So I finally got my BB Curve in the mail today and right now it's charging.

I've been waiting a week for this so you can imagine how much I want to play around on it. But it's charging. Will I negatively affect its first charge if I play with it?

If I must, I can leave it alone overnight, but I don't want to torture myself if it's for nothing.
    07-29-08 07:22 PM
    no i did it with mine and its fine welcome to CB!
    07-29-08 07:35 PM
    It actually shouldn't take that long to charge. Welcome and enjoy the site!
    07-29-08 07:37 PM
    It's a good idea to get a good charge on it but not nearly as important nowdays as it was with the old style NiCd or NiMh batteries.
    07-29-08 07:37 PM
    Hi all! Thanks for the welcome.

I thought Lithium-Ion batteries didn't have memory either but folks online are saying to charge it overnight and/or empty the battery the first couple of times.

I want to get it activated tonight so I guess I'll be doing a few things on it. I'll keep it plugged in though.
    07-29-08 08:01 PM
    Hello and welcome.

I agree with pj41 re batt types, it is still recomended to leave it charging. But what's more important is let it go flat completely and charge up again (battery conditioning). Do that twice and then you're pretty safe to charge up when it is 'half' full.

The above would maximise the batt stand by/talk time potential.
    07-29-08 08:04 PM
    Just don't let it go completely flat all the time. Li-ion battery are only good for so many cycles. It is best to put it on the charger often.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-08 08:41 PM
    Just don't let it go completely flat all the time. Li-ion battery are only good for so many cycles. It is best to put it on the charger often.

Hi Brinky, so there is nothing wrong when u charge your BB with battery "half full" or putting in the charger everynite although battery is almost full, thanks
    07-30-08 11:03 AM
    Hi Brinky, so there is nothing wrong when u charge your BB with battery "half full" or putting in the charger everynite although battery is almost full, thanks
    Well the problem is that I have never found anything definite that says what is best and I am no engineer or battery expert. However after doing many, many Google searches the majority opinion is that with li-ion batteries it is best to charge them often even if they don't need it. So I would say yes there is nothing wrong with keeping it topped off whenever you can.
    07-30-08 01:37 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!! I played with my Curve while it was charging for the first time and everythings working great. I would say its safe.

07-30-08 02:14 PM
    working for VZW, our QA supervisor said the best way to charge the curve (and any other Li-Ion battery) is overnight, every night.
    07-31-08 10:54 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

Most people mess with it when they first get it. You will also notice your battery comes with some juice. What is recommended is to charge it all the way and let it drain all the way for a couple of cycles to maximize your battery's life.
    08-01-08 10:55 AM
    Hello and welcome to CB! Enjoy it! BTW, I put mine on the charger every night before bed. I use it up almost down to 10-15% every day, so I charge it every night. I guess if it wears out the battery, I'll just.....buy another battery.
    08-05-08 12:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD