o.k. just a few questions. i am looking at purchasing a blackberry in the next few weeks. cant afford new so i am going the used route. i am a huge iphone fan (have the original). and there there is one os to rule them all. i am currently divorced from my blackjack which runs windows mobile (2 crappy options are better than one) and since those are the only 2 i have experience with i have questions along the lines of those philosophies. is the os on the blackberry the same on each phone. meaning if 4.5 on a pearl the same as 4.5 on a curve? can i run the same apps or are there device specific apps.

i am starting a mobile app podcast and i am only missing one major platform to do reviews on. blackberry (no palm doesnt count) i have a reviewer that has a curve but when she's not reviewing or i want to review an app myself. but if i get a pearl i want to know i can review with it vs the curve which runs different set of software. only one i can see that would be phone specific would be the storm which is all touchy feely
    10-27-08 03:00 PM
    is the os on the blackberry the same on each phone. meaning if 4.5 on a pearl the same as 4.5 on a curve?
    Appearance and behavior wise yes. There are code architecture differences between them which is why you see OS versions specific to each device model (ie os for an 8330 and one for an 8120).
    can i run the same apps or are there device specific apps.
    Most apps will work just fine. Be sure to download and install the correct version for the Os version and device model you have if you are asked to choose. This is common with third party themes.

i am starting a mobile app podcast and i am only missing one major platform to do reviews on. blackberry (no palm doesnt count) i have a reviewer that has a curve but when she's not reviewing or i want to review an app myself. but if i get a pearl i want to know i can review with it vs the curve which runs different set of software. only one i can see that would be phone specific would be the storm which is all touchy feely
    I personally think the Curve is a better device than the Pearl. And you will most likely want to upgrade whatever you get to the new OS, 4.5. The curve seems to take better to it than other devices.
    10-27-08 03:10 PM
    As far as I know the operating systems are of the same breed: Blackberry OS. Obviously you have hardware differences to take into account, but aside from that the OS of a Curve and a Pearl should be similar. Hardware differences are things like the keyboards (SureType is on the Pearl, not the Curve), GPS abilities, XM Radio abilities, Wi-Fi abilities, etc.

The main thing you should really be concerned about is unlocking your phone. If you do get a used one, chances are it might be locked to a specific carrier to which you do not use. Simply unlock it ( http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-26109/ - Thanks to Bla1ze ) then you are free to use the SIM card and carrier of your choice.

Next I would then consider upgrading to the latest and greatest in the realm of OS's:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-8320-a-75755/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/new...-0-81-a-75354/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/new...-0-81-a-74720/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/new...anguage-85685/

I hope this helps your decision to the addiction

Oh, and welcome to Crackberry!
    Last edited by dakatone; 10-27-08 at 03:24 PM.
    10-27-08 03:21 PM
    Oh yeah i been looking at unlocking thats how i have my iphone even though its still on att.

also, i thought the os were carrier specific, i know att still doesnt have a frigging upgrade to 4.5 for the curve on the market (which is one of the things i was waiting for)

so i was looking at getting a tmobile curve until i realized none have gps. BAH.

so now my best bet was to get a unlocked tmobile pearl and get a gps reciever for it since i know they have 4.5 released.

or should i just get the att and wait it out

The main thing you should really be concerned about is unlocking your phone. If you do get a used one, chances are it might be locked to a specific carrier to which you do not use. Simply unlock it ( - Thanks to Bla1ze ) then you are free to use the SIM card and carrier of your choice.

Next I would then consider upgrading to the latest and greatest in the realm of OS's:

I hope this helps your decision to the addiction

Oh, and welcome to Crackberry!
    *had to delete urls so the thing would post*
    10-27-08 03:45 PM
    I say choose the TMO curve but I am biased. Go with what you feel is best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 03:55 PM
    Do all tmobile curves do the whole hotspot at home thing or do you have to get a specific version to do that?

I say choose the TMO curve but I am biased. Go with what you feel is best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 04:00 PM
    t mo curves have th wifi built in. i would choose the TMo curve
    12-09-08 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD