I'll be getting my blackberry curve in sept. so i'm on here trying to learn some tricks of the trade of owning a bb and what things i should do first when i receive it. what i have noticed is a lot of people are saying download this download that, get rid of this and that. i can understand that i might want to delete some things that i probably wont use but WHY all the downloading to make the phone better. doesn't it come with the best stuff when you receive it?
    08-16-08 02:04 PM
    People talking about downloading are either discussing upgrading their operating system to a later version, which you should not attempt until you've had more experience with your device, or they're talking about 3rd party apps. There are many useful utilities, mapping programs, etc. that people install on their phones. The phones come with basic capabilities, plus a lot of memory-wasting fluff. Fluff is in the eye of the beholder, but there's plenty on the out-of-the box BlackBerry. Remove that, and you can install the programs you want.

Since you were fortunate enough to get an 8330, you already have 32M more memory to start with than any other BlackBerry, so running out of memory won't be a problem for you as soon as it is for others. The Stoner Procedure linked in my sig will help you remove the fluff and optimize your device for your purposes. But you shouldn't get too deep into that right away, either. Take time to get to know your BlackBerry, and all that will be much easier later.

Oh, and Welcome to the forums! For good, general information, be sure to check out the Getting Started Guide and the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-16-08 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added welcome
    08-16-08 02:11 PM
    I have noticed that you have posted on here a lot. I feel fortunate to have a reply from you. lol. I really do appreciate it. I'm glad that you informed me not to download a lot of stuff until I get familiar with the BB. I believe I would of ruined it the first day...heehee
    08-16-08 02:22 PM
    I'm glad that you informed me not to download a lot of stuff until I get familiar with the BB. I believe I would of ruined it the first day...heehee
    lol. don't worry about ruining your blackberry! you can always download an app, try it out and then delete it if you don't like it!

check out this thread to see some popular bb downloads!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/
    08-16-08 02:25 PM
    what about upgrades for a new curve? are those important? again, doesn't the BB come with the best when you first receive it?
    08-16-08 02:32 PM
    what about upgrades for a new curve? are those important? again, doesn't the BB come with the best when you first receive it?
    as verizon customers our curves are loaded with the latest operating system available form verizon! there may be a new os available from verizon in the future.
    08-16-08 02:35 PM
    ...I'm glad that you informed me not to download a lot of stuff until I get familiar with the BB. I believe I would of ruined it the first day...heehee
    About the only way you can ruin a BlackBerry is by getting it wet. Even wiping out your operating system is recoverable. I didn't mean you couldn't download stuff, especially with your larger available memory. You just don't need to try to upgrade the OS the first day!

EDIT: to echo chrisy, your device will come from the store with the latest OS installed. There will eventually be a later OS. That's when you'll want to upgrade. There are beta versions of OS4.5 available now, but I don't recommend installing beta operating systems.
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-16-08 at 02:38 PM. Reason: upgrade info
    08-16-08 02:36 PM
    well eripmu all the downloading and deleting is all up too you ...its all on how you want your bb to preform for you like when you buy a car some ppl want a diff radio and rims and some ppl want it stocked
    so it all depends on the needs and wants you may have for your bb and chrissy is right if you try some app and you dont like it disinstall it and alot of apps come with a free trial
    so last but not least welcome to bb and cb and enjoy the best adiction out there
    08-16-08 02:37 PM
    As Jeff suggests there is no rush. There is plently to keep you entertained with what's already installed on the phone. Once you have got used to things you can then start to experiment. Have fun

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 02:39 PM
    wow!!!! this site is so great and haven't even got my BB yet. You peeps are a great help. It looks like ill become more addicted when i get it.

chrisy, jeff, bx2md, grietmaster. thx for your help
    08-16-08 02:45 PM
    wow!!!! this site is so great and haven't even got my BB yet. You peeps are a great help. It looks like ill become more addicted when i get it.

chrisy, jeff, bx2md, grietmaster. thx for your help
    you're welcome. remember to download the Crackberry launcher! it should be your first download!

CrackBerry.com WAP Homepage
    08-16-08 02:46 PM
    People talking about downloading are either discussing upgrading their operating system to a later version, which you should not attempt until you've had more experience with your device, or they're talking about 3rd party apps. There are many useful utilities, mapping programs, etc. that people install on their phones. The phones come with basic capabilities, plus a lot of memory-wasting fluff. Fluff is in the eye of the beholder, but there's plenty on the out-of-the box BlackBerry. Remove that, and you can install the programs you want.

Since you were fortunate enough to get an 8330, you already have 32M more memory to start with than any other BlackBerry, so running out of memory won't be a problem for you as soon as it is for others. The Stoner Procedure linked in my sig will help you remove the fluff and optimize your device for your purposes. But you shouldn't get too deep into that right away, either. Take time to get to know your BlackBerry, and all that will be much easier later.

Oh, and Welcome to the forums! For good, general information, be sure to check out the Getting Started Guide and the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    First, welcome to CB. Second, Jeff's post points you in the right direction here.
    08-16-08 02:48 PM
    I'll be getting my blackberry curve in sept. so i'm on here trying to learn some tricks of the trade of owning a bb and what things i should do first when i receive it. what i have noticed is a lot of people are saying download this download that, get rid of this and that. i can understand that i might want to delete some things that i probably wont use but WHY all the downloading to make the phone better. doesn't it come with the best stuff when you receive it?
    Welcome to CB.

"The best stuff" is definitely relative. What may be a useful or fun application to me may not necessarily be for the next user. One of the great aspects of the Blackberry is the ability to personalize it. This is why we all download apps.

Now, as for getting rid of certain things on our Blackberries, this is generally to free up memoury, as the current devices on the market have a very finite amount of memoury to work with. Even the CDMA Curves which boast 96MB of flash memoury are lacking, IMHO. Deleting certain apps and features free up memoury on our devices... Also, most usersd (myself included) simply delete apps they don't use. Hope this information helps.
    08-16-08 02:53 PM
    right now i really dont have anymore questions. kind of wish I did though. this is fun. lol. Thank you SO SO much everyone.
    08-16-08 03:01 PM
    right now i really dont have anymore questions. kind of wish I did though. this is fun. lol. Thank you SO SO much everyone.
    Lol... You will, give it time..
    08-16-08 03:03 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry, Congrats on your new Curve.
    08-16-08 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD