'm sure this will work its way in.
    09-22-15 11:24 PM
    If this is sponsored by BlackBerry, then it certainly adds credence to the theory that in-house software Dec isn't completely out of BlackBerry's future plans. Don't know if it means anything specifically for BB10, but certainly interesting. Thanks for sharing OP.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 11:28 PM
    I didn't mean it was for BB10. The thing with them supporting a 64 bit kernel is that they clearly have future plans for it outside of just embedded systems as a "asset-tracking box" or other smaller devices wouldn't have a need for moving to 64 bit architecture. So there must be bigger plans than that. Who knows maybe it's for other OSes for healthcare and automotive etc but either way if Blackberry is to continue some variation of BB10 for enterprise i'm sure this will work its way in.
    Exactly why I said QNX will benefit from it. All the jobs on the BlackBerry jobs page revolve around QNX and WatchDox. There's no mention of BlackBerry 10 any more.
    jmr1015 and Bluenoser63 like this.
    09-22-15 11:34 PM
    All OSs are going to need to support 64-bit processing before too long, as processor designs at all levels are moving that way (if not already done). 64-bit processing allows wider memory buses which allows for faster processing of larger bits of data - and also allows for a number of security improvements. 32-bit OS's days are numbered.
    09-23-15 12:48 AM
    I believe the SD808 has it but it's an android phone. This is whAt I've been waiting on for BB10.

I see an all touch Passport in the near future.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    09-23-15 01:08 AM
    Exactly why I said QNX will benefit from it. All the jobs on the BlackBerry jobs page revolve around QNX and WatchDox. There's no mention of BlackBerry 10 any more.
    Blaze, I'm viewin nearly all your responses on these forums, and u either are trollin oor you KNOW bb10 is dead.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 02:09 AM
    Blaze, I'm viewin nearly all your responses on these forums, and u either are trollin oor you KNOW bb10 is dead.

Posted via CB10
    Neither. Simply stating what I'm seeing that others aren't generally looking for. People can 'do the math' for themselves and base their own opinions on it all. Just like when people said BlackBerry would never do an Android device and then the evidence started mounting up.. I don't need to reiterate the list here, there's been enough of that.

And for the record, I don't think BlackBerry 10 is going anywhere, it in a way can't. But people have many variations of what 'BlackBerry 10 is dead' means. I think it'll live on but you're not going to see any new hardware nearly as often nor are you going to see updates nearly as often but it won't be as 'dead' as some people think.

Also your post to me implies that even IF I did say BlackBerry 10 was dead, you wouldn't believe me anyway and would just call me a troll.
    09-23-15 02:20 AM
    Neither. Simply stating what I'm seeing that others aren't generally looking for. People can 'do the math' for themselves and base their own opinions on it all. Just like when people said BlackBerry would never do an Android device and then the evidence started mounting up.. I don't need to reiterate the list here, there's been enough of that.

And for the record, I don't think BlackBerry 10 is going anywhere, it in a way can't. But people have many variations of what 'BlackBerry 10 is dead' means. I think it'll live on but you're not going to see any new hardware nearly as often nor are you going to see updates nearly as often but it won't be as 'dead' as some people think.

Also your post to me implies that even IF I did say BlackBerry 10 was dead, you wouldn't believe me anyway and would just call me a troll.
    You see me trollin'
    You see me postin' dirty...

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    09-23-15 06:45 AM
    They have to go 64 bit. All of the SoCs are going that way. Based on all of the Layoffs on the pure BlackBerry side of the house this won't be for BB10. It is clear now that Chen start this Android stuff the day he came in, BB10 went into maintenance mode, and all the devices released with Bb10 were just fillers till this Android plopped in the bowl out of Waterloo. The PlayBook'ing of Bb10 is near!!!!

Posted via Z30
    09-23-15 09:18 AM

Troll..... loooooooooool.... actually am just trolling myself, I hunt your posts love love to tease you by callin u a troll, and just hunt for your replies loooooool....

Your editor in chief you gotta handle the punches!

Posted via CB10
    wojt7 likes this.
    09-23-15 09:24 AM
    I would have assumed that QNX already had a 64Bit Kernel in development....

Maybe they are just looking for some fresh ideas?
    09-23-15 10:01 AM
    I think the site Crackberry and those who lead should be more research, as it was before and focus their ideas rather than speculation if not rather in pure reality, that reality? Blackberry Devices/Blackberry Apps/Blackberry OS10/Blackberry Road Map. apparently they have dropped their arms and what we need right now is that you go back to your roots. We need more publishers and editorials, more information about what happens inside and outside of the Mr. Chen Director bunker. Our community is very Big with expectation and sure is still alive. SergioB. Honduras Central America.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-23-15 10:16 AM
    I believe last year or earlier this year there was confirmation that the 64 bit was already being worked on so this posting is not a beginning but a continuation of 64 bit kernel.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 02:09 PM
    FOSS already has a 64-bit kernel on GNU/Linux distributions, and UNIX had it since a while too.
    09-23-15 05:05 PM
    They have to go 64 bit. All of the SoCs are going that way. Based on all of the Layoffs on the pure BlackBerry side of the house this won't be for BB10. It is clear now that Chen start this Android stuff the day he came in, BB10 went into maintenance mode, and all the devices released with Bb10 were just fillers till this Android plopped in the bowl out of Waterloo. The PlayBook'ing of Bb10 is near!!!!

Posted via Z30
    :-D

  Leakers' gonna leak... :-)  
    09-23-15 07:02 PM
    Sure??

64 bit kernel - its coming-5uac6jh.png

https://bb.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-...erm_20152075-2
    09-24-15 05:03 PM
    Yay! College interns working on the OS. Quality!

Posted via Z30
    tl000 likes this.
    09-24-15 05:26 PM
    Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 06:31 PM
    The PlayBook'ing of Bb10 is near!!!!

Posted via Z30
    I heard a rumour that the Playbook is going to be able to upgrade to the BB Android OS.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    09-24-15 07:06 PM
    Wooo! Hope the intern can fix the Facebook app before their 4 months is up lol. On second thought, actually I hope it never gets fixed. Good way of keeping me off Facebook for now.
    TheQuietRioter and lnichols like this.
    09-25-15 06:00 AM
    Wooo! Hope the intern can fix the Facebook app before their 4 months is up lol. On second thought, actually I hope it never gets fixed. Good way of keeping me off Facebook for now.
    I had listen a rumors that devs that dealt of Facebook and Twitter app got fired and BlackBerry don't wanting replace. Is true?
    09-25-15 11:06 AM
    I had listen a rumors that devs that dealt of Facebook and Twitter app got fired and BlackBerry don't wanting replace. Is true?
    Rumour should always never be taken as fact. It's F.U.D. Until otherwise noted: take with big grain of salt.
    09-25-15 02:51 PM
    Rumour should always never be taken as fact. It's F.U.D. Until otherwise noted: take with big grain of salt.
    A lot of the stuff you said about Android and BlackBerry being FUD have been proven correct. This time the thing quacking is indeed a duck.

Posted via Z30
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-26-15 08:24 AM
33 12