Ok I know that might be a very stupid question to ask in the heat of the .umm this site ..but anyways I got myself this blackberry (it was more like old fashioned gift..something I got from my elder brother who bought a better model ) and I am kinda confused like what's so special about this whole device?

The thing is I live far far away ....in Pakistan and people know Blackberry here as much as Americans know about football. Considering Blackberry bumped into my life (and not the other way round) I need to know what's so special about it and how does it basically works?

I heard this whole pull/push email thing but then it says it need some special service from my office exchange server and my other crappy mobile service.

Anyways, can we start from point zero and can anybody tell me how can I activate this God Gifted capability of it's to pull email when neither my service supports Blackberry thingy nor my office Exchange server ?

Thanks for wasting your time reading this crap

ps: Though BrickBreaker is a nice game. I might get fired from my office because of it
    03-21-07 02:30 AM
    A BlackBerry is a 'pocket computer with 24/7/365 internet access, to get emails, etc'.

Play with it for a few days, and I bet you become ADDICTED, period!
    03-21-07 04:17 AM
    He meant play with the BB....
    03-21-07 08:13 AM
    The Blackberry does have a special data plan that needs to be activated in order to take advantage of its full potential. Without that plan, you won't be able to use all of its fun features

BTW, do you know what model it is (I'm just being nosey)
    03-21-07 09:18 AM
    And.. do you know if you wireless provider even offers a Blackberry Data Plan?
    03-21-07 11:24 AM
    The applications also make this a wonderful device. Finding information on world/local news, stocks (live feed), movie times and info. (anywhere), free apps. that bring a lot of information to ur device, Internet Browser works very well and on and on and on - basic features are easy to use (alarm, calculator, calendar, address book, speakerphone)....of course as it has already been noted, having live up-to-the minute email is completely addiciting!!

Which model is it?

Enjoy getting to know your new BEST FRIEND!!!
    03-21-07 01:59 PM
    Which model is it?

Enjoy getting to know your new BEST FRIEND!!!
    Dont worry MMB talks to the BB all the time...like when you see the nutters in the street!
    03-21-07 03:29 PM
    Yap!! It really annoys my "real" people friends....

Dont worry MMB talks to the BB all the time...like when you see the nutters in the street!
    03-21-07 03:48 PM
    My model is 7100t. Yea I know it's kinda outta fashion right now. I might as well buy the latest BB if it really makes me addicted as you guys so confidently claim.

My wireless carrier DOES offer this BB data plan but they have come up with this absurd reasoning that unless I buy a BB device from them they won't be able to activate the data plan on my current mobile. wierdos.

Anyways, all the features you guys mentioned, one can even get in normal GPRS-EDGE activated mobile phones. So what's the big deal of BB?
    also one more thing, are there are any good FREE applications for BB?
    03-25-07 07:09 AM
    Who is your provider? Also, what makes it so addicting... it's hard to explain, but once you start using it, you won't be able to put it down. Lastly, if you look in the Software and Accessories forum, you'll find a Sticky at the top of the page that has lots of great software listed, some free and some not.
    03-25-07 10:08 AM
    I am guessing yo have a 14 Day Money Back Scheme....Take on the BB from them - they will add the tariff, and then send the phone back and use the 7100t...They will indoubtedly leace on the BB Plan...

But this is ridiculous about not giving you a service just cos they arent subsiding your phone....

I would threaten some legal action!
    03-25-07 02:25 PM
    It's Mobilink Pakistan.

They offer some wierd packages named as BIS and BES (mentioned here which I have no understanding of.

EDIT: bah, it ain't allowing me to post a URL.
    03-26-07 03:55 AM
    I am guessing yo have a 14 Day Money Back Scheme....Take on the BB from them - they will add the tariff, and then send the phone back and use the 7100t...They will indoubtedly leace on the BB Plan...

But this is ridiculous about not giving you a service just cos they arent subsiding your phone....

I would threaten some legal action!
    bah, If only it was this simple here in Pakistan. Its more or less a monopoly because they are the only service providing BB.

Other telecom services, provide there own solutions for pull mail.

Still I am trying to find some contacts inside the company to come up with some hack. After all it's technically possible.
    03-26-07 03:57 AM
    You won't find a way to hack data service into the BB. You'll need the BIS service if you just want personal use. The BES service is if you were to have your BB connect through your corporate server.
    03-26-07 11:56 AM
    I thought there was always a hack but there really isnt....

Depending on how bad you want BB - the Service Provider maybe your only option
    03-26-07 01:10 PM
    He's right. Mobilink is the only provider offering BBs in Pakistan. I'm told RIM does only one contract per country and Mobilink happened to be the ones here. The service is not too bad actually, unlimited data plan for about $25/month. But yes I had the same experience when they refused to activate an old 7100 due to technical limitations.
    04-17-07 04:13 AM
    I am mudassar from Pakistan and an addict user. You can contact me if you need any first hand info on blackberry my cell 3072225502

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-08 11:25 AM
    The thing is I live far far away ....in Pakistan and people know Blackberry here as much as Americans know about football.
    I'm guessing you are talking about what we Americans call 'soccer'? We actually know a lot about soccer. We call 'football' what you might call American Football, and of course we know a lot about that.

It's amazing the misunderstanding some cultures have of one another.
    04-11-08 12:34 PM
    Welcome to CB!!
    04-12-08 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD