I'm on the phone with cingular sales, me, immune to sales pitches from some of the best sales people I have ever met in my life, and she's got me by the nads I don't even have!! I reflect on this with some embarrassment, but this is group, I'll share my vulnerable side.
    I am in the final stages of ordering a phone, and I clicked the pda and smart phone link while I was hanging on the line having my account plundered and I saw it...
    Now, I must assert at this juncture that I don't even really know why I want one, but I know I do, so I look for the best deal. A Blackberry for me!! I'm looking at the features, I start to swoon, what will I do with such a thing?
    OH, what will I NOT DO with this thing!! I see all the bells and whistles, and even though I am normally pretty low key these days, flashy, tech-geek girl comes marching into the spot light asking to be acknowledged. Flashy, tech-geek girl is also a Nazi, and she canceled the order at the last minute and went for the upgrade. She snatched up the white hot spotlight and turned it on the unsuspecting saleswoman. The interrogation ensued.
    (this part takes places with a German accent..)
    "Vill dis dewice connect to zee internet vith a laptop?!"
    A rapid and certain "YES!" was heard by flashy nazi. This pleased her extensively. She had a few more questions, we can't remember what they were now, it's immaterial, the point here is that even though she was sure to get the mediamax unlimited plan, flashy nazi ultimately got duped. Alas, there is no connectivity. The collective of girls that we are here at me were suddenly nobody but a stupid girl. Just one, but a BIG one, nonetheless.
    I spent the Saturday that was meant to have the extra-charge-for-overnight shipping blackberry for some long coveted bandwidth access in such an unspeakable way. I used dial-up!
    I had a 512 K habit, and I found myself desperate enough to settle for that low grade trash. And I was really mad about the browser issue. I have to admit, my poor baby blackberry spent it's first day with momma not even being loved. (What do you expect from crackwhore?)
    I feel inclined to be loyal to the particular model I ordered. I guess I'm seeking validation. But, from the looks of what I have seen online since my cable modem and business grade internet showed up, (thank Mercury, God of communications, for that much, amen!), is that this 7290 seems to be as obtuse and strange as it's momma...
    I need the straight dope on this, have I got a bunk model?
    I hate to say it, but I've thought of giving it up for adoption and getting an 8800, but I try to see even the worst of my choices through my doubt. I feel like I should troubleshoot the connectivity issue. Apparently, there is some way to load my browser, some plan that will get me hooked up, or some hack that will get me unlocked. I'm flailing on this one.
    Thank you for letting me vent.
    Please help me, I need advice, I don't have the sense to think twice.
    crackwhore
    03-01-07 12:14 PM
    Wow... that sure was a venting. Now I don't have Cingular so I'll give you the best advice I can.

You need to make sure you have a Blackberry data plan on your account. The standard for Cingular with qualifying voice plan is $29.99 a month for unlimited data. Now they may have it bundled in some other way, but I'm just not that familiar with what Cingular has to offer.

Secondly, if I read your post right, you got the 7290 with the intent of tethering it to your laptop? If so, you may want to send it back and get the 8100, 8700, or 8800. The 7290 only uses GPRS with you will find to be much slower than the EDGE you could get on the other devices (of course you have to be in an EDGE service area to get that in the first place). Another thought just occurred as well... Cingular does not let you tether for free. Their tethering plan is $79.99 a month for unlimited data. OUCH!!!

See if any of that helps you, if not let me know what else you need.
    03-01-07 05:47 PM
    Does tmobile support tether on the 8100? If so, can anyone point me to the info for configuring / using it? Thanks.
    03-21-07 07:21 PM
    BlackBerry Search Results

Environment
    BlackBerry 7130 Series
    BlackBerry 7200 Series of devices
    BlackBerry Pearl™ 8100 smartphone
    BlackBerry 8700 Series of devices
    BlackBerry 8707g device
    BlackBerry 8707v device
    BlackBerry 8800 smartphone
    BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 and later
    Microsoft Windows 2000
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Microsoft Windows Vista
    Computer or laptop computer with an Intel 486 or higher processor

Note: Research In Motion (RIM) provides some support for the tethered modem; the installation of the Standard Modem Driver is supported. See KB05178 for more details about support for the tethered modem.
    Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure
    A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a computer or laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Tasks

To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later (one time only).
    Set up the Internet Access Point Name (APN) (one time only).
    Configure dial-up networking (one time only).
    Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Task 2

Set up Internet APN.

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" (for T-Mobile only)

Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.

Click OK.
    In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

Task 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.

Windows XP Operating System

Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    Click Next.
    Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
    Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    Type the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    Click Finish.
    In the Connect window, click Properties.
    In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    Windows 2000 Operating System

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    Click Next.
    Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    In the Connect window, click Properties.
    In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    In the Properties window, click OK.

Task 4

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.

Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Note: If Microsoft Outlook is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this message appears, click Cancel to proceed.

Task 5

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    Type the user name and password provided by your service provider. (Leave blank for T-Mobile)
    Click Dial.
    03-21-07 10:27 PM
    Just wanted to say howdy and let you know that I got a chucke out of that 'god of communications' line.

Did you get your problem reconciled?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 12:00 AM
    Sorry about your experience, but welcome to CB!
    11-23-08 09:51 AM
    12-08-08 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD