01-26-18 08:41 PM
52 123
tools
    PKB all the way! Enlarge the already exisitng niche with aggressive marketing.

There is not a single person that sees my KEYone and doesn't love it! Young and older folks alike, people just love the keyboard but there is only one little issue:

None of these people even new BlackBerry is making a comeback let alone is still making phones...

So, if TCL put the pedal to the metal I believe they will further carve the niche.

Chicken and the egg situation, like many businesses (if not most...)
    01-12-18 11:32 PM
    PKB all the way! Enlarge the already exisitng niche with aggressive marketing.

There is not a single person that sees my KEYone and doesn't love it! Young and older folks alike, people just love the keyboard but there is only one little issue:

None of these people even new BlackBerry is making a comeback let alone is still making phones...

So, if TCL put the pedal to the metal I believe they will further carve the niche.

Chicken and the egg situation, like many businesses (if not most...)
    In many places, they don't have carriers on board so no marketing push. Even where they do have carriers, money has been spent in areas like small business account discounts.

KEYone was discounted $50 USD through AT&T under small business accounts for example. TCT/BBMO/TCL phone business is still economically resource challenged.
    01-13-18 07:06 AM
    In many places, they don't have carriers on board so no marketing push. Even where they do have carriers, money has been spent in areas like small business account discounts.

KEYone was discounted $50 USD through AT&T under small business accounts for example. TCT/BBMO/TCL phone business is still economically resource challenged.
    Absolutely. That is precisely the problem.
    01-13-18 11:29 AM
    Which I think is why they scraped the rumored higher end VKB and are only doing two PKB phones next year. Just not sure there is room for three PKB BlackBerries. Especially if they do a PKB Palm...
    When I saw that statement at CES, I genuinely wondered for the first time if they are planning to release something odd (spiritual Priv successor, or something). This isn't wishful thinking; I'm just not sure where you can viably take the KEYone format next beyond the annual 'update'.

I'm not sure that dredging up the Palm brand makes a lot of sense either, and particularly not in a phone format. If their plans are leaning towards some kind of enterprise tablet offering, that would be a little more convincing.
    01-13-18 12:43 PM
    I think the best carrier strategy is to offer a couple of PKB phones at different price points, even though I like the BlackBerry VKB approach as well.

At this point "shelf space" in the distribution channel has to be BlackBerry Mobile's top priority. Once they have a market presence, investing in marketing communications (advertising and promotions) can start to pay off.

BlackBerry Mobile will get more press for its PKB phones simply because they are unique among Android offerings. I hope the two new phones in 2018 are substantially different to get attention and test the market.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Azumarill likes this.
    01-13-18 01:29 PM
    When I saw that statement at CES, I genuinely wondered for the first time if they are planning to release something odd (spiritual Priv successor, or something). This isn't wishful thinking; I'm just not sure where you can viably take the KEYone format next beyond the annual 'update'.

I'm not sure that dredging up the Palm brand makes a lot of sense either, and particularly not in a phone format. If their plans are leaning towards some kind of enterprise tablet offering, that would be a little more convincing.
    Palm brand makes a lot of sense if they convert BB purchasers to Palm. TCL own the Palm brand and doesn't pay any licensing royalties.
    01-13-18 02:20 PM
    Palm brand makes a lot of sense if they convert BB purchasers to Palm. TCL own the Palm brand and doesn't pay any licensing royalties.
    But then TCL would also need to develop the "palminess" of the UX with software. So they'd end up paying for that, too. and Palm does not have a fraction of the brand awareness that BlackBerry does.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-15-18 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    01-16-18 04:16 AM
    But then TCL would also need to develop the "palminess" of the UX with software. So they'd end up paying for that, too. and Palm does not have a fraction of the brand awareness that BlackBerry does.
    I agree with this. The Pre line and its webOS implementation were exceptional, and in many ways far beyond their time. Despite some significant launch successes, it's just a fact that Palm's recognisability (and there was once much of it) was as an earlier PDA manufacturer. As a former Pre user, my lasting association of the device is with HP.

I'm playing devil's advocate to some extent; seeing Palm return in some capacity would be a happy day. Exactly how TCL would make a viable device that is distinct from BlackBerry is a difficult question, and the need to use Android might well prove a shackle in this case.
    01-16-18 04:44 AM
    Just ordered another screen protector for my old Z10. Waiting to see the new phones in 2018. BlackBerry for life!!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-18-18 08:54 AM
    Just ordered another screen protector for my old Z10. Waiting to see the new phones in 2018. BlackBerry for life!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Well it looks like we are getting TWO new devices in 2018 and BOTH of them are apparently keyboard devices.

The one we already know a little about and will most likely be a KEYᵒⁿᵉ Replacement / upgrade featuring a Snapdragon 660 processor and more RAM.

The other keyboard device has little information about it. Some are hoping it will be a Priv II or something like the Passport. I presume it will be "different" but excited to see what we get. 😃
    01-20-18 04:10 AM
    Well it looks like we are getting TWO new devices in 2018 and BOTH of them are apparently keyboard devices.

The one we already know a little about and will most likely be a KEYᵒⁿᵉ Replacement / upgrade featuring a Snapdragon 660 processor and more RAM.

The other keyboard device has little information about it. Some are hoping it will be a Priv II or something like the Passport. I presume it will be "different" but excited to see what we get. 😃
    I would say both are KEYᵒⁿᵉ variants, an XL and normal size options with the same specs

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 06:37 AM
    I would say both are KEYᵒⁿᵉ variants, an XL and normal size options with the same specs

Posted via CB10
    That's the most likely scenario, but it's also feasible that they'd take a bigger risk with one of them to get attention and test the market. I would consider a significant smaller or significantly larger phone, but I won't look to replace my KEYone anytime soon. I only have the 3/32 version, but it's performance is everything I could want.

01-20-18 12:17 PM
    That's the most likely scenario, but it's also feasible that they'd take a bigger risk with one of them to get attention and test the market. I would consider a significant smaller or significantly larger phone, but I won't look to replace my KEYone anytime soon. I only have the 3/32 version, but it's performance is everything I could want.

Agreed. I finally got my AT&T KEYone as well. You shamed me until I couldn't take it anymore...
    01-20-18 12:55 PM
    Agreed. I finally got my AT&T KEYone as well. You shamed me until I couldn't take it anymore...
    You'll be glad to know I'm now single carrying my KEYone when I don't intend to be working. Of course, at those times, I barely look at my phone, so it's usually still in my bag. However, just a minute ago I executed a contract on my KEYone, so I have now officially used it to get work done.

But I still prefer generating text on the Z10!

01-20-18 12:59 PM
    You'll be glad to know I'm now single carrying my KEYone when I don't intend to be working. Of course, at those times, I barely look at my phone, so it's usually still in my bag. However, just a minute ago I executed a contract on my KEYone, so I have now officially used it to get work done.

But I still prefer generating text on the Z10!

You've now publicly shamed me because I'm still finishing up first project started on KEYone. Won't be done till next week at earliest.
    01-20-18 01:12 PM
    What about a KEYtwo and a tablet
    01-20-18 01:20 PM

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ/Motion is the Alcatel Idol 5s which is TCL's premium but affordable device. Follow their top tier line up specs and you can be sure the next KEYᵒⁿᵉ/Motion upgrades will be the same. If your looking for other ideas look at their other devices for your possibilities.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 02:43 PM
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ/Motion is the Alcatel Idol 5s which is TCL's premium but affordable device. Follow their top tier line up specs and you can be sure the next KEYᵒⁿᵉ/Motion upgrades will be the same. If your looking for other ideas look at their other devices for your possibilities.

Posted via CB10
    Except they said they'll release two physical keyboard devices not based on the KEYone.

I'm not sure how much of their other glass slab devices' designs they could use (though they'll certainly use the same components under the hood.)

01-20-18 02:51 PM
    Except they said they'll release two physical keyboard devices not based on the KEYone.

I'm not sure how much of their other glass slab devices' designs they could use (though they'll certainly use the same components under the hood.)

Obviously the design of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ or any KBD device is unique to the rest of the Alcatel line up. It's the specs I'm more referring to. People who want this $1000 spec'd out device simply are not going to get it because that's not Alcatel's philosophy. TCL is not buying high end processors just for BlackBerry, they are doubling up their orders with their existing offerings.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 03:52 PM
    Obviously the design of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ or any KBD device is unique to the rest of the Alcatel line up. It's the specs I'm more referring to. People who want this $1000 spec'd out device simply are not going to get it because that's not Alcatel's philosophy. TCL is not buying high end processors just for BlackBerry, they are doubling up their orders with their existing offerings.

Posted via CB10
    OK. We agree, then. Shared components for sure. That's a huge part of their strategy.

01-20-18 04:15 PM
    OK. We agree, then. Shared components for sure. That's a huge part of their strategy.

It goes behind processors and components, Alcatel 2018 wants to introduce face unlock and I would expect BBMo to do the same. Their (Alcatel) specific focus is a "flagship look and feel" and "democratizing flagship style features". They also are going to tap into their LCD knowledge from TCL's TV operations, and you can expect BBMo to mirror this strategy.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 04:27 PM
    It goes behind processors and components, Alcatel 2018 wants to introduce face unlock and I would expect BBMo to do the same. Their (Alcatel) specific focus is a "flagship look and feel" and "democratizing flagship style features". They also are going to tap into their LCD knowledge from TCL's TV operations, and you can expect BBMo to mirror this strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I concur entirely that BlackBerry Mobile Will look to share features and components across brands as much as possible.

01-20-18 04:36 PM
    I would be 100 percent in IF BlackBerry came out with Priv the second. Best of both worlds. Just not a 5.5 inch screen.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-21-18 10:08 AM
    I would be 100 percent in IF BlackBerry came out with Priv the second. Best of both worlds. Just not a 5.5 inch screen.

Posted via CB10
    How big is the Motion screen? I would expect same as Motion to use already existing components. That's if you seriously want BBMo to consider a PRIV replacement.
    01-21-18 02:48 PM
52 123