I just found out that I can forward my emails from my yahoo account to my phone, and I could have them charged to my text messages. I would like to be able to save to money on my monthly account. I have looked for hours on this site and found zero discussions on this subject(I must admit that I was distracted by the Bold and Touch topics). Anyway, how do I charge my texts instead of a data plan?
    12-12-08 10:35 PM
    welcome, and not sure i follow the question "how do I charge my texts instead of a data plan". You have a text messaging package now? Do you have a paid Yahoo account that allows forwarding? If so you should be able to forward emails to the SMS email address.
    12-12-08 10:53 PM
    Welcome to CB!

Enjoy the addiction
    12-13-08 04:08 AM
    welcome, and not sure i follow the question "how do I charge my texts instead of a data plan". You have a text messaging package now? Do you have a paid Yahoo account that allows forwarding? If so you should be able to forward emails to the SMS email address.
    Thank you for responding so fast. I have a yahoo, email account. i am looking to save money, of course. If I sign up for text messaging versus a data plan through my cell phone provider, I can save money monthly. I would like to forward my yahoo emails to by BB using the cheaper text message option.
    12-13-08 05:31 PM
    Welcome to CB!

Enjoy the addiction
    Thanks. I have been here for a few days=addicted.
    12-13-08 05:33 PM
    Welcome to CB. I have the other guy's (Verizon and gmail) so my mileage varies.
    12-13-08 08:26 PM
    Welcome to the CB family!
    12-13-08 08:32 PM
    Welcome aboard!
    12-14-08 03:53 PM
    thanks for the welcome. Does anyone have the answer?
    12-18-08 01:32 PM
    This would be possible except that with Yahoo you need to have their Premium e-mail service (Mail Plus) in order to use e-mail forwarding. It costs $19.99 per year. Here are some options:

1) Pay for Yahoo Mail Plus. You'll spend less on this per year than you would a data package through your provider.

2) Switch your e-mail service to a different company. GMAIL, for example, doesn't charge to use e-mail forwarding. You'd have to set up an e-mail account with them.

I would suggest setting up a gmail account and sending some test e-mails to make sure this works before you upgrade to Yahoo's Mail Plus Account.

Then here's what you do...

Set-up your e-mail to auto forward to another e-mail address. This address will depend on your carrier. You profile says AT&T/Cingular so it depends on which is your actual carrier.

AT&T
    10DigitPhoneNumber@txt.att.net
    Example: 9055556543@txt.att.net

Cingular
    10DigitPhoneNumber@cingularme.com
    Example: 9055556543@cingularme.com

From here, the messages should go into your messages inbox. I just wonder if since SMS texts have a limit of 160 characters if your e-mails will be broken up into multiple messages or if you will only see the first 160 characters.

Good luck!
    12-18-08 11:35 PM
    This would be possible except that with Yahoo you need to have their Premium e-mail service (Mail Plus) in order to use e-mail forwarding. It costs $19.99 per year. Here are some options:

1) Pay for Yahoo Mail Plus. You'll spend less on this per year than you would a data package through your provider.

2) Switch your e-mail service to a different company. GMAIL, for example, doesn't charge to use e-mail forwarding. You'd have to set up an e-mail account with them.

I would suggest setting up a gmail account and sending some test e-mails to make sure this works before you upgrade to Yahoo's Mail Plus Account.

Then here's what you do...

Set-up your e-mail to auto forward to another e-mail address. This address will depend on your carrier. You profile says AT&T/Cingular so it depends on which is your actual carrier.

AT&T
    10DigitPhoneNumber@txt.att.net
    Example: 9055556543@txt.att.net

Cingular
    10DigitPhoneNumber@cingularme.com
    Example: 9055556543@cingularme.com

From here, the messages should go into your messages inbox. I just wonder if since SMS texts have a limit of 160 characters if your e-mails will be broken up into multiple messages or if you will only see the first 160 characters.

Good luck!
    Thank you very much. I will see if I can make this work. Awesome!
    12-20-08 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD