Hi all, just registered to the forum after much lurking. Great site, has helped me out many times with my BB Pearl. I've had the phone for maybe 6 months.

Today I was texting with my phone, which has always been on the SureType option, vs Multitap. It was popping up stuff that I guess it just learned from my mistakes or whatever the case may be. This was getting in the way of my texts, and email.

So I went to the Word list and clicked to remove all learning data. I think that what I thought I was doing at the time is different than what I actually did.... Now the phone is not typing like when it was new (which is what I wanted, to start clean but; when it was new, it still had basic words it knew, it also used to punctuate for me, such as change i to I or im to I'm).

The phone is being really difficult to type with right now, it is saving words to the word list but it isn't working in my texts and emails. I have to lock in each letter at a time and it's just not how the phone was working before, it's pretty frustrating! I played w/the disable option for SMS text but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I hope I explained this alright! What I want to know is if there is some way to reset the Word list or any of this so that I can start "fresh" with typing, and get rid of this problem of it not recognizing anything, or whatever you want to call it?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in ad. for any help!
    10-28-08 10:11 PM
    restore from a back-up. easy
    10-28-08 10:19 PM
    How do you do that?
    Thanks.
    10-28-08 10:23 PM
    Assuming you have made a recent back-up. Open Desktop Manager. Then back/restore select restore. Choose the back up to use and your done.
    10-28-08 10:30 PM
    There are two different issues at play.

The first is the SureType Custom Dictionary. This is where SureType saves the words it has learned. I edit the dictionary to remove my mistakes and leave proper nouns and specific words that SureType does not have in it's default dictionaries.

The second is AutoText. AutoText is the program that corrects words like its to it's. You can edit it to include additional text substitutions like a word processor.

As pltaylor suggested, if you want to recover the deleted word lists, you can use BlackBerry Desktop Manager / Restore / Advanced Restore to selectively retrieve individual data bases for SureType and AutoText.
    10-29-08 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD