This pretty much sums up why I don't like Android.

Every Samsung Galaxy device -- from the S3 to the latest S6 -- has a significant flaw that lets in hackers, researchers have discovered.

600 million Samsung Galaxy phones exposed to hackers - Jun. 17, 2015

Z10 via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    06-18-15 06:03 AM
    I'll tune into the inevitable circus of defense /condemnation later today.
    gebco likes this.
    06-18-15 06:27 AM
    I don't think this is so much Android as it is Samsung. Samsung uses a custom keyboard by swiftkey. Doesn't Blackberry use swiftkey patents as well? But I'm sure the file system is very different.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-18-15 06:28 AM
    I don't think this is so much Android as it is Samsung. Samsung uses a custom keyboard by swiftkey. Doesn't Blackberry use swiftkey patents as well? But I'm sure the file system is very different.

Posted via CB10
    The difference in the SwiftKey is that it updates over the internet like an app. BlackBerry's version only updates as part of the OS.
    06-18-15 07:13 AM
    Ok so here comes a highly theoretical question: Suppose some major Russian or Chinese hack does something unpleasant and all 600 million sammy users are affected. Then say 100 million of those decide to switch on the same day to BlackBerry.

How would BlackBerry cope with manufacturing and sales increase?

Would the BlackBerry service servers crash under the load?

Is BlackBerry now market tuned to low sales to the extent that a sudden boom would be trouble?

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    06-18-15 08:41 AM
    Ok so here comes a highly theoretical question: Suppose some major Russian or Chinese hack does something unpleasant and all 600 million sammy users are affected. Then say 100 million of those decide to switch on the same day to BlackBerry.

How would BlackBerry cope with manufacturing and sales increase?

Would the BlackBerry service servers crash under the load?

Is BlackBerry now market tuned to low sales to the extent that a sudden boom would be trouble?

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    Nice thought, but you know that IF something like that were to happen, a lot of Sammy owners will just keep on using the device - I'm willing to guess about half. Out of those that would want to change phones, I'm sure the majority will just switch to the iPhone.

Remember, most of the general public don't even know that BlackBerry still exists.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 10:04 AM
    Must not have read the extreme situation the everyday consumer would need to be in in order for this hack to work. There are vulnerabilities on all OS's. They get patched and people move on. I don't think it's a big deal

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-18-15 11:09 AM
    06-18-15 11:25 AM
    All this hacks will start making sense to people when everything they own is connected with their phone, home, car, bank account, credit card and they start risking losing money or things start to haywire at home. Then they will consider buying a secure phone. And they will come back running to BlackBerry.

Posted from the all mighty Z30 10.3.2.2204
    luc4625 and zyben like this.
    06-18-15 09:59 PM
    All this hacks will start making sense to people when everything they own is connected with their phone, home, car, bank account, credit card and they start risking losing money or things start to haywire at home. Then they will consider buying a secure phone. And they will come back running to BlackBerry.

I've been hearing the same rhetorics for the last several quarters. Wake me up when this actually happens.

Posted from an ME173X
    21stNow likes this.
    06-18-15 10:10 PM

By that time...just if...

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    06-18-15 10:22 PM
    And this is why I don't like Android and why I think it's silly for BlackBerry to release an Android phone.

It's also a good example of the security flaws potentially present when one cannot uninstall an offending application. Should a flaw be found in an app such as the Amazon Shopping or app store application, BlackBerry better be really quick at releasing a patch.

Posted via CB10
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-19-15 02:40 AM
    Another super scary vulnerability that could harm hundreds of millions of users, but won't affect a single person ever.

Did anyone read the article to see how incredibly difficult it would be for a hacker to use this exploit? I think you'd have better odds of being struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark at the exact moment you're being elected president than having this harm you.
    asherN and 21stNow like this.
    06-19-15 08:26 AM
    Another super scary vulnerability that could harm hundreds of millions of users, but won't affect a single person ever.

Did anyone read the article to see how incredibly difficult it would be for a hacker to use this exploit? I think you'd have better odds of being struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark at the exact moment you're being elected president than having this harm you.
    Exactly. I don't recall Crackberry having a huge reaction to BB10's vulnerability to Heartbleed, which actually had the potential to effect a decent number of people. I certainly didn't.

I've always been amused by these alarmist threads; this latest one got me thinking: people (Crackberry) going nuts over lab findings that have a minuscule chance to effect a tiny amount of people, and yet - funny thing, these homes and abodes we all live in. Susceptible to vandalism, fire, storms, and time itself, yet we go right on living in them.
    21stNow likes this.
    06-19-15 11:53 AM
    Exactly. I don't recall Crackberry having a huge reaction to BB10's vulnerability to Heartbleed, which actually had the potential to effect a decent number of people. I certainly didn't.

I've always been amused by these alarmist threads; this latest one got me thinking: people (Crackberry) going nuts over lab findings that have a minuscule chance to effect a tiny amount of people, and yet - funny thing, these homes and abodes we all live in. Susceptible to vandalism, fire, storms, and time itself, yet we go right on living in them.
    People here a CB have been waiting for the "personal data leak" disaster to hit Google for about 2 years now. There is a prophecy (AKA the rupture) passed down that one day this disaster will happen and consumers will run for the savior in shinning armor (BB10) to save them from the evil warlock (Google).
    skibnik and Fret Madden like this.
    06-19-15 01:15 PM
    People here a CB have been waiting for the "personal data leak" disaster to hit Google for about 2 years now. There is a prophecy (AKA the rupture) passed down that one day this disaster will happen and consumers will run for the savior in shinning armor (BB10) to save them from the evil warlock (Google).
    Android is upon us!! The end is near!
    REPENT!!!

Posted via C5303
    Fret Madden likes this.
    06-19-15 01:25 PM
    Ha! Good one!

But you forgot about the Cult of the Apple, and the legion of Isheep. Hallowed be Itunes. Lol

Loving my Passport!
    Fret Madden likes this.
    06-19-15 02:53 PM
    Nice thought, but you know that IF something like that were to happen, a lot of Sammy owners will just keep on using the device - I'm willing to guess about half. Out of those that would want to change phones, I'm sure the majority will just switch to the iPhone.

Remember, most of the general public don't even know that BlackBerry still exists.

Posted via CB10
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06...rch_blitzkrieg

Apple seems to be in the same boat,
    if we can believe this report... :-)

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    06-19-15 05:35 PM