hey
    ive been a blackberry user for quite some time, and an excited to be a member of this site. I do have one question though

my girlfriend is currently in europe and has a blackberry 3320 curve. since we keep bbming, she is getting dinged with the roaming charges. I told her to maybe look into getting her phone unlocked, but i was told that she would have her pin erased if she did.

my question is what can i do so i can talk to her via bbm and her not have to pay? if she bought a blackberry there with a plan would that be the best choice?? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    11-07-08 12:38 PM
    hey
    ive been a blackberry user for quite some time, and an excited to be a member of this site. I do have one question though

my girlfriend is currently in europe and has a blackberry 3320 curve. since we keep bbming, she is getting dinged with the roaming charges. I told her to maybe look into getting her phone unlocked, but i was told that she would have her pin erased if she did.

my question is what can i do so i can talk to her via bbm and her not have to pay? if she bought a blackberry there with a plan would that be the best choice?? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    The PIN is hardware specific - so if she got her curve unlocked (referrs to SIM subsidy lock) she would still have her PIN number as it is like a serial number on the phone. She should do some research over there about prepaid SIM cards - - that would probably be cheapest way to do it -- the only problem is that when I have been overseas and gotten prepaid SIM cards for voice calling I have never run accross one that allows you to do "Data" - - that's what she would have to look into with one of the big carriers in her area - can she do BlackBerry data on a prepaid SIM card - - I kinda think she won't be able to find that, but voice calls would be cheaper. Only other way would be to get a contract plan so she could get data, but that is another added expense.
    11-07-08 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD