I have never owned a smartphone but plan on getting one in a few weeks when my ne2 is up. I had decided on a blackberry because it does everything i need it to and seems to have the best reputation. I thought I would get a storm and went to the store tonight to try one in person and I felt very out of my depth with it. Not just the touch screen, but the whole experience. I'm in the tech field and it felt strange to have a device that I felt so clumsy with. It's a new feeling for me. I also tried the 8330 thinking i might do better with a physical keyboard and it was actually worse. I expect there to be a learning curve, but I was shocked that it wasn't more intuitive from the beginning. I have played with a friends iphone and don't remember having this much trouble. I just wondered how others who go to one from a regular phone have fared and if they adjusted quickly? I'm definitely sticking with verizon because of coverage, but i'm really not sure which phone to get now. Any advice will be appreciated. how long should it take for me to learn my way around on a blackberry?
    12-04-08 08:36 PM
    Just go to the store and play with it for an hour not just a few minutes. I did that before. If you get "the hang of it" after that short play time you will be fine.
    12-04-08 08:48 PM
    Just go to the store and play with it for an hour not just a few minutes. I did that before. If you get "the hang of it" after that short play time you will be fine.
    I actually did play with it for about 30 minutes, but the one on display was pretty wonky. it kept going to a white loading screen and never loaded. they brought out another one and it was one that had the loose screen and clicking problems, probably why they had it in the back room.

I know I'll probably love it after I learn my way around, but I just wasn't expecting it to be so awkward in the beginning. I'm usually the one who picks up a new device and figures it out right away. I hate reading manuals. :-)
    12-04-08 08:57 PM
    The Storm is a v1 product, so I'd suggest that if you're new to smart phones, I probably wouldn't recommend that one.

The 8330 is a solid, strong contender. I have the phone and love it. If you read the forums, most folks with the Curve, adore the phone.

There is definitely a learning curve to the phone, but the Curve phone is a powerhouse once you learn it.

Good luck in your decision!
    12-04-08 09:01 PM
    Honestly, if you're tech savvy in the slightest, you'll have no problems whatsoever learning the ins and outs of a Curve. Admittedly I did have two Treos prior to my BB, but I think I was able to become productive with my Curve much more quickly than with either Treo.

And if you ever have any questions, you always have this wonderful community!

What about the Curve wasn't intuitive for you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 09:04 PM
    Honestly, if you're tech savvy in the slightest, you'll have no problems whatsoever learning the ins and outs of a Curve. Admittedly I did have two Treos prior to my BB, but I think I was able to become productive with my Curve much more quickly than with either Treo.

And if you ever have any questions, you always have this wonderful community!

What about the Curve wasn't intuitive for you?

the keyboard was like looking at chinese text to me. I've never typed on a keyboard like that and have never even sent a text message from my phone. I work from home and never had the need to in the past, but I'm going to be doing some traveling in the next year so I need a way to keep up with email and work related stuff. I didn't really spend much time at all with the curve so it was hardly a fair test.
    12-04-08 09:10 PM
    the keyboard was like looking at chinese text to me. I've never typed on a keyboard like that and have never even sent a text message from my phone. I work from home and never had the need to in the past, but I'm going to be doing some traveling in the next year so I need a way to keep up with email and work related stuff. I didn't really spend much time at all with the curve so it was hardly a fair test.
    Yeah, definitely go back and give the Curve a real test drive. I think in half an hour you'll be real comfortable navigating around the device. It's just that the things you want to be able to do (keep up with email and work related stuff) is such a perfect fit for the Curve, I'd hate to see you give up and settle for something inferior. And, like I said earlier, you always have us to turn to if you ever get stuck!

Good luck on your search!

12-04-08 11:26 PM
    I got the curve 8330 just a couple of months ago. Ive always picked up a phone and been able to access every feature within a couple of days. I still dont know half of what this phone does. I would highly recommend the blackberry though!
    12-04-08 11:33 PM
    get a feel for the phone and make a decisions... but choose wisely
    12-05-08 12:24 AM
    I agree with unit111, got my curve about 6 months ago and love it!!
    12-05-08 08:08 PM
    I never had a Blackberry before, but heard good things about them. I ended up buying the Storm (I used to have LG and Motorola flip phones). Overall, I like the idea of the Storm, the large buttons, and the camera, but it is really starting to become apparent that it's the 1st version. I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Curve and am thinking of taking my Storm back. I know that they're coming up w/ updates, but I'm not that technical and want a phone that works - all the time - when I pick it up. Overall, if you have patience and more $, then play w/ the Storm in the store too. Otherwise, you may just want to take the 1st step w/ a traditional BB.
    12-06-08 12:46 AM
    12-07-08 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD