Hi, I am getting a blackberry curve from a friend next week and know aboslutely nothing about them.

For example, I was looking at rogers.com which is the provider I currently use, and they have email plans and data plans. The data plan is 6gb for $30, if I got the data plan, wouldnt that include emails?

Also, I heard the curve has GPS, if I get the data plan, could I use the GPS for no extra charge?

how much do average blackberry web surfers use every month in terms of MB?

And how is video playback on the curve? I was hoping to put some movies or something on it for the subway ride...

IS there anything else that I should know?

thanks everyone,
    09-13-08 11:09 AM
    For example, I was looking at rogers.com which is the provider I currently use, and they have email plans and data plans. The data plan is 6gb for $30, if I got the data plan, wouldnt that include emails? Yes
    Also, I heard the curve has GPS, if I get the data plan, could I use the GPS for no extra charge? The 8310 and 8330 curves have gps the 8320 has wi-fi and yes no charge with a data plan

Average use? Get unlimited and forget about it
    Video - Great but will vary depending on the files format
    09-13-08 11:14 AM
    Wlecome to the Crack!

You've already started off on the right foot by coming here! Check out the FAQ and How-To forum for tons of answers, and don't forget to search!

Video playback on the Curve is decent, provided you convert the vids properly.

The Curve 8310 has GPS. Ask your friend which one you're getting.

I'm not on Rogers, so I'm not familiar with their plans, but there is a Rogers forum here.

Enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 11:19 AM
    Welcome to addiction

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 11:22 AM
    thanks for the response... ive been browsing and there is something im a bit confused about...

what is BIS and BES? it seems that if I have a curve, the $30 6GB plan is no good cause its not the one for blackberry's or something?

anyone know more about this topic?
    09-13-08 11:28 AM
    ok, did a bit more reading... still a little confused but I think BES means for corporate use... or people that want to do work stuff.

Im currently a student, and plan to use the 6gb data plan for just surfing the web like I would at home.... would that mean that BIS is just fine for me?

thanks in advance everyone
    09-13-08 11:34 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com

The difference between the two are simple.

BIS - can be used for business, but can't be added to an exchange server. It is pretty much for personal emails and work email that is tied up to a server.

BES - is everything the BIS is and everything that it's not. This hooks up to exchange servers and provides wireless syncing of contacts and calendars appointments as well as email .
    09-13-08 12:09 PM
    Hi Leafs

I am also new to BB but loving every moment of it.

Yes, BIS is all you require, I use it myself. That will give you access to the web via your browser as well as e-mail. You can set up a new BlackBerry e-mail address if you don't already have an existing e-mail account or you can route your existing e-mail accounts to your device.

Cobus
    09-13-08 12:18 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is the correct plan for a consumer. BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) is correct for a business client using a corporate email system. You want BIS.

Rogers has several BlackBerry BIS plans. The entry level package is $15 and includes 1.5 Mb of data. The issue is, if you go over your data limit, it will cost $10 Mb.

The best of the current plans is $30 for 300 Mb.

However, until the end of this month, there is a promotional plan, $30 for BIS w/6 Gb, that was offered to BlackBerry clients to offset the bad press Mr Rogers received when he tried to gouge iPhone clients. Mr Jobs put his foot down, Mr Rogers blinked first.

There are two $30/6Gb plans. The one you want is the BlackBerry plan BB6GBIS.

Rogers.com-Wireless, Digital Cable, Hi-Speed Internet, Bundles

Most of our American friends with unlimited data plans report typical use of 100+ Mb.

If you choose to complete the deal, you must insure your seller has released the IMEI code with Rogers. In not, you will not be able register it.
    09-13-08 12:20 PM
    Welcome to CB and congrants on your Curve ur gonna love it.
    09-13-08 12:54 PM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    09-13-08 02:36 PM
    Welcome to cb!
    09-14-08 10:29 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!

~JEF~
    09-19-08 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD