03-30-13 01:39 AM
118 ... 345
tools
    So the weekend is over, here's my breakdown of country sales of Visual Connection:

Could just be that Americans are cheap? ($0.99 game) But this is a decently large set of data to pull from considering Visual Connection is pretty popular game right now (number 2 on top paid games at the time of this posting). Holding out hope that T-Mobile, Verizon, and time will slowly increase percentages.
    j4y and schmeat like this.
    03-25-13 10:39 AM
    Go Canada go
    03-25-13 11:00 AM
    They keep talking about lineups. There were no lineups in Canada and it has been selling very well. Ive never seen lineups for android phones either. Its only Apple products because of the limited stores that get them on launch days.
    I don't picture many BB users standing in any lines. I know I hate lines and avoid them at all costs. Kind of like, if I plan things right I don't have to wait. That, and I'm usually to busy to just stand around.
    03-25-13 11:06 AM
    I like the percentages you guys are talking about but i think you may be misunderstanding the BB US share. BBRY is down to about 3.5% market share, that includes all the 2 year plus phones in the market, they are not selling at 5% or 6% they have dropped from 5% share to 3.5% of all the active phones in the market. I don't know exactly how this is measured but comscore has been pretty consistent on the decline in BB users. If sales of new phones reach anything near 5% of the new phones being sold in the next 12 Months in the US it would be a huge success.

It might be possible based upon the amazing amount of older legacy blackberry phones i see in the streets and elevators of New York everyday. Honestly it does not seem like BBRY could have as low share as the stats claim based upon the people i see on a daily basis but i would not be surprised. Hopefully a bunch of keyboard junkies are all waiting on the sidelines to snap up the Q10 and we will see an aberration in the numbers that rocks BBRY forward.
    What comscore numbers are you using? Per their latest release which covers January 2013, BB is sitting at a US subscriber market share of 5.9% not 3.5%. I do expect that number to drop further down when they post their Feb 2013 numbers though since BB10 sales won't be included until March or April 2013 figures.

Here is comscore's latest release:

comScore Reports January 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    semperfi45 likes this.
    03-25-13 11:31 AM
    The stock just got downgraded by Goldman Sachs, which is a problem for sure.

But their criticism was not about the sales themselves necessarily, most of their comments revolved around AT&T's tepid-at-best marketing of this product. Lots of people here have noticed this.

Luckily, VZW looks prepared to do a much better job of it.
    03-25-13 03:07 PM
    What comscore numbers are you using? Per their latest release which covers January 2013, BB is sitting at a US subscriber market share of 5.9% not 3.5%. I do expect that number to drop further down when they post their Feb 2013 numbers though since BB10 sales won't be included until March or April 2013 figures.

comScore Reports January 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    As I PAINSTAKINGLY explained to you in a previous thread, marketshare of sales is the number of phones sold in a given timespan. BB's marketshare was 3.5% in Q4 2012 (it was quite a bit lower in the US alone).

The comscores you keep erroneously touting are metrics of installed base, and do not directly apply to the topic of current and future sales.

Yet you keep posting this in various threads, misleading people into believing marketshare of sales was higher than it is, and obfuscating the correct data. This helps no one.
    03-25-13 04:15 PM
    As I PAINSTAKINGLY explained to you in a previous thread, marketshare of sales is the number of phones sold in a given timespan. BB's marketshare was 3.5% in Q4 2012 (it was quite a bit lower in the US alone).

The comscores you keep erroneously touting are metrics of installed base, and do not directly apply to the topic of current and future sales.

Yet you keep posting this in various threads, misleading people into believing marketshare of sales was higher than it is, and obfuscating the correct data. This helps no one.
    I don't understand your problem but I really don't like your attitude. Why are you here?

The person I responded to was quoting comscore not kantar. Comscore reports subscribers not sales, Kantar reports sales not subscribers. You can have marketshare with respect to both of these metrics. You can also have market share wrt Revenues. Market share is NOT JUST SALES! Do you understand now?

In any case people are getting confused between sales and subscribers. BB's marketshare in Q4 2012 in the US with respect to sales was 0.9% not 3.5%.

Please think before you post next time. Also, for future responses learn to treat people with respect.
    03-25-13 04:29 PM
    I don't understand your problem but I really don't like your attitude. Why are you here?.
    I think it's obvious who has the "atittude". This is none of your business, and for obvious reasons, I doubt you are asking in a sincerely congenial way.
    The person I responded to was quoting comscore not kantar. Comscore reports subscribers not sales, Kantar reports sales not subscribers. .
    I cannot vouch for another person, but he appeared to be using marketshare estimates (which is what he described), and it was VERY clear that he was referring to previous BB sales, and their relationship to current and upcoming BB10 sales. He was NOT discussing subscriber base. It is likely he simply erred in ascribing them to comscore - don't play dumb.
    You can have marketshare with respect to both of these metrics. You can also have market share wrt Revenues. Market share is NOT JUST SALES! Do you understand now?.
    LOL...let me repeat: don't play dumb. I outlined all of this in detail previously. I think most readers are aware that I am familiar with the constructs at issue. One can have "market share" of just about anything, but to take one, and substitute it as another is completely dishonest, and you've been doing that in several threads, when they were clearly discussing marketshare of phone sales. (this thread stands in evidence of that) Completely different constructs, and NOT interchangeable despite using the words "market share". It would make no more sense in the context of this discussion to substitute installed marketshare instead of marketshare of sales, than to substitute marketshare of umbrella sales.

In any case people are getting confused between sales and subscribers. BB's marketshare in Q4 2012 in the US with respect to sales was 0.9% not 3.5%..
    Yes, that is you. For those who did not read the previous thread, this poster argued that subscriber base was the true measure of "marketshare", I explained to him that the proper metric depended on what one was trying to interpret from the metric, and that "marketshare' in the cellular industry is usually referring to sales over a particular timespan. Ironically, it was I who pointed out US marketshare was .9% in the last thread (that was what one of the things he got upset about, arguing that the marketshare was higher (the subscriber base). Note that he is now adopting the very statistics and position I had in the last thread - which is good in the sense that he obviously realized his previous error, and the validity of what I was saying. It is not so good, in that, doing so only has 2 plausible motivatons:
    1.to annoy me
    2.to make people who did not read the previous thread, think that he was the one using marketshare properly, rather than the one being corrected

If you think that parroting back my own argument, will make me angry, you are wrong. I will continue to calmly debunk your statements. Anyone who happened to read both will know who is telling the truth.

Please think before you post next time. Also, for future responses learn to treat people with respect.
    Trying to fan the flames eh? We can do without the childish rhetoric.

Again, in a number of recent threads, you've presented reasoning and arguments that other posters have had to debunk, and the way in which you are handling it does not speak well of your character. I would wager that the majority of readers, whether they like me or not, whether they share my opinions or not, are well aware that I am not prone to histrionics. I think it is your post which would be well-served by more emotional detachment.

from the previous thread in a reply to me:
    Nope, you are wrong and he's not right either. But then you love correcting people don't you?

Let me educate you. Kantar reports quarterly sales figures (3 months running). So you think the true market share of a phone OS is just how many they sold in the last 3 months? Wow. If you take the whole year it gives you a better picture but 3 months? Besides in these 3 months BB were not selling anything as they didn't have a new phone. So you think BB's market share in the US is only 0.9% according to the Kantar figures? Double Wow.
    JeepBB and mikeo007 like this.
    03-25-13 05:04 PM
    I think it's obvious who has the "atittude". This is none of your business, and for obvious reasons, I doubt you are asking in a sincerely congenial way.

I cannot vouch for another person, but he appeared to be using marketshare estimates (which is what he described), and it was VERY clear that he was referring to previous BB sales, and their relationship to current and upcoming BB10 sales. He was NOT discussing subscriber base. It is likely he simply erred in ascribing them to comscore - don't play dumb.

LOL...let me repeat: don't play dumb. I outlined all of this in detail previously. I think most readers are aware that I am familiar with the constructs at issue. One can have "market share" of just about anything, but to take one, and substitute it as another is completely dishonest, and you've been doing that in several threads, when they were clearly discussing marketshare of phone sales. (this thread stands in evidence of that) Completely different constructs, and NOT interchangeable despite using the words "market share". It would make no more sense in the context of this discussion to substitute installed marketshare instead of marketshare of sales, than to substitute marketshare of umbrella sales.

Yes, that is you. For those who did not read the previous thread, this poster argued that subscriber base was the true measure of "marketshare", I explained to him that the proper metric depended on what one was trying to interpret from the metric, and that "marketshare' in the cellular industry is usually referring to sales over a particular timespan. Ironically, it was I who pointed out US marketshare was .9% in the last thread (that was what one of the things he got upset about, arguing that the marketshare was higher (the subscriber base). Note that he is now adopting the very statistics and position I had in the last thread - which is good in the sense that he obviously realized his previous error, and the validity of what I was saying. It is not so good, in that, doing so only has 2 plausible motivatons:
    1.to annoy me
    2.to make people who did not read the previous thread, think that he was the one using marketshare properly, rather than the one being corrected

If you think that parroting back my own argument, will make me angry, you are wrong. I will continue to calmly debunk your statements. Anyone who happened to read both will know who is telling the truth.

Trying to fan the flames eh? We can do without the childish rhetoric.

Again, in a number of recent threads, you've presented reasoning and arguments that other posters have had to debunk, and the way in which you are handling it does not speak well of your character. I would wager that the majority of readers, whether they like me or not, whether they share my opinions or not, are well aware that I am not prone to histrionics. I think it is your post which would be well-served by more emotional detachment.

from the previous thread in a reply to me:

Weren't you the person that said BB had to sell 50 million phones this year or they would go bust? I think most people debunked that nonsensical notion. I really don't understand why you are on a blackberry fan site if you hate blackberry so much. I am a Red Sox fan and you won't see me on a Yankees forum. You are free to do what you like of course but you seem to be here just to fight with people on the internet for some reason. It is very sad.

I don't know why you think you know more than me or know more than anyone for that matter. You could have a million posts under you name but you still wouldn't have much of a clue what you are saying.

This argument is getting tiresome though. I will reiterate what I said before I do believe that for a platform which is what an operating system is the subscriber market share is more important. I never said sales were not important. They are both important.

To conlcude: BB share with respect to subscribers is 5.9% (Comscore), with respect to sales it is 0.9% (Kantar). This is for the last 3 months ending in January. Use whatever market share you prefer.

One more thing: breathe

One last thing: Check out the video posted by the OP, listen to what market share figure they use (hint: It's 5.9%). Thank you. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by AjaxMilanBarcaSC; 03-25-13 at 05:36 PM.
    03-25-13 05:18 PM
    Weren't you the person that said BB had to sell 50 million phones this year or they would go bust?.
    No, I did not say that. I did refer to a 50 mil. figure, the details of which are in that thread, and the statement there I stand by. Anyone interested should go read my statements in their entirety. Trying to take that statement - altering it, and presenting here completely out of context is simply asinine.

. I really don't understand why you are on a blackberry fan site if you hate blackberry so much. I am a Red Sox fan and you won't see me on a Yankees forum. You are free to do what you like of course but you seem to be here just to fight with people on the internet for some reason. It is very sad..
    Nice trolling bud. (and I am not throwing that out lightly - there is no justification or content to this, it is quite simply childish)

I don't know why you think you know more than me or know more than anyone for that matter. .
    All I now about you comes directly from your words, I read them, quote them, and reply to them directly. It is you, as indicated by the sentences directly preceding this one (self-awareness anyone?) who know me, what I "hate", and "why" I am here. Presumptuous indeed.

You could have a million posts under you name but you still wouldn't have much of a clue what you are saying..
    Well you're a stinky pants, and you dont knows nuthin!!!!!!!!!! (now we're getting somewhere LOL)

This argument is getting tiresome though. I will reiterate what I said before I do believe that for a platform which is what an operating system is the subscriber market share is more important. I never said sales were not important. They are both important..
    Actually, in the thread I referenced, it was I who explained that both metrics can be valuable depending on what one is trying to infer. (anyone who doubts my claim this can read the posts). If you now agree, that's wonderful. It does not change the erroneous claims you made about others using "market share" incorrectly, when in fact, it was you who was doing so.

One more thing: breathe.
    Again, quite clear who is throwing the tantrum, and resorting to personal attacks and insults. On the other hand, it is satisfying to know that you have effectively conceded the actual argument, and resorted to the kid's stuff.

Let me just say, I think most posters would respect a person who simply said "oh I made an error" (I've done it here and elsewhere), or "yes, i guess it was I who using those statistics in the wrong context", than a poster who simply starts a combination of: insults + non sequitur tangents + adopt the other person's arguments as your own, all in a desperate attempt to simply avoid admitting their mistake.
    03-25-13 05:57 PM

i don't see this as misleading, what i see as misleading is saying that they are under 5% marketshare, they may have sold 3.5% but their overall market share is not that low and he didn't say that this was their sales in a given time but claimed that as their marketshare which is the percentage of BlackBerry devices in use in the over all smartphone market.

i get what you're saying that their sales share is low and thats a shame
    03-25-13 06:46 PM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    03-25-13 08:57 PM

As the 3.5%'er... I believe 3.5% is US market share for Blackberry, i could be wrong here, but the 5% comscore number you are referring to in the link is of Smartphone users, not all mobile phone users in the US. "Smart"phones are not the 100% of phone users but just North of 50% at this point.
    03-26-13 11:31 PM
    As the 3.5%'er... I believe 3.5% is US market share for Blackberry, i could be wrong here, but the 5% comscore number you are referring to in the link is of Smartphone users, not all mobile phone users in the US. "Smart"phones are not the 100% of phone users but just North of 50% at this point.
    That sounds reasonable. Do you have a source that takes into account all types of mobile phones?

I haven't been able to find something like that but it would be useful to know. I think BB has a real shot at capturing people moving from non-smartphone devices, I guess we will have to wait and see.
    semperfi45 likes this.
    03-26-13 11:53 PM
    I think a lot of people are worried about bb10 sales performance in the US. Well consider this: 6% of smartphone sales in the US are BB7 devices. Imo this is great considering there was no new phone since the Sept 2011! It's amazing people are still buying Bb7 considering BB10 is launching this month. So there are many fans in the US, many of which are holding off their upgrades for the qnx offering. Is it fair to say that that pent up demand, a fresh new modern OS, considerably more functional, can double the sales of bb7? My bet is that market share in USA will be 15%. While this is low compared to other countries such as Canada, UK, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia... BlackBerry will do just fine overall!
    It's more like 0.9%
    15% is simply not possible. By early may, every carrier in the USA switches to heavily promoting the Galaxy S4...just like all the UK carriers are desperately doing on their websites.
    By mid April, T mobile most likely will switch to heavily promoting their shiny new iPhone.

Word of mouth and conversion of existing BB faithful will help to move some appreciable Z10 and Q10 sales but I'd be surprised if BB hits 10% by end of this calendar year

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    03-29-13 04:49 AM
    For my app, which appears as the top result for searches, has some interesting stats. An update was just pushed the other day so here are some stats based on just that update's download.

% of downloads:

Canada - 62% (Rogers highest, then telus, then bell)
    USA - 17%
    UAE - 6%
    India - 3%
    Indonesia - 3%
    Rest is spread across a lot of other countries.

I am not saying this is what device sales are like, just some stats to think about. Are any other devs experiencing the same figures?
    Thought it'd give an update after one week:

Canada - 54% (Rogers and telus almost tied now, bell distant third)
    USA - 29% (ATT - 60%, Tmobile 25%, 15% verizon) - chalking this up to release timings
    UAE - 4%
    India - 1%
    Indonesia - 1%

There is a greater spread between different countries now.
    03-29-13 11:35 AM
    Thought it'd give an update after one week:

Canada - 54% (Rogers and telus almost tied now, bell distant third)
    USA - 29% (ATT - 60%, Tmobile 25%, 15% verizon) - chalking this up to release timings
    UAE - 4%
    India - 1%
    Indonesia - 1%

There is a greater spread between different countries now.
    What app is that?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    03-30-13 01:18 AM
    300,000!? That's it? Wow apple had 20x more sales on the same span..

BBRY has a long road..

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2012/...-Million/#mn_p

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:39 AM
118 ... 345