Hey everyone, I've just joined the forum and was hoping for some advice.

So I've been using BB for about 4 years from my 9700 to my current phone 9900 both on Vodafone UK and have a lot of time and loyalty to BB. As much as I love my 9900, battery pulls due to the phone becoming really sluggish are more often as time goes on. Being able to only install a few apps before it tells me to delete loads has started to become annoying. I can upgrade my phone in February but not sure what to do. I have a few issues/queries on what to upgrade to.

A bit about my phone and app usage (apart from making/receiving calls and txt). Its my primary interwebs browsing tool. I listen to tons of podcasts on it and take the odd pic here and there. Oh and use the touch app a bit and online banking too.

1)I like the look of bb10 but I'm not sure about not having a back or home button or the short cut key on the side which I currently have set to Podtrapper and use it all the time.

2) This is another thing, I love that podcast app and it appears its not available on 10 which is annoying. The Barclays app isn't available either and the android apk, after some googling, seemingly doesn't work. The current app on the 9900 works well and I use I regularly.

3) I love physical keyboards but maybe its time to give a software one a real go. I used some before on friends phones and didnt really get on with them but may just be a case of getting used to it.
    I did think about the Z10 but then figured if I was going to go for a full touch screen I maybe better of trying an android and get to use the barclays and all the other apps and features (I have a 10 android tablet but tend to doing every thing on my phone as the browser is faster and quicker to type on my phone). Having a small screen is a happy pay-off for having a physical qwerty before but Ive started thinking being able to watch films and stuff on my phone would be good.

4) is it worth waiting for the q30 or what ever they decide to call it but when I went from the 97-9900 I thought about waiting for the what is now bb10 but was just the QNX os at the time. Glad I didn't wait would have been waiting long time.

5) BB's future is pretty uncertain to be optimistic

6) I've been a Linux user on my PC for years so maybe android would be a better fit but it just doesn't seem as good an OS as bb10. Maybe just my perception as friends seem to love their android phones as much as I love my BB.

BB10 has been out long enough now for people to have a good feel for it good or bad, rather than the reviews I'v been finding that are full of early enthusiasm and not tried and tested use.

Sorry it's a bit of a long post

any advice/recommendations/opinions welcome

PS sorry about the crap spelling
    12-09-13 06:16 PM

So I've been using BB for about 4 years from my 9700 to my current phone 9900 both on Vodafone UK and have a lot of time and loyalty to BB. As much as I love my 9900, battery pulls due to the phone becoming really sluggish are more often as time goes on. Being able to only install a few apps before it tells me to delete loads has started to become annoying. I can upgrade my phone in February but not sure what to do. I have a few issues/queries on what to upgrade to.

A bit about my phone and app usage (apart from making/receiving calls and txt). Its my primary interwebs browsing tool. I listen to tons of podcasts on it and take the odd pic here and there. Oh and use the touch app a bit and online banking too.

1)I like the look of bb10 but I'm not sure about not having a back or home button or the short cut key on the side which I currently have set to Podtrapper and use it all the time.

2) This is another thing, I love that podcast app and it appears its not available on 10 which is annoying. The Barclay’s app isn't available either and the android apk, after some googling, seemingly doesn't work. The current app on the 9900 works well and I use I regularly.

3) I love physical keyboards but maybe its time to give a software one a real go. I used some before on friends phones and didn’t really get on with them but may just be a case of getting used to it.
    I did think about the Z10 but then figured if I was going to go for a full touch screen I maybe better of trying an android and get to use the barclays and all the other apps and features (I have a 10” android tablet but tend to doing every thing on my phone as the browser is faster and quicker to type on my phone). Having a small screen is a happy pay-off for having a physical qwerty before but I’ve started thinking being able to watch films and stuff on my phone would be good.

4) is it worth waiting for the q30 or what ever they decide to call it but when I went from the 97-9900 I thought about waiting for the what is now bb10 but was just the QNX os at the time. Glad I didn't wait would have been waiting long time.

6) I've been a Linux user on my PC for years so maybe android would be a better fit but it just doesn't seem as good an OS as bb10. Maybe just my perception as friends seem to love their android phones as much as I love my BB.

BB10 has been out long enough now for people to have a good feel for it good or bad, rather than the reviews I'v been finding that are full of early enthusiasm and not tried and tested use.

I think everyone loved their BlackBerry keyboard, nothing compares to the Bold 9000's keyboard but i love the virtual keyboard on BB10.. You're right there is a lack of productivity apps but if you can get your essential apps on your tablet maybe that is suffice?
    Obviously waiting for the next release phone is a desire everyone has but how long are you going to say that.. At the moment there isn't any go to rumors other than a few fan-made renderings of the Q30 however those renderings are extremely nice..

Yea there's no podcast app unfortunately, however BlackBerry is listening to it's customers and who know what the future may bring, also you could maybe try and find an android app for podcasts but i'm not sure how efficient it would be..

Yes, BlackBerry's future is uncertain but that's a choice you've got to make.. Like John Chen said, what is BlackBerry without the device?
    12-09-13 06:36 PM
    Glad to see you doing some research before delving into something.
    I for one was pro-qwerty until I used the Z10...the keyboard worked so well. Now I have my Z30...won't go back to a physical keyboard.
    Podcast apps I dnt use, but I have heard there is not on on BB10.
    My recommendation would be to go to the stores and test the devices out for a bit with the display models. Mess with your friends phones....decide what works best for you. Not what works for everyone else.

Sent from my mind controlled Z30 running Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.SayWhat Karma will get you.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    12-09-13 07:52 PM

2) This is another thing, I love that podcast app and it appears its not available on 10 which is annoying. The Barclays app isn't available either and the android apk, after some googling, seemingly doesn't work. The current app on the 9900 works well and I use I regularly.

3) I love physical keyboards but maybe its time to give a software one a real go. I used some before on friends phones and didnt really get on with them but may just be a case of getting used to it.
    I did think about the Z10 but then figured if I was going to go for a full touch screen I maybe better of trying an android and get to use the barclays and all the other apps and features (I have a 10 android tablet but tend to doing every thing on my phone as the browser is faster and quicker to type on my phone). Having a small screen is a happy pay-off for having a physical qwerty before but Ive started thinking being able to watch films and stuff on my phone would be good.

1) you have to try the gestures of bb10 to check out if they do enought for you.

2)can't help

3)BB on screen keyboard is the best in the buisness, but don't fool yourself, there is NO digital keybaord as good as a good physical keybaord... you have less typos on physical, and you can type without even looking at it, thing you can't do with digital. If you're drunk, or in a car that is shaking a lot, you would praise the physical keyboard even more... But you have a big drawback of stealing a great part of the screen. If your priority is texting, go physical keyboard, of not, then give digital a try, the bigger screen might compensate for the lack of proper keyboard.

4)The Z30 seems to be pretty far away... we didn't even hear any confirmation of it's existance... so if you're in need of a new phone, don't wait

5)Doens't matter much, even if Blackberry goes bust, Canadian FBI won't enter your room and steal your phone.... You bought the phone, it's yours, and Google apps will make sure you get what you need. And Blackberry is not going nowere soon, they have been made some investments a few weeks ago, so it will stand up for a lot of time to see where it goes.

6)Android is NOT Linux, in fact Linux is developing it's own mobile phone OS. Android is a very poorly optimized OS, people like it because is what they have, and because is cheaper than IOS and BB10. Android is laggy, and it's performance is very poor on Apps. Iphone 5S with half the cores, half the processor speed, half the ram, is so much faster than any android on the market. BB10 running a android emulator, is even faster than android OS in a lot of apps... Android says that is developing a big update that should optimize a lot the software, but we will see...

My advice, try all phones, and see what fits you the best
    12-09-13 08:07 PM
    There are quite a few podcast apps for BB10. Podcasts to Go looks pretty good. Most likely you would have to use a different app no matter which device you decide to go with. Physical keyboards are what you are used to, but don't be surprised if you find virtual keyboards just as good. BlackBerry's keyboards are the best.
    12-09-13 08:17 PM
    QNX on which BB10 is based is more closely related to Linux/Unix then Android is! Just saying!

Welcome to CrackBerry
    12-10-13 12:55 AM
    Thanks everyone for the advise pretty sure I'm going Q10 in feb.

Just one more thing. Is there a program like bb protect as i've heard its not on bb10. With out it how do you copy your contacts etc when going from an old BB phone to BB10?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-11-13 03:07 AM
    You heard wrong BB Protect is on BB10
    12-11-13 11:07 AM
    Welcome! The Q10 is a great device I'ms sure you will love it. I swore I would always need a physical kb, but now with the Z I don't think I could go back.
    12-11-13 12:23 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Hopefully you can play with both the Q10 and The Z10 or Z30.
    12-13-13 09:30 AM
    Welcome!

I swore up and down that I could never use a touch keyboard until I upgraded my wife from a Curve to a Z10.. after trying the keyboard on that i was more than happy to upgrade my self from her old curve to my very own Z30!

I will say that I am still trying to find the right podcast app for me (I was also sad to not see my trusty go-to podcast app..) I tried podcast to go and didn't really love or hate it. I'm trying nobex radio right now and it's working quite well for my needs (for the record, both apps have found the podcasts I consume with far greater ease than the legacy app ever did).

I find the gestures on BB10 quite usefull and when I get off my **** and organize the apps into folders and orders that make sense to me it will be even better. Watching movies of any kind on the Z30 is a good experience and the screen is big enough that when you do have the keyboard up in portrait there is plenty of screen left still to see what you are doing so that's a plus.

There is some heavy speculation (with, from what I can tell, reasonably solid footing in reality) that 10.2.1.xxxx will allow for the direct installation of APKs from 3rd party Android stores. I would never advise that you get a BB10 phone based on soemthing that is not yet concrete but if you try them all out in the store and decide that you can get by without the Android Apps then if/when APKs are able to be installed directly then you can have your cake and eat it too.

Ultimately, it has to do with what you are comfortable with. I wanted a bigger screen to consume media and game more than I wanted a physical keyboard so when the opportunity arose for me to get a Z30 on contract for $20 I jumped at it.. I'm only a couple of weeks in with it but it feels like I've been using it for ever.

Hopefully you find the device that will meet your needs. regardless of what you end up getting, I hope you enjoy your time here at CB!
    12-13-13 01:20 PM
    thats brilliant advice every one thanks again. I did get chance to play with the Z10 (wanted to try the Z30 but seemingly no store in town stock it) and the keyboard was actaully ok to type on and didnt mess up much. Back to pondering z10 or q10 now though, at least all your advice has made me felling better about sticking with bb and will be helpfull when i finally decide.
    12-14-13 03:52 AM
    thats brilliant advice every one thanks again. I did get chance to play with the Z10 (wanted to try the Z30 but seemingly no store in town stock it) and the keyboard was actaully ok to type on and didnt mess up much. Back to pondering z10 or q10 now though, at least all your advice has made me felling better about sticking with bb and will be helpfull when i finally decide.
    I'm not much of a typist, never have been. Had a year of typing in High School 45 years ago, but never could get the hang of typing without looking at the keyboard, so every bit of help I get from the Z10 predictions is wonderful for me. The keyboard learns as you type and the more you type the more it learns what you want to say next and allows you to flick the words right up to the screen. Greatest thing I've seen. Just works for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 03:39 PM
    I had a 9900 and now have a Q10. I love it!
    01-02-14 04:15 PM
    BB Protect does not save your contacts tho. Unfortunately. It does play a sound and locate your phone however. But it doesn't work like it did on the old OS7.
    01-04-14 05:22 PM
    I would suggest getting Q10 & downloading bPod.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    01-12-14 10:28 PM
    Welcome to CB, Cap'n!!!! And I'm sure that you will love the Q. I've barely put it down since I got it almost two weeks ago now.
    01-13-14 03:19 AM
    welcome captain Cornwall, I came from a 9810 to a Z30 my new keyboard is second to none I use for both business and personal with absolutely no worries. not a big app user but (others here can advise) I think with the latest OS update (still in leak but coming) you will be able to use loads of Andriod apps. I am aware that the 9900 keyboard is better,in my view, than the 9810 but I do not regret the transition to the Z30 in any way.
    Good hunting and I hope your feet are dry in cornwall.
    01-13-14 03:40 AM
    Just to pick up point 2) I use PodTrapper on my Z10 no problem - it needs sideloading at the moment - if you do some reading around here, it's a very simple process, and as a Linux user I'm sure it's not scary or beyond you in any way.

I found the file to load on the goodereader site, and your existing podtrapper registration key will work, so there is no need to repurchase.
    01-13-14 04:38 AM