Hi all,

I just bought a red curve 8320 last week. I'm trying it out for a bit before I decide if it's a worthwhile investment for work/play.

Anyway, I'm having a difficult time getting consistant WIFI and it's bugging me. At home, I have internet access often. But at work and outside the apt..no. For instance, a few minutes ago I tried connecting with an open network. Though the signal was strong, the connection failed. I've been getting this message:

W010: wifi failed

What is up? Please share so I can be in the crackberry club.
    09-02-08 06:58 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

If this issue is not happening at home, then it's the outside networks. If it is happening at home as well, then try doing a battery pull or handheld wipe. (backup your data before doing so)

Options --> Security Options --> General Settings --> Hit the menu key --> Wipe Handheld
    09-04-08 03:03 AM
    That error message can mean inadequate signal strength or a security conflict. I am guessing security.

A broadcasting router can appear to be open, but still have MAC filtering. That would prevent you from making the connection.

If you have access to the router, troubleshooting starts with resetting it to factory condition. That will eliminate security issues until you can establish the connection. Once connected, security can be re-introduced.
    09-04-08 10:50 AM
    Welcome to crackberry.com, great advice from Reed (Why the change of usernames?)
    09-04-08 11:50 AM
    09-04-08 11:51 AM
    Thanks for sharing tips and advice!

So, I have no problems at home. But I am getting spotty coverage outside my apt -- at work, at restaurants, taking public transit (above ground). Of course, away from home I don't have access to a router..I'm simply trying to use open networks around me.

So, how does one get internet while away from home? I keep doing the "set up wifi," "scan for networks," routine.. and I'm not getting anywhere.
    09-04-08 06:50 PM
    Yes, thanks for this.. i went through it quickly the other night, and all my settings seem to be correct.

Susan
    09-04-08 06:55 PM
    Glad you're up and running. Welcome to CB!
    09-04-08 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD