10-30-13 12:37 PM
34 12
tools
    The response to this article is exactly why BlackBerry is going to spin BBM off into its own company.

BGR did a positive article on BBM not BlackBerry, it shows that while the BlackBerry
    Brand is very unpopular right now BBM is still something that anyone who has used a BlackBerry and since switched to android and IOS will love.

Brand loyalty to BBM far exceeds anything BlackBerry itself has (20 million in a week is amazing)

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 09:44 PM
    20 million is extremely impressive, and a huge win for BlackBerry.

Here's a crazy idea: maybe companies, on average, get positive press when they have successful products (e.g. BBM) and negative press when they have unsuccessful products (e.g. BB10)
    10-29-13 09:59 PM
    The problem with this math is that I believe a significant portion of the "new" users are really "existing" users who are retiring their BBOS phones and switching full-time to iOS or Android. A lateral move like that doesn't make them a new, additional user, even though I'm sure they're being counted that way.
    Then those "new" users wouldn't count as new users because they were already active BlackBerry Messenger users. "New users" means accounts that have not been active or were just created are now active.

You're reasoning is flawed.

Posted via CB10
    CecilTsunami likes this.
    10-29-13 10:07 PM
    20 million is extremely impressive, and a huge win for BlackBerry.

Here's a crazy idea: maybe companies, on average, get positive press when they have successful products (e.g. BBM) and negative press when they have unsuccessful products (e.g. BB10)
    That doesn't fit with the conspiracy theories. I'm guessing BlackBerry paid a bunch of cash for bgr to post a positive article. We'll see it as a line item on next quarters earnings report
    Tre Lawrence and kevinnugent like this.
    10-29-13 10:37 PM
    That doesn't fit with the conspiracy theories. I'm guessing BlackBerry paid a bunch of cash for bgr to post a positive article. We'll see it as a line item on next quarters earnings report
    Agreed. Way too logical.
    h20work likes this.
    10-29-13 10:45 PM
    more trash from BGR right?
    Technically it is trash bc it states s few numbers buy nothing more. It doesnt mention that a huge chuck of those 20m are probably old BlackBerry users, or that bbm is still 1/4 of whatsapp.

Does this article make BlackBerry 'look good'... sure, but it also leaves bgr a nice fall back for when bbm doesn't do well and he can then say 'what we seemed to miss was...'

It is a poorly written piece with very little insight into a topic we already know much more about.

Trash.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 12:07 AM
    Technically it is trash bc it states s few numbers buy nothing more. It doesnt mention that a huge chuck of those 20m are probably old BlackBerry users, or that bbm is still 1/4 of whatsapp.

Does this article make BlackBerry 'look good'... sure, but it also leaves bgr a nice fall back for when bbm doesn't do well and he can then say 'what we seemed to miss was...'

It is a poorly written piece with very little insight into a topic we already know much more about.

Trash.

Posted via CB10
    Then those "new" users wouldn't count as new users because they were already active BlackBerry Messenger users. "New users" means accounts that have not been active or were just created are now active.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    10-30-13 12:50 AM
    BGR thread....the hatebois chasing the fanbois. To funny. Twenty million active users added in one week is good no matter how you spin it.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    10-30-13 01:04 AM

Actually, I believe it is the reporting that is flawed. I can buy that 20M people have downloaded BBM and activated it on their device. What I don't buy is that all 20M of these people were not active BB users. How many people just on Crackberry have activated BBM on another device, just because, even if they planned on never using it and continuing to use their BB?

We know BB is famous for spinning the facts in their press releases, using tortured language to suggest things that aren't close to the real truth. "25,000 BES installs! (between purchases, tests, and even DOWNLOADS!)" So it would be very easy to take a report from BB (if it even came directly from BB) and misunderstand/interpret it to say that all 20M users were brand-new, but I'm calling "shenanigans" on that report, one way or the other.

My guess is that at LEAST 1/2 of all BBM users were using BBs for BBM up to the day they installed BBM on their other phone. The numbers of users who are doing that in places like Indonesia and Africa, where most people carried 2 phones already (with their BB just used for BBM) is almost certainly higher than that. We may never be told the full truth, if BB goes private, but I believe that's what's happening. The costs of 3G service has come down a lot in the last 2 years in those places, so BIS accounts no longer make financial sense like they once did. People weren't willing to give up communicating in areas were BBM ruled the land, so they kept their BB phones for BBM, but those days will come to a pretty rapid end for most of those users. Unfortunately for BB, that also means a big loss in monthly service revenue too.

Don't get me wrong: XBBM, as a stand-alone product, has been a success so far, but in the short term, it is going to hurt BB's business. Presumably, BB has a plan to monetize BBM, and if THAT is successful, it could be worth a good deal of money.
    DenverRalphy and chr1sny like this.
    10-30-13 12:37 PM
34 12