So,

I really want the storm but people are telling me that I'll regret not buying a phone with wi-fi.

How many emails how much data would I need to look at daily in order for me to NEED wifi.

Can anyone help me with this??
    11-21-08 02:17 PM
    i just got my first BB - a bold last night and let me tell you, the Wifi is incredible, I no longer stalk around my house with my laptop in hand, instead i just keep the 'berry in my pocket, so much nicer, and i no longer have to risk tripping over my dog and dropping/ ruining my $1000 laptop.
    11-21-08 06:38 PM
    You only need wi-fi if you do not want the data plan required to send and receive emails and web browsing, download apps, etc. Some carriers make the 30 dollar data plans mandatory while AT&T for example doesn't make you subscribe to the data plan but will "block" the data from your device on their end making it impossible to use data features and run up your bill. You can go either way but Verizon for example won't let you activate a blackberry device without paying for the data plan. Wi-fi gives you a free way to get online and check pop email and browse the web but you won't get the full push email experience without data enabled on the phone and paying for the data plan.
    11-22-08 05:19 AM
    Are you planning on traveling to places where you'd be roaming? International roaming on any provider isn't cheap. However, WiFi hot spots tend to be a lot more common in Europe/Asia than they are over in the US. So, an VOIP app such as skype could save you some money on international calling.

It really comes down to what you're going to be using it for. The Revision A 3G on the Storm is almost as good as WiFi, the VZW footprint is huge and you'll not encounter too many drops in service so long as you stay inside the US.

So, if staying in the US; Go with a Storm (if the touchscreen suits your fancy). If traveling to other countries; go with something that has WiFi built-in.
    11-22-08 05:31 AM
    AT&T for example doesn't make you subscribe to the data plan but will "block" the data from your device on their end making it impossible to use data features and run up your bill.
    AT&T doesn't block data without a plan, in fact they provide you with PayPerUse data that still allows you to search the web and use GPS Mapping apps like Google Maps, they just don't provide you with the service books necesary to use email. Of course PPU is not the way to go if you plan on doing a lot of web browsing and routine GPS, but it is not actually blocked.
    11-22-08 05:44 AM
    Wi-fi gives you a free way to get online and check pop email and browse the web but you won't get the full push email experience without data enabled on the phone and paying for the data plan.
    A small correction here. I spoke with Blackberry support yesterday and they said a wifi-enabled Blackberry still won't do pop3 accounts without at least the Blackberry plan ($10/month). I know, it seems crazy, but the guy swore up and down this is true. And so far my experience with my non-data plan, non-Blackberry plan Curve bears this out as there's no option to set up email accounts.
    11-22-08 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD