Just got the 8330 - first blackberry.

I know I need to install the desktop manager - do I install it from the disks verizon gave me or from the website (4.5 version)?

Also, I've seen reference to "device software". Is this something else I need to install from the disks Verizon gave me? I have two disks #1 Blackberry User Tools and #2 VZAccess Manager Software.

Really not sure what I am doing. (Also...should I be considering OS 4.5 or just hold off on that one? Wondering if it is better to get that installed before I start loading up the BB with applications?)

Thanks!
    07-27-08 12:00 PM
    The VZaccess manager cd is only if you plan on teethering your bb to your computer desktop manager is on the other cd that came with your phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 12:03 PM
    Really not sure what I am doing. (Also...should I be considering OS 4.5 or just hold off on that one? Wondering if it is better to get that installed before I start loading up the BB with applications?)
    You do need to install the same OS that is on your device on your pc. You can get it from your carriers website.

You should backup your device regularly, that way you will be able to restore it if you do something you should not have.

I would recommed that you get to know your device a little and read some of the threads and how to's before doing an upgrade, but that is your choice.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    07-27-08 12:59 PM
    You do need to install the same OS that is on your device on your pc. You can get it from your carriers website.
    Just for clarification...this is something else that needs to be loaded on my PC - aside from the BB Desktop Manager?
    07-27-08 02:15 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    07-27-08 02:22 PM
    Yes, you need to install the DM and the OS that is on the device.
    07-27-08 02:25 PM
    Just got the 8330 - first blackberry.

I know I need to install the desktop manager - do I install it from the disks verizon gave me or from the website (4.5 version)?

Also, I've seen reference to "device software". Is this something else I need to install from the disks Verizon gave me? I have two disks #1 Blackberry User Tools and #2 VZAccess Manager Software.

Thanks!
    Yes you can go ahead and install desktop manager from the User Tools disc that they gave you, don't worry about going to the website and doing it. You also should download the device software from Verizon's website HERE

I would hold off on upgrading to OS 4.5 for now. It's better to take a while to get to know your phone and figure out how it works before installing an upgraded OS, as it would probably just confuse you at this point.

But WELCOME!!
    07-27-08 02:27 PM
    I'm totally lost here (I think). I downloaded and installed the software on my PC, but can't find it....how do I run it? What's it called?

I see that it's on my PC, because if I go to control panel>uninstall software, I see that it's there (called BlackBerry Device Software v4.5), but, I can't find it anywhere on my PC....no desktop icon, it's not in the list of programs from the start menu, when I do a search for BlackBerry, it doesn't show...

any ideas?

Thanks!
    06-14-09 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD