11-06-13 06:31 PM
157 1234 ...
tools
    Levendy hunerdy milliondy.
    10-27-13 12:15 AM
    True, but whatsapp is at 250 million downloads - not active users. So for comparative purposes it's fine. I would also bet that bbm users r more active than whatsapp

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    WhatsApp is over 300M active monthly users and they have stated the have processed as any as 27B messages in a day and average over 300M photos per day.
    10-27-13 12:40 AM
    Didn't they already have like 80 before? So the 10 million new ones.. and then another 10 since they announced the first 10 million.

I don't think 100 million is too far fetched

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 12:41 AM
    They had around 60 million in their last reported numbers.
    howarmat likes this.
    10-27-13 01:02 AM
    N4BB is reporting that the amount of users on BBM will hit 100 million, with in excess of 45 million on IOS and android.

This is way too high and i can't see this being true.. 80-85 million is more reasonable.

Goodbye BBM Line, and Hello 100+ Million Users - N4BB

What do you guys think

Posted via CB10
    It's a guess based on simple math. Sure, it could happen but all these numbers need clarification anyway.. is it based on downloads? Is it based on active users? What defines a user? If I download it, create an account, never send a message and delete the app.. Am I still a user?
    m1a1mg and kevinnugent like this.
    10-27-13 01:39 AM
    It's a little like the difference between shipped and sold though. Just because people downloaded it, doesn't mean they're actively using it. What constitutes active?
    Same argument applies to the other messaging apps, but I don't see anyone splitting hairs about it the way they do BBM.
    10-27-13 02:40 AM
    The reality bbm is limited compare to others, people will end up keeping at least 2 to 3 messaging tools just to keep in touch with everyone. Video calls, photos, easy sharing is limits bbm

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 03:04 AM
    It's a little like the difference between shipped and sold though. Just because people downloaded it, doesn't mean they're actively using it. What constitutes active?
    SO do we use that theory with the 5s sales then? People bought them but never activated them so they could instead sell them on ebay and such to turn a profit??? IF the numbers say an amount then it has to be the amount right?? Cant say one way for one thing and not another.

Face it, BBM is a huge hit!
    10-27-13 03:31 AM
    Same argument applies to the other messaging apps, but I don't see anyone splitting hairs about it the way they do BBM.
    Whenever Whatsapp announce figures it's Monthly Active users.
    10-27-13 03:39 AM
    SO do we use that theory with the 5s sales then? People bought them but never activated them so they could instead sell them on ebay and such to turn a profit??? IF the numbers say an amount then it has to be the amount right?? Cant say one way for one thing and not another.

Sure, use that theory. But apply it to BBM too. Apple don't have to fudge figures... Blackberry has a history of doing it lately.
    10-27-13 03:40 AM
    I'm just glad this is a real possibility. I really didn't think BBM would have been downloaded half this much a few days ago.

Posted via CB10
    semperfi45 likes this.
    10-27-13 03:43 AM
    no matter its 80 or 100 or 200.....BBM is a good chat app and seems better than all ....i have used it for last 5 years ......i am sure with time bbm will only grow .....
    James Nieves likes this.
    10-27-13 04:08 AM
    I'm just glad this is a real possibility. I really didn't think BBM would have been downloaded half this much a few days ago.

Posted via CB10
    Why wouldn't people download it?

It is a free app! Of course people will download it. That was never a question. The question is - How many people will keep it and continue to use it over time? I can only speak on what I've experienced personally, and as far as I know, every single person I've got to try the app has already uninstalled it and went back to SMS/MMS, Whatsapp, KIK or Google Hangouts.
    PFman likes this.
    10-27-13 04:55 AM
    What's difficult to believe? They say 100,000,000 subscribers. Not 100,000,000 NEW subscribers.

70M BlackBerry owners (quite easy to believe half are using Bbm), the likelihood of 45M newer BBMx subscribers and growing over the weeks and it's not the slightest bit far fetched.
    The source, namely N4BB.
    10-27-13 05:34 AM
    There is no more line now, the flood gates are open

I had the same issue , we had a WhatsApp group, got everyone switched over, made new Group and everyone loves it!!!
    0 WhatsApp messages since.

Posted via CB10
    You could say flood gates are open...or you could say initial demand has slowed and they no longer need the wait
    10-27-13 06:11 AM
    Looks like N4bb may be retracting on their prediction.. they updated the article with an update:

http://n4bb.com/goodbye-bbm-line-hel...million-users/

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 07:15 AM
    It's a guess based on simple math. Sure, it could happen but all these numbers need clarification anyway.. is it based on downloads? Is it based on active users? What defines a user? If I download it, create an account, never send a message and delete the app.. Am I still a user?
    The bigger concern is the amount of downloads cross platform that they mentioned. I can't see how 45 million people from ios and android downloaded it in less than a week. That seem ls way too high. I mean great, if it's true but i highly doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 07:17 AM
    The bigger concern is the amount of downloads cross platform that they mentioned. I can't see how 45 million people from ios and android downloaded it in less than a week. That seem ls way too high. I mean great, if it's true but i highly doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    I agree it does seem very high. I would have to see proof to buy their claims.
    10-27-13 07:25 AM
    If bbm has 100 million users, then skype has 1 billion users at least, including windows phone, windows, windows rt, ios, mac, android, blackberry os, blakcberry 10, symbian and linux. bbm will never surpass whatsapp, because unlike BBM, whatsapp runs on all platforms.
    10-27-13 07:38 AM
    True, but whatsapp is at 250 million downloads - not active users. So for comparative purposes it's fine. I would also bet that bbm users r more active than whatsapp

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    so true. i did downloaded it , registered it and never used it again. i do not like whatsup at all. it does not look good what so ever. i am not sure what is big deal about it. i think the only reason this messaging app became popular was because there was no better cross platform alternative until now. BBM looks far better, it is far more secure and the moment video and voice calling features are added whatisup is history. Whatsup Achilles heel is that users are identified by phone number. this was bad decision. i would give out my phone number just like that. it is easy to change pin but not so easy to change phone # if it is compromised. go BBM go.
    10-27-13 08:05 AM
    Whatsapp gone, group converted to BBM and never looking back.
    southlander likes this.
    10-27-13 08:12 AM
    i find it hard to believe. 80-85 would be more in line with my thoughts. They had close to 60 already lets say so if they got 20 million they are over 80. I read the article but they didnt say how they arrived at those numbers
    That was reported back in May, blackberry has not updated the figure since, which would suggest a downward trend in bbm users, specifically on legacy devices (bb10 doesn't count).

The 60 million active monthly bbm users has no doubt dwindled in congruence with the number of legacy bb users. After all this is of great significance because bbm will cease to function on these devices without bis support from the carriers.

So the question remains, how many of the 60 million active monthly (vs the 53 million active daily) users have remained since May. & how many of those xx million have or will transition to bbm on another platform?

We wouldn't want to count those users twice and further obfuscate figures; it's getting old.

Perhaps blackberry should release bbid bbm MAU numbers, a data point which explicitly excludes legacy bbm users.

I wouldn't protest if blackberry decided to release bbm users broken down by platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-27-13 08:37 AM
    FWIW, everyone on my WhatsApp list has now migrated to BBM and are loving it.

I moved whatsapp to my back page so I dont need it anymore.
    10-27-13 08:57 AM

Not sure where you started on that logic trip, but you took a wrong turn somewhere.

Apple sells phones to carriers, and they can never be returned. Therefore, they are sold. BBRY "fronts" their phones to carriers and they can be returned. Therefore, sold vs shipped becomes important.

I am one of those people that downloaded and installed BBM. I did it just to see how good an app BBRY had built. I then uninstalled it since I use SMS for all my messaging. Where do I count in the mix?

At some point in time, BBRY will try to monetize BBM. They won't be able to sell without real numbers. They'll have to show active users. Pretty simple.
    10-27-13 09:07 AM
    I dont see how bbm is limited compared to others

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 09:10 AM
157 1234 ...