I am new to the BB operation and have been doing a ton of searching and reading about the OS and little bonuses of owing a BB. I am thinking about switching to the BB for ease of use for the wife along with the stability that they offer (although I must say that the current WM smartphone I am using has been super stable and configurable). The big question that I have and have been unable to find an answer for: is there a way to customize the profile switching on the device? On the current WM OS there is the built in auto option that when a calendar entry occurs that is marked as busy, the profile autoswitches to silent and then switches back when the calendar entry is over. Can this be set up or does it naturally happen on the BB OS?
    Also are there third party options to set up profile switching based on preset times or calendar options (there are currently many different profile switchers that switch based on time of day or preset calendar options on the WM platform, does anything exist like this for the BB platform)? I currently use phonealarm, as program that will switch the profile based on preset options, so that at night it auto switches to a night profile that I have set up that doesn't notify for mail but still retrieves, but notifies for all important calls to wake me in casse there is an emergency (these are important to me as this is my only phoone and I never shut it off but don't want to be disturbed of mail at night and would rather not have to remember to manually change the device profile at night and then back in the morning, yes I am lazy and anal).
    And lastly are the profiles in the BB OS the only ones available, or can one add/create other profiles for the device.

Thanks for all help in this matter as this may be a breaking point for me and the BB (that and I am not sure as I want to give up 3G for concurrent voice and data, so I have been looking into BB connect for the smartphone as an alternative to even see if it is necessary as I curently have push mail through an exchange server on the current device).
    06-16-07 09:00 AM
    Although I can't answer your questions about the profiles, your last paragraph intrigued me. My BB Pearl came with a 3G sim card. Am I missing something?
    06-16-07 09:38 AM
    I don't think that you are missing anything, in fact may go to BB form if it seems to be what I want and will be better for the wife. I just like the fact that if I want to tether or look up something on the internet with the phones browser while I am also talking on the phone it can happen with 3G whereas with Edge you are limited to one or the other. If the Curve had 3G this would have been a no brainer and it would be in my pocket as I type this, whether or not the questions I posed could be accomplished or not.
    06-16-07 09:50 AM
    "...On the current WM OS there is the built in auto option that when a calendar entry occurs that is marked as busy, the profile autoswitches to silent and then switches back when the calendar entry is over. Can this be set up or does it naturally happen on the BB OS?" - No, sorry to say that is NOT an option. But, I wonder if there is some 3rd party software that could do it...

Another thing, there is a shortcut key to allow switching to another profile...
    06-16-07 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD