I am currently a Verizon customer. I am now eligible for an upgrade and I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the 8830. I have never had a Blackberry and I can only say that I cannot wait to trade in my Treo for a new Blackberry. Also, I could switch to AT&T next month b/c my contract ends June 15. I pose this question to experience Blackberry users and veteran Crackberry members. What should I do? I love the camera option on my Treo. I really do not need GPS. I use my Treo for business and I look forward to Blackberry's email capability. I like Verizon's network but I don't need a world phone. I feel like the Curve would be a perfect combination for me but it is not available through Verizon. I entertain all opinions b/c I clearly need help. Thanks.
    05-26-07 04:15 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com!

As for your question, it sounds like a Curve would suit your needs well (camera, email, and you say you don't need a GPS). While the phone would be great for you, only you can really decide how happy you are with Verizon, and you would do well to check with Cingular/AT&T customers in your area to find out how coverage is and if they experience many dropped calls or calls that never seem to make it to their handsets. A little research will go a long way!
    05-26-07 04:20 PM
    Thanks for your input.
    05-26-07 04:23 PM
    I live in Atlanta and I know many who are satisfied with the ATT/Cingular service on their phones. However, I do not know anyone who has a Blackberry thru ATT in the Atlanta area.
    05-26-07 04:40 PM
    I have to say T-Mobile is much better service (I've had both). Plus T-Mobile is much cheaper for BIS/BES service...
    05-26-07 05:34 PM
    TMo gets almost no reception where I live, and NONE where I attend school (i called them to ask about service in vermont and the service guy actually laughed when I asked if the data service would work there) so that's out...really the only two choices here are verizon and cingular, verizon being the best but also the worst to be tied to.

since switching to ATT and being able to do whatever I want with my phone, life has gotten so much better.
    05-27-07 03:39 PM
    I am in exactly the same boat as you! Except my Verizon contract ends in August. I asked around about local coverage and my neighbors were not too enthusiastic. Some said they would wait to hit the freeway before making calls, etc. Doesn't sound good to me since I like having service close to home.

I decided on the Curve for 1 important reason -- size. I HATE the huge devices. I never use my PDA because it weighs me down. My husband has the new Treo and although it's nice, it's really heavy and bulky too.

So here is my plan. Buy the Curve (next week I hope) and then try it out. My local store said I had a few days to try it and make sure coverage is ok. If it is, great. If not, then I will return it and suck it up until Verizon gets it on it's network in the fall (I am guessing). I have been really happy with Verizon's service and coverage so that would probably be the optimal solution -- but of course that owuld require way too much patience on my part.

Oh, almost forgot, one teeny little part of me still wants to see the iPhone....

Katherine
    05-27-07 03:49 PM
    I bought the Treo 750 originally, and when it froze six times in one week I got really annoyed with it. Glad I traded to the pearl, which is smaller than my razr...

I want the curve, so I will have to see it when it comes out, because I still have 21 days to trade this phone in with ATT if I want something better.
    05-27-07 05:04 PM
    I am currently a Verizon customer. I am now eligible for an upgrade and I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the 8830. I have never had a Blackberry and I can only say that I cannot wait to trade in my Treo for a new Blackberry. Also, I could switch to AT&T next month b/c my contract ends June 15. I pose this question to experience Blackberry users and veteran Crackberry members. What should I do? I love the camera option on my Treo. I really do not need GPS. I use my Treo for business and I look forward to Blackberry's email capability. I like Verizon's network but I don't need a world phone. I feel like the Curve would be a perfect combination for me but it is not available through Verizon. I entertain all opinions b/c I clearly need help. Thanks.
    Is coverage an option? Everyone will have an opinion and give you an earfull if you ask...so you must try for yourself. Go to your local Cingular store and ask to demo the service for a few days. They should give you a demo for free, if they don't move on to the next dealer. My experience (having sold wireless on a national level for 11 years) is Cingular is better, by far. BUt you must see for yourself.

Also, you should be able to beat up the cingular rep and get a better deal on the curve than the 8830 as it will be a new activation with a data plan vs. an upgrade on verizon. They are paid $100 in comission just for the data plan so you can def. get $100 off 2yr MAP pricing if you go the cingular route.

I am trying to make the exact same decision myself right now (8800 vs. 8300). My problem is I get my Verizon line for free and while I have a Cingular demo as well my wife carries it (cingular won't give me 2 demo lines). SO I am actually considering paying full retail for service on my primary line and buying a curve with cingular - that's how confident I am in cingular. Ihave been dropping calls like crazy on verizon in the philadelphia area - does not make sense but it's true.

Or I can wait until verizon eventually gets the curve and pick up an 8800 in the meantime because afterall, free service is free service
    05-29-07 09:30 PM
    I was in the same boat as the poster and choose to get the 8830 to replace my Treo. Whereas I hated to give up the camera option, I do not feel a twinge of regret. I love the 8830 and now if I could only figure out what all it can do...
    05-31-07 01:51 PM
    I was in the same boat as the poster and choose to get the 8830 to replace my Treo. Whereas I hated to give up the camera option, I do not feel a twinge of regret. I love the 8830 and now if I could only figure out what all it can do...
    AT $515...current Dealer Cost for the 8830...I am going to wait. I AM going to stay with verizon because I simply can't justify paying $150 per month (I need 3000 min) to Cingular for voice just to have the phone I want (Curve) when my Verizon voice is free. Hopefully the dealer cost goes down after the first month (the usual trend) or I may be looking for a used 8703 on ebay. I am sure Verizon will have the curve eventually as well so as in most things, I must be patient and be fiscally responsible.

- Osh
    05-31-07 02:02 PM
    I have to say T-Mobile is much better service (I've had both). Plus T-Mobile is much cheaper for BIS/BES service...

T-Mobile is cheaper across the board but up here in the north (Philadelphia) the service T-Mobile provides is horrible.
    Verizon has the better service up here.
    06-01-07 10:43 AM
    I have to agree, service out weighs the price of service any day of the week! I was with Cingular (AT&T) from 2001 to March 2007! I had to port my number to T-Mobile because the service was so bad. No point paying for something you can't use...
    06-01-07 10:57 AM
    between the 2.0 mega pix camera and the roxio media 9 software which will automatically convert your songs videos and pics to fit on your curve. plus the fact that the 8830 has two OS's takes away from the battery life. The curve is small and cute and it also has an intelligent MP3 player that when you type the artist everything from that artist will pop up. Also blackberry is number 3 on reception for AT&T.
    06-01-07 11:28 AM
    When I had to pay for my own cell phones I used T-mobile and suffered with mediocre service. Now my company pays for both of my phones so I opted for the better service.
    06-01-07 11:35 AM
    I had a PocketPC XV 6600 for three years and it just died so I switched to the Crackberry from VZW. I must say it is a far better device and smaller to boot, I was lloking forward to GPS and TeleNav (a friend showed me his at AT&T) and I like the idea of getting rid of my iTrek GPS Puck and loading the iGuidance software (old and outdated POIs) but alas it is not to be.

I commend VZW for finally getting a solid business platform but condem them for the handling of GPS. Booo Hiss...

I did work around the GPS issue though, see my other post for directions if you are interested...

One
    06-01-07 06:40 PM
    Hello All,

I am a very near future crackberry user in the Atlanta area. I am in the market for a BB Curve or 8830. My dilema is that im a Sprint customer and At&T currently has the curve. Sprint is getting the 8830 in July. I like the curve better (because of the size, camera and media capabilities and I dont need GPS or a lot of business functionality) and the 8830 is my 2nd choice. But I am holding out to see if Sprint will give me a better deal on the phone and the plan with my upgrade (they owe me $150 off if I upgrade my phone). So my question is spend more and get the phone I want (Because I have pre-addiction syndrome, Im a text head and need a crackberry NOW!) or hold off to see if I can get a better deal on my 2nd choice crackberry. Im wondering if/when sprint will get the curve. Anyone know anything about that? I love this site by the way, I learned a lot from reading you guy's comments.

*sigh* decisions..decisions...
    06-04-07 04:58 PM
    I just changed last week from Sprint/Treo 650 to Verizon/8830. I loved my Treo but so far, I think I like the 8830 better.

First, 8830 seems much faster than the Treo in terms of basic operation. I'm really liking the track ball. And for email junkies, I think there is no comparison -- the speed, the ability to check 10 different accounts at once -- I like email much better on the 8830. I have a separate Canon camera I keep in my briefcase, so I never used the Treo camera anyway.

As for the size of the 8830, it's similar in height and width to the Treo (just a bit smaller), but it's much slimmer so it slips into your shirt pocket much easier.

T-mobile doesn't have good coverage in my area so for me it was between Sprint and Verizon and Verizon seems a little stronger.

Just my 2 cents...
    06-04-07 08:30 PM
    I've got a Treo 700p that I'm upset to give up. The applications are great to have on the phone and I'm left with little to choose on the 8830. From what I understand the differences between the Curve and the 8830 aren't large except if you're on Verizon's service, which should never be chosen unless you have a real reception problem. Since I'm stuck with them for work I will be getting the 8830 instead of the Curve, although it would have been nice to have the Camera. I'm not sure how EDGE vs. EVDO will do. Regarding coverage - Sprint was always very acceptable. Given the tradeoffs I'd now choose them any day in comparison.

DanB - did you tether your Treo to your laptop? I did with my Treo 700p for no extra cost thanks to software. I don't think this is possible with Verizon, who want to rape us for an extra $40/month to do this on top of the $45/month they charge now.
    06-06-07 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD