Hi...
    not even a newbie question...

I'm considering becoming a BlackBerry user.

I want to know, however, if I can turn off the push email feature.
    I don't want to receive all email when it comes in. I want to have control over that.
    That's the main fear that's put me off getting an email. That, and they're utterly uncool.

Wouldn't want to use any blackberry.net email address, just my usual. Probably my address hosted by Google Apps.
    09-17-08 12:24 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

That is an interesting question, pushed email is the key feature that sets BlackBerry apart from the other smart phones.

I can appreciate, if you receive a lot of junk mail, not having it pushed.

You don't have to use it, but you might consider forwarding email from your contact list, if your service supports that option.
    09-17-08 12:36 PM

You don't have to use it, but you might consider forwarding email from your contact list, if your service supports that option.

Don't understand what that means.

So I can elect to *check* my mail, rather than have it pushed?
    09-18-08 03:01 AM

Reconcile email messages over the wireless network
    Set the Wireless Reconcile option for each email address that is associated with your BlackBerry device.
    1. In a message list, press the Menu key.
    2. Click Options.
    3. Click Email Reconciliation.
    4. Set the Wireless Reconcile field to On.
    5. Press the Menu key.
    6. Click Save.
    To stop reconciling email messages over the wireless network, set the Wireless Reconcile field to Off.
    I have not used this feature, but it appears to be the answer to your question. Setting Reconcile off and using the manual reconcile should be possible.
    09-18-08 12:22 PM
    Interesting scenario... agree with Reed, it is the biggest draw, so getting rid of push is something I would not have considered....

Another option: OP could NOT set up any emails on BB, download the gmail app, and check it when needed.
    09-18-08 12:29 PM

most email addresses also have a mobile site that you can log into and "pull" your email out as you would on a computer.

you are required to set up any push email on your device.

you would just use the blackberry's web browswer to log in and check your email!
    09-18-08 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD