11-06-13 05:31 PM
157 12345 ...
tools
    so true. i did downloaded it , registered it and never used it again. i do not like whatsup at all. it does not look good what so ever. i am not sure what is big deal about it. i think the only reason this messaging app became popular was because there was no better cross platform alternative until now. BBM looks far better, it is far more secure and the moment video and voice calling features are added whatisup is history. Whatsup Achilles heel is that users are identified by phone number. this was bad decision. i would give out my phone number just like that. it is easy to change pin but not so easy to change phone # if it is compromised. go BBM go.
    Absolutely agree

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 08:15 AM
    How would we know how many there really are? Downloads don't match users 1:1.

Even Pins:Users is not 1:1.
    You think other services like whatsapp, line etc report actual active users? BTW last I heard almost 65million users were BBM using subscribers before BBM launch on Android and iOS, only 30 - 35 Million more to get. It looks feasible at current rate.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 08:16 AM
    Well, it seems plenty are using it, since CB is now flooded with these PIN sharing threads (that I wish I could filter out of my Latest Post searches, honestly).
    10-27-13 08:35 AM
    I'm have trouble understanding celebrating the number of downloads of a free app (other than there's nothing else to celebrate). This is never gonna be a game changer for bbry and their handset sales are still in desperate trouble.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    10-27-13 08:38 AM
    Whatsapp gone, group converted to BBM and never looking back.
    Same here, I converted 19people and closed my WhatsApp account.

BlackBerry Z10, powerful tool indeed.
    10-27-13 08:38 AM
    I'm have trouble understanding celebrating the number of downloads of a free app (other than there's nothing else to celebrate). This is never gonna be a game changer for bbry and their handset sales are still in desperate trouble.
    It's good news for BB. There are a number of ways that having 100's of millions of users messaging, voice calling, and video chatting on their app could be leveraged if they can continue and develop it that far. Can't think of any? Okay...
    fedakd likes this.
    10-27-13 08:51 AM
    And growing. Wait until the full BBM hits, video chat etc.
    Last edited by Wilsonia Goldens; 10-27-13 at 03:13 PM.
    10-27-13 08:59 AM
    We are are less than two weeks into the cross platform phase. Over time, people with download the app to see if it's worth keeping. I have Groupme and whatsapp and Kik. I don't use kik. I hate that whatsapp includes everyone from my phone book. Group me is cool, but I like the idea of using a pin instead of my phone number.

BBM will grow. At the least it will be one of the top 3 messaging apps. If voice and video are successfully implemented along with BBM channels, it will be #1. A lot of potential because it has the possibility of becoming a social app as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 09:01 AM
    my Ios and Android friends are in love with it because it doesn't ask you for a phone number,and they can block anyone they want... those users are average users.. not techy at all..
    10-27-13 09:28 AM
    I will keep WA along with bbm. However I do believe that my personal friends who are using WA and who are not BB, will do likewise and we will chat thru bbm. So, whilst the user base might remain fairly constant for WA, I think their monthly traffic will suffer simply because bbm is the better vehicle. However even if everyone followed my strategy, the monthly active users for WA will remain constant even if their traffic tumbles. So the only meaningful metrics are monthly active users PLUS daily traffic. Having said that, I may well dump WA on some future date....
    10-27-13 09:36 AM
    Why wouldn't people download it?

It is a free app! Of course people will download it. That was never a question. The question is - How many people will keep it and continue to use it over time? I can only speak on what I've experienced personally, and as far as I know, every single person I've got to try the app has already uninstalled it and went back to SMS/MMS, Whatsapp, KIK or Google Hangouts.
    Just because it's free doesn't mean it's a shoe in. I was explaining it's surprising because of the bad reputation BlackBerry suposably has. I found it amazing people would line up and even be upset about the wait to get BBM. When has this never happened? Especially for a free app? Plus, I have 8 new contacts from Apple that I've been chatting with for three days. No signs of deleting it. No matter how you spin it, this is a record for downloads in so little time. There is no way BlackBerry could have hoped for anything more.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 09:37 AM
    There is no more line now, the flood gates are open

I had the same issue , we had a WhatsApp group, got everyone switched over, made new Group and everyone loves it!!!
    0 WhatsApp messages since.

Posted via CB10
    You are my hero!
    jaydee5799 and Gerii like this.
    10-27-13 09:55 AM
    Yes the waiting line is over. I told my nephew to download BBM for his Galaxy S3 yesterday afternoon California time and boom he got in with a Pin number very quick. With this kind of speed, for 100 millions new sub. plus old sub. is easy.
    10-27-13 10:34 AM
    On google play alone they are between 10,000,000-50,000,000 it says... soo it's possible.

I haven't checked on apple app store how many download there is yet.
    But it's 100% possible

Posted via CB10
    xBURK likes this.
    10-27-13 10:47 AM
    I have signed up 20 users (all ios and android). And, we are all BBM'ing back and forth.

the key, is for them to adopt it and try and use it for their contacts - beyond me. Whatsapp for me is now pretty dormant. I will keep it, because I want to be accessible in as many ways possible. But, BBM will be the preference.
    xBURK likes this.
    10-27-13 10:51 AM
    This is as much about keeping BBM relevant as it is getting BBRY "back in the game".

With a dwindling number of BBM contacts, BBRY had to so something to keep people from switching off BBM altogether. Until BBM4ALL, I was down to 3 regular personal BBM contacts and 5 business BBM contacts (down from over a hundred). At that rate, BBM was fast becoming a non-entity. Why have a messaging app with no one to message with? By pursuing BBM4ALL, BBRY has given BBM a second lease on life and judging by the number of BBM contacts that I've added in the past week, I think they may be on to something.

At the same time, BBM getting into the hands of non-BB users exposes people to a portion of the BB experience. If BBRY is able to parlay that into a curiosity of what else BB has to offer, it stands a chance at broadening BB's appeal. In order to do so, BBRY will need a very well articulated and executed marketing plan and properly use the apparent success of BBM4ALL to the advantage of BBRY.

Whether BBM will always be free isn't clear. What happens in a year or two when people have gotten used to BBM, have dozens of contacts and use BBM as their preferred messaging app? Will they be willing to pay $0.99-$1.99-$2.99 per year to keep BBM?
    10-27-13 10:53 AM
    There is no more line now, the flood gates are open

I had the same issue , we had a WhatsApp group, got everyone switched over, made new Group and everyone loves it!!!
    0 WhatsApp messages since.

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp is a thing of the past! LOVE it!
    10-27-13 01:16 PM
    N4BB is reporting that the amount of users on BBM will hit 100 million, with in excess of 45 million on IOS and android.
    Not sure about 100 million but you can add 9 more users to that. Me and 8 other family and friends are back on BBM now and I am the only one on a BlackBerry device. The rest are on Androids and iPhones but we are no longer using WhatsApp.
    10-27-13 01:20 PM
    I doubt they are doing 500k an hour now and will keep this rate up till Monday.

Posted via CB10
    Considering the process is manual you'd be correct in your assertion.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-27-13 01:36 PM
    Well, it seems plenty are using it, since CB is now flooded with these PIN sharing threads (that I wish I could filter out of my Latest Post searches, honestly).
    Ha ha. Good point. Yeah some days it's like mostly PIN sharing threads.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    10-27-13 01:36 PM
    Awesome! Onto 200million
    10-27-13 01:42 PM
    I had 2-3 additions to my bbm without me prompting anyone

Today I sent my pin to all my Whatsapp regulars and have added another 5 and counting. Unfortunately the first response always seemed to be "but I don't have. A blackberry"

Bbm needs to be advertised to the millions who still aren't aware it is available on IOS and android. But the numbers are looking positive so far

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 01:43 PM
    I managed to persuade many people to use BBM and they sounded excited with it.
    No Blackberry need to do their part (which I believe they will do) and not let us down.

It would have been better if BBM was available for Android2.x as well.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    10-27-13 02:05 PM
    Can BBRY somehow monetize BBM? Can this new surge be used to sway netflix and other big name apps to recognize that BBRY still holds some clout in the world BBM can be used to advertize some of these very big name apps and they can be dowloaded through links. Netflix channel anyone/ Instagram channel ? Go BBRY1
    10-27-13 03:47 PM
    Accuracy of the number is really not all that important. What's important is that the number is very big.

Downloads vs users is a moot point and needs some time to settle down and metrics to be assessed.

I am a new user on IOS and have started using it because my friends and family use it. End of story.

So the established user base means a lot to friends and family of that base. Regardless of all of the hype and wrt better or worse than whatsapp etc.
    xBURK and southlander like this.
    10-27-13 03:49 PM
157 12345 ...