Hello Everyone,

I used to have Z10 before that I had Bold. I don't have a specific reason but I exchanged my Z10 for iPhone 6S. After 4 years my iPhone is closing to retire and I think there is nothing better than a Passport for my emails, browsing and some podcast. I just wanted to know will I be able to use a BB10 Device for years, in the same usage mentioned earlier.

Thanks
    09-12-20 12:51 AM
    It depends on where you are, and what you expect from your phone.

On the issue of carrier compatibility, make sure it's the right model with the bands for the carrier you plan to use.

In the US, and on AT&T, you have until Feb 2022. That's when they shut down 3G, and re-farm LTE to strictly VoLTE - using a VoLTE service that AT&T simply won't provision for any BB10 phone (even their own). So any BB10 phone is useless on AT&T after that date. T-Mobile and Verizon are doing the same thing, but on different schedules, and may be more lenient on provisioning.

Outside the US, things look better for a longer time, but I dont know details.

The other issue is how you plan to use the phone. What apps you plan to use - if any beyond the stock apps. If you do plan to use other apps, even android apps, we can help you sort out what works and what doesn't. Just let is know what you want to do.
    iversions likes this.
    09-12-20 09:14 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I used to have Z10 before that I had Bold. I don't have a specific reason but I exchanged my Z10 for iPhone 6S. After 4 years my iPhone is closing to retire and I think there is nothing better than a Passport for my emails, browsing and some podcast. I just wanted to know will I be able to use a BB10 Device for years, in the same usage mentioned earlier.

Thanks
    For the basics that you have listed, the short answer is, probably. All these BB10 devices are up there in age and hardware breakdowns are inevitable. Then there is the question of compatibility with service providers (depending where you live). Personally, I believe that basic calls, texting and email functions will be ok for the foreseeable future in my country (Canada) but ymmv. By the way, browsing is slow compared to any modern device these days and is the MAIN reason I have other phones. The native browser is ancient and breaking down and sideloaded android browsers do work, but are slow.
    iversions likes this.
    09-12-20 09:20 AM
    My nephew still refuses to give up his passport I gave him and as others have said, he carries a second device to do his web surfing and mainly uses the passport for email and texting.

He does know the with the carriers changing how they are restructuring their networks, the sad truth is the end time will come and it will make a fine alarm clock or conversion piece. But he said he can live with that and continues to use his passport.
    iversions likes this.
    09-12-20 05:16 PM
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks
    15 Months max.... but could be less depending on your carrier and their shutdown of 3G networks.

Also some question about OAuth 2.0 implementation in BB10... Exchange users might not be able to use BB10 much longer, or if a corporate email system moves up to TLS1.3 only level of SSL.

If you have used an iPhone for four years.... why not stick with it, but upgrade to something that isn't nearing the end of it's life. Like buying a 15 year old dog for your kids....
    iversions likes this.
    09-15-20 09:53 AM
    Thanks, everyone for the insight, I didn't factor in the 3G Network, I am from India and had a Z10 from Canada which had 4G and even back then I just had only one carrier in my city that supported 2300band. One more reason to go back is I just love the BB10 experience and can't seem to find anything similar. I dont know what to do maybe i wont buy anything at all.
    09-16-20 02:23 AM
    yes in my workplace they have just implemented OAuth 2. Also in India iPhones are priced way higher than other countries which means another 1000USD for iPhone 11. I guess i have to forget about buying another BB.
    09-16-20 02:29 AM
    I have some social media apps from nemory studios last time i used BB and i am just fine with basic ones that come with the phone. I am from India and i guess they are reducing 3G network as everyone is already on 4G so that could be a problem for me. after reading everyones suggestions i think i can use a BB for 6months to a year and then i will have to search again.
    09-16-20 02:37 AM
    I have some social media apps from nemory studios last time i used BB and i am just fine with basic ones that come with the phone. I am from India and i guess they are reducing 3G network as everyone is already on 4G so that could be a problem for me. after reading everyones suggestions i think i can use a BB for 6months to a year and then i will have to search again.
    As Dunt says above, unfortunately just save your money for the modern device you’ll need. Get something in your region so it’s optimized for your area.
    09-16-20 07:34 AM