Hi all.

I found this forum a few months ago, and one of the power users told me to use Outlook to synch my contacts and calendar. I don't use Outlook, I use Mozilla Thunderbird. I figure the best way to avoid viruses is to stay away from Microsoft's mail and browser!

Anyway, I installed Outlook just for the contacts and calendar (no email). But the desktop manager does not give Outlook as a choice for Synchronization. Why would that be? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall Desktop Manager for it to recognize Outlook as a Synch choice? Will I lose the Media Synch program if I do that? I'd hate to have to go through all that again, especially since then I have to figure out how to update to 4.5.whatever Verizon just released.

I have no way to synch my contacts, calendar etc. at this time, just back it up.

Couple more questions...

Why is my mailbox wiped 2-3 times a day on the hour? Every morning at 7 am all my messages from that mail service vanish off my blackberry. It happens again in the afternoon. I can't save any messages! That does not happen to my Gmail mailbox, and it didn't happen until I sent *ACT to my provider after the danged BB locked up and wiped everything.

Is there a fix for the email program that will properly display HTML links? Right now my email have the links displayed as text chunks and it makes the mail very hard to read. Or is there a better email reader you recommend?

Many thanks!
    11-23-08 03:57 PM
    What options do you see for synchronization? Do you have Outlook or Outlook Express? Also are you connecting to a BES server as well as your Gmail?

If you Gmail account does not delete, it sounds like an issue with the provider/company that the emails are being deleted from. How is this account being setup? Through BIS or BES?
    11-23-08 04:04 PM
    Hi Jayden! Thanks for replying.

When I try to set up synch on Desktop Manager, my choices vary as follows:

Calendar: ASCII Export/Import or Yahoo
    MemoPad: ASCII Export/Import or Yahoo
    Address Book: Outlook Express, ASCII Export/Import or Yahoo
    Tasks: ASCII Export/Import or Yahoo

So I cannot select Outlook since it's never offered as a choice to configure!

Gmail mail doesn't delete because I rarely delete much from it. I don't consider that the problem, the problem is my other mailbox on the BB deletes whether I want it to or not, no matter what I am doing on my computer. This is an SMTP maill account that I sweep onto my desktop to read with Thunderbird. But I should be able to keep copies on BB, no?

I am using BIS through Verizon.
    11-23-08 05:55 PM
    Did u open up outlook after u installed it? If not do that. It will not reconise it until outlook has been run for the first time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 07:18 PM
    I would try the above and if that doesn't work, delete and re-install Desktop Manager.

11-23-08 07:43 PM
    Yes I did, because I moved (painstakingly) all my Palm Contacts over there. But I think I found the answer in a post on another thread:

TheMilkyWay 11-23-2008 03:46 PM If your only two options are ASCII and Yahoo, I suspect that you do not have a valid copy of OUTLOOK on your computer. When I say "valid", I mean 2002 or better, because my understanding and experience is that is what is required when you use Desktop Manager software. Once you have Outlook installed, it will show as an additional selection, i.e. ASCII, Yahoo, Outlook and then click OUTLOOK (because that is where the emails, contacts,calendar, etc. are located) and it will be a breeze from there. Hang tough but you need OUTLOOK, version 2002 or better!
    Good Luck.
    And alas, my version is from Office 2000. So in order to use my BB properly, I have to buy a new version of Office. This completely sucks.
    11-23-08 07:46 PM
    I really don't want to reinstall it, who knows what I will lose! Plus the install CD is the old version.
    11-23-08 07:48 PM
    Yes I did, because I moved (painstakingly) all my Palm Contacts over there. But I think I found the answer in a post on another thread:

And alas, my version is from Office 2000. So in order to use my BB properly, I have to buy a new version of Office. This completely sucks.
    *cough uTorrent cough*
    11-23-08 07:48 PM
    I've got proof that Outlook 2000 is not supported. Here's RIM's technical lack of support page on it.

I went to the site you suggested but don't see how that helps. Yes I know what a torrent is. I've got a couple other programs that can process them.
    11-23-08 09:38 PM
    Definitely... didn't know you had 2000 as you stated you just installed it. If you have your contacts on Google, you can use Google Sync.
    11-23-08 10:42 PM
    Yeah, that "functionality" is so annoying. I am downloading free trial of Office 2007 to see if problem is solved.

Any idea about my email troubles or shoudl I post them in a new message? They were at bottom of my original message.
    11-24-08 12:08 AM
    11-24-08 04:56 PM
    Please post if that works! Im a hair stylist and I use outlook for keeping my work schedule via my compaq pda , and i wanted to start using my BB instead of pda but i cant acess outlook. Still using pda to schedule appointments BUMMER
    11-28-08 09:49 PM
    Hey Carmalita, happy to report that installing the trial of Office 2007 (including Outlook) fixed the problem. RIM also reports that Outlook 2000 functionality is disabled (why, I have no idea, but it was a bad move on their part in my opinion). So now I have to buy at minimum Outlook 2007 and will probably buy the whole Office 07 suite as an upgrade.

I still haven't found a way to migrate the date from my Palm T|X though. There's a few power users who "helpfully" tell us to search for "Palm" on the forums and even provide the links, but if you take the time to read them you'll find many of the solutions do not work.

I think this is a major failure on RIM's part (poor migration path, and the dependence on Outlook rather than having a desktop front end like Palm does). However, I am 95% migrated over, having moved my calendar BY HAND and probably missed a lot of things. Have not moved my memos yet, still looking into best way to do that. But since you want to move your calendar from Outlook, upgrading your copy should do the trick for you.
    11-29-08 06:49 PM
    thanks for the info Madhaus I will also download trial. I can only imagine how long it took you to move all your info by hand whew!
    11-29-08 07:16 PM
    I don't have multiple appointments every day like you do. And many of my appointments are recurring weekly or monthly things that I only had to enter once. I would return the BB if I had to manually re-enter 3 months worth of hair appointments, because I know I'd make mistakes galore.
    11-29-08 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD