09-30-14 03:18 AM
64 123
tools
    Huge number considering that as of today it's only available at one Canadian carrier and zero American ones.

Posted via CB10
    The 200K doesn't even take into account the carrier sales. It only accounts for shop BlackBerry and Amazon. I also don't think it takes into account all the backorders that were placed after Amazon ran out of stock, or the pre-orders from Rogers and Bell.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    09-26-14 08:43 PM
    That's really impressive! They stabilized the company, made a compelling and unique product, and people are buying it. Good for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-26-14 08:50 PM
    Extrapolating sales figures based on launch day excitement and pent up demand is... Unwise.

Hopefully, BB will make small production runs and maintain some degree of per-unit profitability, cach, and demand, and our "niche" will continue to see software updates, native app development and new innovative device launches.

I'm very very interested to know what the net profit per unit is.
    09-26-14 09:12 PM
    That's BTW 120,000,000$ in revenu

Now if they can add another 0 to the sales number and they'll be doing great!

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 and HereinHalifax like this.
    09-26-14 09:50 PM
    200,000 through online channels is better because it is sell through and not sold to carrier.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 09:57 PM
    Soon as I can get it through Rogers I'll be happy to add to that total.
    Next week. Our Rogers account exec will be bringing over the first few for trial.

STL100-3 | Rogers | 10.3.0.xxxx
    09-27-14 01:36 AM
    It is also impressive in that the lone Canadian carrier is likely not very supportive on the ground level. For example, I finally hit a Telus store in downtown Montreal today for a look at the passport.

The sales rep was a nice guy, but he openly admitted that he knew very little about bb10. So, in all likelihood this phone is only going to be sold to people who actively seek it out.

For the record, I was very impressed with it. I would have walked out of the store with one if I was on Telus. That screen is gorgeous!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 02:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not to be a downer but that's 120mil in sales not revenue revenue is different from sales. None the less it is a very high amount in sales that will only continue to rise with basically half a year to go till the end of blackberry's fiscal year ends.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 03:38 AM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    As they restock... and launch next week on other major canadian telcos. It's very possible we could have one million BlackBerry Passport s sold within two weeks of launch!. with virtually no advertising or US carriers selling...

Very impressive!

Passport is impressing....

Posted via CB10
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-27-14 03:41 AM
    As they restock... and launch next week on other major canadian telcos. It's very possible we could have one million BlackBerry Passport s sold within two weeks of launch!. with virtually no advertising or US carriers selling...

Very impressive!

Passport is impressing....

Posted via CB10
    Can you imagine what BlackBerry could do with a properly funded company in the black? They made an amazing product with not a lot of money to boot. BlackBerry will soon be synonymous with Business, Success and Power. That will be a great time, that's probably not to far from now
    09-27-14 03:56 AM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Chen has got them (blackberry) moving in the right direction, focused, and innovative!

... from my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-27-14 04:04 AM
    Chen has got them (blackberry) moving in the right direction, focused, and innovative!

... from my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    So you did finally did get your passport, great, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am mine.

Sent from my awesome passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-27-14 06:34 AM
    So you did finally did get your passport, great, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am mine.

You show it off to anyone? What do they think?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    Indeed. I was also curious and did the math. This is great! It's important to note that over 200k people wanted this phone so much that they dropped over $600 of their own money and ordered it online. This isn't walking into a phone carrier and signing a 2 year contract or a payment plan. This number is really impressive to me. I hope that it's equally effective for carrier sales.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-27-14 09:11 AM

Ugh still waiting here. I'm in the next phase with the Canadian telco release.

STL100-3 | Rogers | 10.3.0.xxxx
    09-27-14 09:48 AM
    I work for one of the carriers so I'll try to get one on company plan. I have had the z30 for less than a year so I'm not sure if it will fly

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:13 AM
    Went into a Telus and I was playing with the phone,manager came to me and was gushing about it. Said they sold out and ordered double. I was talking to him for like 20 mins about it. Seemed like he liked it

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    09-27-14 01:47 PM
    Extrapolating sales figures based on launch day excitement and pent up demand is... Unwise.
    Yep. You'd think the vapid fanbois would remember the irrational exuberance surrounding the launch-day BlackBerry Z10 sales guesstimates. Followed by months of irrational proclamations by Heins about the device "selling above expectations" and the subsequent write-downs / write-off within the first year.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-27-14 02:03 PM
    Yep. You'd think the vapid fanbois would remember the irrational exuberance surrounding the launch-day BlackBerry Z10 sales guesstimates. Followed by months of irrational proclamations by Heins about the device "selling above expectations" and the subsequent write-downs / write-off within the first year.
    Well, as you said, those were guesstimates based on little more than blind faith.

This is a confirmed number of people buying phones off contract. That's a very impressive number for first day unlocked sales, wouldn't you agree?

09-27-14 03:28 PM
    I'm very positive at the 200k Passports sold because of this:
    -Most of these 200k phones were phones bought without people even trying one
    -I've seen a lot of interested people in it, but since is a "weird" phone, most people are waiting still to try one before buy
    -Most of the sales were be online for sure
    -Most were sold in US, Canada, UK, there's still an entire world waiting to simply be able to buy one like me, I still have no place to buy here in Portugal, and most countries are like me
    09-27-14 03:39 PM
    This is a confirmed number of people buying phones off contract. That's a very impressive number for first day unlocked sales, wouldn't you agree?
    John Chen, like any ordinary CEO, is going to say sales exceeded expectations regardless of the number. And fans are going to make out 200k to be amazing sales regardless of their knowledge of past sales.

We can't objectively say if 200k is actually a "very impressive" sales number or not in the absence of a reference point. The only figure we can compare it to is like that of the iPhone 6/6+, which sold 10 million units, making any comparison absolute nonsense.

This is basically a replay of the Z10 hysteria again on a smaller scale. Other OEMs clearly would not think 200k units worth mentioning. Blackberry a year ago would not have dared publish the number. We don't honestly know whether the Passport is outselling the Z10 or Q10 or Z3.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 09-27-14 at 03:55 PM.
    09-27-14 03:44 PM
    John Chen, like any ordinary CEO, is going to say sales exceeded expectations regardless of the number. And fans are going to make out 200k to be amazing sales regardless of their knowledge of past sales.

We can't objectively say if 200k is actually a "very impressive" sales number or not in the absence of a reference point. The only figure we can compare it to is like that of the iPhone 6/6+, which sold 10 million units, making any comparison absolute nonsense.

If John Chen said, "The Passport sold 200k units vs. the Z10 which sold 50k units in the first two days", then I will give him credit where credit is due. Right now, the Passport's sales being impressive is like me declaring that "I have 100 trillion money" and then revealing its in Zimbabwe dollars.
    The reference point is the under 3 million devices they sell per quarter. They need to get that number to over 3 million. 200k in one day with no carrier subsidies is a good indication that Passport could give them 500k - 1M a quarter, which is a huge difference for them right now.

Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-27-14 03:50 PM
    I think the fact that folks could see it announced AND then order it helped.
    qwerty4ever and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-27-14 03:54 PM
    today number?
    09-27-14 03:59 PM
    That's really impressive! They stabilized the company, made a compelling and unique product, and people are buying it. Good for them.

Golf Clap to John Chen. He took a risk. He knew you got to bring out a device that separates the people. Like "Divide and conquer" a la Macchiavelli. And hell, it works.

I read the comments of Engadget, and you have 50 50 divisions. Mostly positive though. From "Wow, something new" to "Will try out that one", etc. It works. And lets see how BB will sell until the end of the year!
    09-27-14 04:08 PM
64 123