On my Pearl 8130, I set it up to activate the key lock using the right side convenience key.

I discovered by reading instructions further (just got it today), that I can enter standby mode by pressing the mute key on top.

Both key lock and standby seem to perform the same function, of preventing the buttons from doing anything. Am I right or is there more to standby?

Thanks
    09-26-08 08:28 PM
    In Standby, nothing happens if you press buttons. You receive calls, text etc. in standby as in keypad lock. Beware of Keypad Lock, as if you press a button, a screen pops up asking if you want to unlock, make emergency call or cancel. I, unfortunately have placed emergency calls while locked.

Go with Standby

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-08 08:36 PM
    Lock prevents you from doing anything with the phone, and it requires a password to access it.

Standby puts your phone in power save mode, but you will be prevented from doing anything with the phone until you press the mute key again.

Go with Standby, it will make your battery life longer, and prevent any unwanted use of the phone .
    09-26-08 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD