The worst part is: this is a tiny fraction of what's coming.

" BlackBerry continues to move through its period of transition, confirming to CTV News that it will part ways with 250 of its Waterloo-based employees this week.

We must focus on enhancing our financial results to be in a better position to compete in this current mobile environment, the company said in a statement."

250 more local BlackBerry layoffs as ‘transition period’ continues | CTV Kitchener News
    11-18-13 07:26 PM
    I hate to hear of anyone losing their jobs. One can only hope the company finds its feet at some point and can start hiring back, but in the meantime they have hard decisions to make.
    11-18-13 07:28 PM
    The top line is the issue.
    richardat and kfh227 like this.
    11-18-13 07:28 PM
    I do hope they get good severance packages. And find new work quickly.
    11-18-13 07:47 PM
    Does anyone has an idea of which business lines are affected and how they will survive?

40% of the company is a lot. Will Blackberry have enough people to run the hardware business unit or the BB World store for example?
    11-18-13 08:56 PM
    Such a horrible, horrible shame. My thoughts and prayers will be for these families.
    richardat and bbq10l like this.
    11-18-13 09:12 PM
    Always bad to hear that people are being laid off
    Hope their talent gets to be put in practice elsewhere soon

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    11-18-13 09:16 PM
    The title is what is deceiving...this is NOT "250 MORE" this is "250 jobs" that are part of a 4500 person cut that we have known about for months now. It is unfortunate, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made. They could keep all of these employees, go bankrupt then fire EVERYONE, however, I should hope nobody here is so ignorant as to believe that is a solution.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-18-13 09:52 PM
    You just know there is some corporate genius (probably heins) who thought it was a good idea for BBRY stock to announce 4500 long term jobs cuts, and then supplement that little tidbit by slowly cutting 250 jobs every month ensuring blackberry stays in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
    11-18-13 10:29 PM
    You just know there is some corporate genius (probably heins) who thought it was a good idea for BBRY stock to announce 4500 long term jobs cuts, and then supplement that little tidbit by slowly cutting 250 jobs every month ensuring blackberry stays in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
    I think there was a period there where they were dumping all the bad news they could out there, in the hopes of depressing the share price ahead of Fairfax's deal.
    11-18-13 10:33 PM
    The title is what is deceiving...this is NOT "250 MORE" this is "250 jobs" that are part of a 4500 person cut that we have known about for months now. It is unfortunate, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made. They could keep all of these employees, go bankrupt then fire EVERYONE, however, I should hope nobody here is so ignorant as to believe that is a solution.
    First, if you had actually read the article it was discussing 250 MORE local job cuts, having already lost 600 locally. The article makes it clear that this is part of the 4500 jobs being cut.

Second, this is matter-of-fact news - bad news, and being a blackberry apologist doesn't mean you need to say jerky things arguing against red herrings which nobody even implied. Seriously. For fricks sakes if there was at least one thing the forum could agree on and behave about it you'd think it'd be this.
    11-18-13 10:35 PM
    First, if you had actually read the article it was discussing 250 MORE local job cuts, having already lost 600 locally. The article makes it clear that this is part of the 4500 jobs being cut.

Second, this is matter-of-fact news - bad news, and being a blackberry apologist doesn't mean you need to say jerky things arguing against red herrings which nobody even implied. Seriously. For fricks sakes if there was at least one thing the forum could agree on and behave about it you'd think it'd be this.
    Why don't you calm your *** down and think before you respond. What you fail to comprehend is where I clearly said "The title is deceiving." You have no argument other than you did not read clearly.

Read the title, it reads "250 MORE" which is deceiving because the way it reads is that it is an addition to the 4500 rather than phrasing it to accurately depict that it is in fact more of the expected lay-offs. There are many people, including other media outlets that ONLY look at titles and form opinions from it.

I'm not being an anyone apologist, I am IN business and know the consequences of this catch .22, yet many people here have not a clue and crucify companies for layoffs. I don't need someone's approval, invite or ******** to state an opinion or fact. Sorry to inform you, you don't make the rules here.

Get over yourself. Focus on what people type and un-bunch your panties before you respond. It's amazing how much more sense things make when you interpret it properly.
    habs_fan likes this.
    11-18-13 11:24 PM
    I remember going to RIM and seeing uncountable amounts of people making phones or in the warehouse...........whose left to make the phones?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:14 AM

Read the title, it reads "250 MORE" which is deceiving because the way it reads is that it is an addition to the 4500 rather than phrasing it to accurately depict that it is in fact more of the expected lay-offs. There are many people, including other media outlets that ONLY look at titles and form opinions from it.
    Read just a little bit further and it isn't misleading because the context is that of a local news story. The title reads " 250 more local BlackBerry layoffs...".

Let me ask you this. How would you have written this headline? When answering, imagine you're a local reporter, not a BlackBerry PR rep and not a fanboy either .
    11-19-13 01:58 AM
    Is Heins part of that 250?
    anon1727506 likes this.
    11-19-13 02:25 AM
    Read just a little bit further and it isn't misleading because the context is that of a local news story. The title reads " 250 more local BlackBerry layoffs...".

Let me ask you this. How would you have written this headline? When answering, imagine you're a local reporter, not a BlackBerry PR rep and not a fanboy either .
    Don't even bother with the guy...no need to pollute the thread with his kind of rhetoric. It's obvious to anyone that the title is misleading because he assumed a meaning that was not implicit, and which is immediately clarified within the succinct and brief article. To argue that the writer was devilishly thinking...."oooh....this will make people think 250 are belng laid-off on top of the 4500 (most of whom haven't been yet)" is truly idiotic - and I doubt very much that even with CB it was the assumption the majority jumped to, is a bunch of pure baloney.

The writer was clear, the headline is true, and the intention clearly was not malicious nor to mislead. To whine about such a false and incredibly petty assumed slight to Blackberry, while most of us focus on the people who lost jobs, speaks volumes about this poster.
    JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    11-19-13 02:58 AM
    Funny that the one going into the histrionics is the one telling people to calm down.
    JeepBB, anon1727506 and richardat like this.
    11-19-13 06:43 AM
    Funny that the one going into the histrionics is the one telling people to calm down.
    2 points.
    A) strange you never see any specifics on what areas these unfortunate people were working in. Why aren't they specifying this to make their strategy clear.
    B) so it looks like Chens role, and the new funding, can't reverse the decisions taken earlier by heins and the board. This implies Chen may have far less power to influence strategy than previously thought.
    11-19-13 12:16 PM
    Sadly this is happening "everywhere" in most companies.

It's happening to a bunch of companies in the loo which sucks.

But it sucks that BlackBerry is having those 4500 job cuts but everyone seems to think it's only blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:23 PM

But it sucks that BlackBerry is having those 4500 job cuts but everyone seems to think it's only blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    I love these comments where posters exhibit a persecution complex whenever negative news is posted on these forums. Negative news stories exist about Blackberry because negative events are occurring at that company. When there is positive news to report that gets re-posted as well.

I guess posters around here would rather this News and rumors forum be limited to news about marginal marketshare increases in small markets (e.g., a 1% increase in Australia).
    JeepBB, Roo Zilla and richardat like this.
    11-19-13 12:57 PM
    2 points.
    A) strange you never see any specifics on what areas these unfortunate people were working in. Why aren't they specifying this to make their strategy clear.
    B) so it looks like Chens role, and the new funding, can't reverse the decisions taken earlier by heins and the board. This implies Chen may have far less power to influence strategy than previously thought.
    It would be nice to know A, if only to try to glean some overall direction - though with only 250...probably no way to draw any sound conclusion. As to B, I think Chen probably could reverse those decisions....but whether he wants to, or even knows what he wants....or whether anything can help...is an open question in my mind.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-19-13 01:02 PM
    I hate to hear of anyone losing their jobs. One can only hope the company finds its feet at some point and can start hiring back, but in the meantime they have hard decisions to make.
    I'm willing to bet that what you say will never happen. In fact, I believe BB will eventually exist not only as a different Company , but Not even based in Canada anymore. I could be wrong but I doubt it. This is all about Investors making Money and not about BB Staff and or Being Canadian. Just something about this whole ordeal is just wrong. Things are not getting better and I see nothing to indicate that the NEW CEO is going to make a difference. I guess we will see.
    11-19-13 02:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is happening at any given time to many companies....companies go out of business all the time. I don't think anyone here does not believe that, but since this is CB we tend to talk about how it is happening to BB - as well as other cell companies.
    11-19-13 02:37 PM