Hey y'all! My name's Karen. Am from Dallas, TX. Fell in love with my new 8110... and then I knocked it off the kitchen counter. Have only had it 10 days, and am already sending it back for a new one. Screen/keypad not working. I was, however, able to backup all of my contacts, etc, on my computer. Although, I forgot to send back the little software CD and I'm going to be charged for that as they're replacing my phone. Ugh. All in all, though, LOVE this phone!! My husband keeps taunting with the line "I'm gonna get an iPhone" and I keep telling him "go right ahead". I feel lost without my phone *sniff*... Any suggestions for chat? I use Yahoo and MSN quite a bit, but was a bit shocked to learn very recently that the messages are sent over SMS and not data. Have heard of jivetalk and a few others, but need a consensus on what's best. Also if you're using one of those programs, does it kick out/sign you out when you receive a phone call. Right - off to do the dishes.

xx Karen
    06-12-08 01:28 PM
    JiveTalk!! Its the way to go. Download the trial at Beejive : instant messaging, just about anywhere and you'll never go back
    06-12-08 01:58 PM
    +1 for JiveTalk. Never have an issue with getting booted, or bad connection. Awesome app.
    06-12-08 02:07 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and sorry to hear about your recent loss

I don't know what I would do if I lost my Berry like that!! Are they replacing for free?? Or what are they making you pay?
    (just curious)

As for IM, I am pretty sure all IMs are now sent thru the data service and do not count as SMS!! So I am thinking that is good news for you! Also, I have heard that JiveTalk is amazing... check out their website from the link azeis posted

Just remind your hubby that he can love his iPhone and you can love your Berry and still live in harmony. haha

I have used Macs all of my life and the new iPhone is amazing... but I gotta have my berry.

(and, for no reason were my comments intended to cause ANOTHER iPhone versus Blackberry / Apple vs RIM debate!)
    06-12-08 02:10 PM
    Not ALL IM's are sent as data - the dedicated IM programs pretty much all use SMS, at least on AT&T. That's why I love JiveTalk.
    06-12-08 02:14 PM
    Free Messengers:

WebMessenger (my favorite versus Ramble IM.)
    Ramble IM
    EQO (Still in beta, may start charging afterwards)

WebMessenger being my favorite.
    06-13-08 03:12 AM
    And welcome 2 Crackberry.com
    06-13-08 03:15 AM
    I had downloaded Webmessenger and it wasnt working and before I deleted it a couple weeks ago I tried it and it's working fine now.
    It uses data right?
    06-13-08 04:55 AM
    I have to agree with Chaz jivetalk is the way to go. Great program. 10 days and your going through withdraws. Can you say hooked? As for your husband I would tell him that great you go ahead and but that kids toy, but men own BB. Welcome to the club!!
    06-13-08 05:01 AM
    Oh my goodness, they're charging you for the CD? That's kind of bad. Sorry about your accident, hang in there your new one will be there soon. If it makes you feel any better my hubby wants a T-Mobile Wing. Ugh. Welcome to the CB Family! : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 05:07 AM
    Welcome to the addiction!! I am another one who uses JiveTalk! Great app!!
    06-13-08 05:53 AM
    Guess I will give this a whirl; AIM isn't available on my Verizon BB, for some ungodly reason.

egg
    06-13-08 07:16 AM
    I had downloaded Webmessenger and it wasnt working and before I deleted it a couple weeks ago I tried it and it's working fine now.
    It uses data right?
    Yes, WebMessenger uses data only.
    06-13-08 07:17 AM
    welcome to cb!
    06-13-08 07:33 AM
    Hi. Welcome to crack!
    06-13-08 08:52 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    06-13-08 11:59 AM
    Hi and welcome.
    06-13-08 10:18 PM
    Thanks Chaz
    06-15-08 07:39 AM
    Does chat with yahoo messenger and windows live messenger work as data on the BB. I have the SEP with sprint so everything is unlimited. addicted to chat
    06-15-08 07:48 AM
    Hey y'all! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Life has kind of gotten in the way!! (2 kids under 4.... ugh!)

Yes, they're replacing it for free. But I have to pay for a new SIM card (because I kept the old one so I wasn't completely phone-less), and I have yet to hear about whether or not they're going to charge me for the CD. Totally stupid!

I'm also on AT&T and am about 90% sure all IMs are sent over as SMS. A colleague of my husband's didn't know that, and was charged an unholy amount of money for all the "SMS messages" he sent outside of what he had on his plan. (consequently, AT&T refunded the charges because they didn't tell him that IMs were sent that way). I've got myself a little 1500 message package deal, but am going to download jivetalk once I get my BB back. (which should be Tuesday, hopefully)

Yes, totally and completely hooked on it. It's fantastic. Love it. My husband has the new (and not yet released) Sidekick (aaahh... the perks of his job), and the only thing it's got on the BB is it's a bit more IM friendly. (and a zillion times better than the current Slide or LX) He's still going on about the iPhone, but is also lusting over the Sony Ericcson X1.

When will he learn???!

Thanks for the hellos and welcomes. Will let you guys know when my new BB arrives.

xxx
    06-15-08 08:13 PM
    Welcome to the forums!
    06-15-08 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD