Hi. I am considering acquiring a BlackBerry of some sort soon. Browsing the forums, I see many references to "service books", and how things don't work without them. I'm thinking of getting a wifi-capable BB without a data plan, but I saw a forum post saying that without a data service most things (such as the Google apps) don't work because of the absence of these mysterious "service books". What are these "service books", and why do I need them?

Thanks.
    09-16-08 09:14 PM
    I'm not exactly sure how you would define them, but they are information your mobile service provider sends out to your phone to make sure your phone knows how to accept e-mails, data, etc. If you aren't planning on using network data at all, you shouldn't need them.
    09-16-08 09:19 PM
    I'm not exactly sure how you would define them, but they are information your mobile service provider sends out to your phone to make sure your phone knows how to accept e-mails, data, etc. If you aren't planning on using network data at all, you shouldn't need them.
    Hi, how do I get those service books? I bought my 8800 from a vendor outside the country. And now, I have activated my BB but I still cannot access emails. The local service provider (Globe Telecoms) said they cannot make it work since the mobile unit itself is not the one provided by them. I wonder if this is true. Are there other ways to make my BB work even if I purchased it from an external vendor (not from the service provider)?

I hope anyone can help me on this.
    09-17-08 09:06 AM
    Hi, how do I get those service books? I bought my 8800 from a vendor outside the country. And now, I have activated my BB but I still cannot access emails. The local service provider (Globe Telecoms) said they cannot make it work since the mobile unit itself is not the one provided by them. I wonder if this is true. Are there other ways to make my BB work even if I purchased it from an external vendor (not from the service provider)?

I hope anyone can help me on this.
    Globe Telecom's website does not include BlackBerry devices in their products list, but a little more digging turned this up:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Press Releases

Press Release
    April 24, 2006

Globe Telecom and RIM Launch the BlackBerry 8700g in the Philippines

Manila, Philippines and Waterloo, ON - Globe Telecom and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) announce the new BlackBerry� 8700g�. Operating on Globe�s high-speed EDGE network, the BlackBerry 8700g provides the ultimate blend of performance, design and function, featuring a completely re-engineered device platform with expanded memory and a powerful Intel� XScale� processor.

�We are very excited to be working with RIM to launch the new BlackBerry 8700g in the Philippines,� said Daniel David, Globe Telecom Head of Corporate Business Group. �Leveraging the proven BlackBerry technology, innovative design and advanced features, the BlackBerry 8700g enables connectivity and productivity for mobile professionals who want an excellent web browsing and mobile application experience.�

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...D03B85BDE76E2C

This links to BlackBerry device software supported by GT.

It includes several models of Curve, Pearl, 8800 World Edition and several corporate only models.

09-17-08 12:47 PM
    Globe Telecom's website does not include BlackBerry devices in their products list, but a little more digging turned this up:

This links to BlackBerry device software supported by GT.

It includes several models of Curve, Pearl, 8800 World Edition and several corporate only models.

I'm wondering though if there's anything missing or anything not uploaded or configured on my BB for it not to work.

Still hoping there's still a way. Am really looking forward maximing the capabilities of my 8800.
    09-18-08 09:47 AM
    The reason I am asking about service books -- even though I don't plan to get a data plan -- is because I've seen posts like
    this one concerning wifi-only access to AIM, Facebook etc:

http ://www.blackberryforums.com / wifi-hotzone / 104269-8320-aim-facebook-etc-wifi . html

(Above URL won't work as-is. System won't let me post URLs yet, so I've added spaces to try and fool it.)

Apparently, some apps don't work in a pure wifi environment, but do work if you temporarily enable the data plan to send service books and then disable the data plan. I've seen similar comments concerning Google Maps and Gmail. But people's results have been mixed.
    09-21-08 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD