I was wondering, I have a BB Curve 8300, and I was wondering if there was a way to set up Instant Messeng or Chat on the blackberry? if so, how do i do it?
    07-13-07 12:12 PM
    Download JiveTalk. You can also use BlackBerry Messenger to send IMs to other BB users via PIN messaging. Neither of these options cost you text messages, as they both go over the data network. AT&T BlackBerry service is not exactly Yahoo-friendly, but JiveTalk lets me use my Yahoo and MSN accounts no problem.

There are also several other options for IM on the BlackBerry. Try searching the forums or Google. IMHO, JiveTalk is all you need.
    07-13-07 12:48 PM
    rrrebo, is spot on!
    07-13-07 01:49 PM
    rrrebo, is spot on!
    Thankee, sai!
    07-13-07 01:54 PM
    OK, I'm not sure what's happening with my BB Messenger. I have the PIN for someone I work with, and we were trying to test it. I added her PIN to her contact information. Then I went in to BB Messenger, and chose "compose PIN". Typed my "Testing" in the subject and body, then sent it on it's way.

I got the following error message: Transaction error - general failure

Does it matter that I'm on AT&T and she's not???

oh.. and this was my first attempt at using the BB messenger.
    07-13-07 02:18 PM
    Nope, PIN messages work across carriers. I PIN my Nextel buddy all the time.

If you are seeing an option to "Compose PIN," you are probably in the Messages section, and NOT in BlackBerry Messenger. In BBM, when you highlight a contact and open the menu, you get choices for "PIN %contactname%" or"Start Conversation.

BB Messenger, like other IM apps, requires that you add people to your Contacts list in the app itself. You need to open BBM, go to Add A Contact, and choose her from the list. Make sure to choose to send the request to her PIN and not her e-mail. It works better and faster that way, IMO. She needs to accept the request and do the same for you. Once you have accepted each other, you should be able to chat in BBM.
    07-13-07 03:22 PM
    Nope, PIN messages work across carriers. I PIN my Nextel buddy all the time.

If you are seeing an option to "Compose PIN," you are probably in the Messages section, and NOT in BlackBerry Messenger. In BBM, when you highlight a contact and open the menu, you get choices for "PIN %contactname%" or"Start Conversation.

BB Messenger, like other IM apps, requires that you add people to your Contacts list in the app itself. You need to open BBM, go to Add A Contact, and choose her from the list. Make sure to choose to send the request to her PIN and not her e-mail. It works better and faster that way, IMO. She needs to accept the request and do the same for you. Once you have accepted each other, you should be able to chat in BBM.
    perhaps she hasn't accepted me? I sent the request to her to add me, and she shows up in my "pending" list in BBM. But, when I PIN her from the pending contact, that's when I get the general failure.
    07-13-07 07:01 PM
    You can't send a message to a pending contact...

Wait till its been accepted...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-07 08:49 PM
    bringing this to the front again, as I've been on vacation at the beach for a week , and still haven't gotten this to work.

One of the gals at work PIN'd me(the one who's PIN I added to her contact info, and she's listed as a "pending contact"), and I replied to her PIN. It didn't go through, and I got a weird EMail on my comcast account from [email protected], with a .dat attachment stating

"This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld and an
    associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server."

I got several of these while I was on vacation, too.... not quite sure what the heck they were, but I deleted them anyway.

Off to work in the morning, to see if I can get this PIN stuff straightened out......
    07-22-07 11:05 PM
    You accepted her PIN correct?

What happens if you try to add a contact?
    07-22-07 11:44 PM
    I think that is one of the error messages that comes about when you setup your Desktop Manager to use redirector instead of BIS.
    07-23-07 12:16 AM
    Ya, sounds like the flycatcher emails u get , when you have your email on blackberry the RIM relay will send out those messages to your email in box for a split second, normally you will never see them as they go in and delete themselves even before the inbox realizes it, a batt pull usally stops them, but often times they just stop them selves...but then again they usally show up as [email protected] an ep.dat file attached.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 07-23-07 at 01:49 AM.
    07-23-07 01:45 AM
    You accepted her PIN correct?

What happens if you try to add a contact?
    How do you accept a PIN? I tried replying to the PIN, but it didn't go thru, so I'm guessing I didn't accept it? (I've deleted her PIN to me, so I guess I'll have to have her send me another one today?).

I've tried adding her as a contact, and she's still in my "pending" list.
    07-23-07 06:10 AM
    Did you try to hit the menu button and select "accept"?

Anything new with this today?
    07-23-07 09:09 PM
    Did you try to hit the menu button and select "accept"?

Anything new with this today?
    Mara - honestly, I don't remember what I did or didn't do... it was over 10 days ago.... and when I got to work, I found out that this gal is on vacation for a week.....
    07-23-07 09:21 PM
    Oh no, I apologize. I didn't mean what you did back then.

Is she still in pending?
    07-23-07 09:23 PM
    Download JiveTalk. You can also use BlackBerry Messenger to send IMs to other BB users via PIN messaging. Neither of these options cost you text messages, as they both go over the data network. AT&T BlackBerry service is not exactly Yahoo-friendly, but JiveTalk lets me use my Yahoo and MSN accounts no problem.

There are also several other options for IM on the BlackBerry. Try searching the forums or Google. IMHO, JiveTalk is all you need.

I'm a big JiveTalk fan myself...check out my video review of JiveTalk: YouTube - Video Review of JiveTalk for BlackBerry
    07-23-07 09:26 PM
    Jivetalk is great!!!
    07-23-07 09:29 PM
    Mara - yes she is still in my pending contacts

07-24-07 02:25 PM
    Jivetalk is very nice. I don't instant message enough to buy it, but if I were going to have an IM program that would be it.
    07-24-07 02:26 PM
    While on her name, press the menu and select accept. Did that work?

Mara - yes she is still in my pending contacts

07-24-07 05:37 PM
    While on her name, press the menu and select accept. Did that work?
    Yeah, that worked. I was on a long car ride with one of my friends (D) today, and I had her send me a PIN. I accepted her message, and now she's in my contacts. However, while she was trying to do that, I tried sending a PIN request to her... she said she got an EMail from me instead? I entered her PIN in her contact record in my address book, saved the entry, then did a right click and chose "PIN d". Her contact name "DB" showed up in my pending contacts on BB Messenger and she says she got an EMail from me. Then I got her PIN and accepted her. Now, her first name only "d" shows in my contacts, and her full name "db" shows in my pending contacts..... I'm afraid if I delete her from my pendings, that I'll delete her whole contact info from my address book?!?!
    07-24-07 06:02 PM
    If you delete her from your pending in BB IM, it shouldn't delete her in your contacts. I haven't ever run into that happening.
    07-24-07 08:07 PM
    Mara - I deleted her from my pending contacts, and had no adverse affects - thanks for the info!!!!!

I think I need to find a tutorial for using BB Messenger..... I have LOTS more questions......
    07-25-07 05:43 AM
    Hope this helps

Livelink - Redirection

Mara - I deleted her from my pending contacts, and had no adverse affects - thanks for the info!!!!!

I think I need to find a tutorial for using BB Messenger..... I have LOTS more questions......
    07-25-07 01:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD