Heyyy guise I'm Becky and I'm from London =D! I feel like I'm posting a dating ad =|
    Okay this may sound really geeky but I haven't actually got a blackberry ... yet.
    But I'm getting one from ebay and I'm soo excited and this forum looks fab. I've wanted one for ages and then I saw 2nd hand ones going for about �90 so I bidded on one and won it �80.50! I don't know if that's good? it seems like a lot to me but I'm 18 in less than a month so I thought I'd spend my life savings and "treat" myself haha
    Just thought I'd say hi!!!!!
    I hope the blackberry isn't....in bad condition or anything. I've even ordered one of them pink covers. I'm scared it's going to get lost and in the post or it's broken or something so wish me luck!

Luvage

x

p.s it's going to be a 8310
    Last edited by Beccaberry; 01-12-09 at 04:42 PM.
    01-12-09 04:39 PM
    Hey Becky!

Welcome.

I'm from Cheshire (gods county).

80 quid seems a little cheap for the device, it hasn't fallen off the back of the lorry has it?

You should take a look at the blackberry 101 article, some great stuff in there.

Let us know if the blackberry is a good one when you get it.

Lee.
    01-12-09 04:45 PM
    Welcome to CB Becky and congratulations on your first BB. I know you will fall in love with it like everyone else here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 06:27 PM
    01-12-09 06:33 PM
    Welcome!!

Im pretty new also and it has been a lot of fun so far!
    01-12-09 11:21 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

01-13-09 01:45 AM
    Aww thanks for the warm welcomes peeps!
    I'm pretty tech savvy but I'll check out those links once I get it. Thanks =)
    I'll see you all around

x
    01-13-09 01:49 AM
    Welcome aboard and you are going to love your new berry.

01-13-09 05:27 AM
    Best if luck with it and let us know how you get on with it
    01-14-09 03:39 AM
    Hi Becca! Welcome to CB, now that you have your berry you can throw your old phone in the loo
    01-14-09 04:48 AM
    OOOOOOOO
    I got it in the post just now! I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPPPY !!!!!!!!!
    It's wicked! I had to wipe/reset the phone though because there was so much stuff on the phone he'd left behind I felt bad reading this guy's texts haha.
    I have to say I am impressed the phone is in good condition now I just need to explore it, unlock on vodafone, recieve my new housing, get a hot looking theme and then find a suitable payt service to provide decent priced internet. Not a lot. :roll:

This lil gadget is smokin'
    01-14-09 06:12 AM
    Congrats and enjoy your BB. Welcome to CB!
    01-14-09 06:39 AM
    Enjoy your new-found addiction!
    01-14-09 08:13 AM
    I'm from notts! �80 is really cheap I had to pay that for my 8320 but I'm on contract so that's another �25 a month, but its worth it.(What do I know though! I've only had mine for like a week but trust me) Good luck with the data plan search on payg!

Enjoy your BB and welcome to CB!

01-14-09 10:55 AM
    Welcome to CB.
    01-14-09 10:56 AM
    I'm from notts! �80 is really cheap I had to pay that for my 8320 but I'm on contract so that's another �25 a month, but its worth it.(What do I know though! I've only had mine for like a week but trust me) Good luck with the data plan search on payg!

Enjoy your BB and welcome to CB!

Haha hello! I know I'm soo happy!
    i should have done that but most of the plans are up to 18 months etc and i defo can't afford �25 or so a month!!

I'm on mac which is making everything so annoying for my bb =|
    omg.
    MY BB.. ha
    that sounds good
    01-14-09 02:31 PM
    I have to say I am impressed the phone is in good condition now I just need to explore it, unlock on vodafone, recieve my new housing, get a hot looking theme and then find a suitable payt service to provide decent priced internet.
    Just to point out if you've not already found it, you probably only need to add "Blackberry BIS" service to your existing phone account by calling your provider (Voda?). Once it is activated you need to go to the provider's BIS site and setup as it describes in the FAQ and lecture docs suggested by others.

One warning - you might need to have the previous owner remove the phone from his BIS setup (it gets forgotten, and if he left the phone uncleared...) before you can do your own registration. **Don't lose his email and phone number**
    01-14-09 02:37 PM
    Just to point out if you've not already found it, you probably only need to add "Blackberry BIS" service to your existing phone account by calling your provider (Voda?). Once it is activated you need to go to the provider's BIS site and setup as it describes in the FAQ and lecture docs suggested by others.

One warning - you might need to have the previous owner remove the phone from his BIS setup (it gets forgotten, and if he left the phone uncleared...) before you can do your own registration. **Don't lose his email and phone number**
    I think my brain just collapsed haha
    So you're saying I need to set up some internet thing?
    Would it be better if I do all that after unlocking the phone?

Thanks for this info btw!

x
    01-14-09 04:20 PM
    Which provider's lock is on the phone? (look for the logo on startup, or the branding on the front panel)

You are probably better researching the plans available before you pay for unlock. As BritChick says, PAYG and BlackBerry are not often found together so you might end up hopping to a different provider to get the deal you want, and it would be bad to pay for unlock and then go to the original provider. I think you will end up having to drop PAYG and go to a monthly contract of some kind. I know it hurts to commit the money as a fixed amount, but look at how much you pay now and see what you could get for the same spend.

Have a look here
    Blackberry Storm And Payg - Vodafone eForum

Vodafone website is pretty difficult, I can't find SIM-only rates for BlackBerry. (You want SIM Only, you're providing your own phone). However, as a guide most of the UK providers seem to be doing a reasonable BB data add-on for about �10/month. If the link above is correct Voda might do �5 so grab it.

I think you'll find it is worth checking websites for Voda, O2, T-Mobile, and Orange (although Orange service sucks and there are often hidden charges). Avoid Three, I think they don't have proper BB service yet.

Also post in the BB General discussion forum here, collect the suggestions from other UK users. Crackberry has several other student-age users around UK who are equally budget-aware and have already made the same mistakes you're about to find.
    Last edited by branta; 01-14-09 at 08:44 PM.
    01-14-09 07:41 PM
    Welcome to CB Becca. I hope you enjoy your BB.
    01-14-09 07:45 PM
    Thanks for all the advice!
    It's locked to vodafone. I'd like to get it unlocked regardless of if i choose to go with vodafone or not just so I know i can change the sim whenever i want because i have 2.
    I've already been looking up the service providers a bit last week. I've found that 02 and others do some sort of payt 30 day sim deal. There is a bolt-on thing with voda,02,tmobile etc with "unlimited" (cough) web surfing + others after you top up the required money and activate it.

All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
    - in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    - to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
    - in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.
    I'm going to look into the vodafone thing though because I don't think those plans will work with the bb =/

Thanks so much for the help!

p.s i'd like to use a max of �15 a month is that possible

BlackBerry from O2 - O2 Pay As You Use BlackBerry tariff for consumers ???
    Last edited by Beccaberry; 01-16-09 at 04:50 AM.
    01-16-09 04:37 AM
    welcome to crack becca
    01-16-09 06:14 AM
    Thanks.

Going for 02 Simplicity 20 sim only with free unlimited web bolt on then ringing up to change to blackberry bolt on. Hopefully it works! �20 a month.
    Successfully unlocked bb for �3.50 from ebay as well!

xoxo
    01-17-09 03:58 PM
    Hi Becky. You should be able to go directly to the BB bolt-on. Or is this a problem with what the website will offer you? Go with the standard BIS Blackberry plan which offers unlimited flat rate (200MBytes fair use). The PAYG Blackberry scheme is OK for those who only take the phone out occasionally when they travel, not daily users.

In your previous post...
    Unlimited - just don't go silly with it. In real use you should be able to do almost anything you want on your Blackberry, without worrying about it. Although 200MB doesn't sound like much it's a 'fair use' thing so you would probably get away with the occasional overshoot, and it's a lot more phone data than you think because BB data is compressed. I will be surprised if you use more than about 50MB in most months, and even that will take some effort.

The main thing to avoid is using your phone as a modem for your computer - Don't Do That on O2 because it will cost you more even if you don't reach 200MB.

Oh, and swapping SIM can be a bit confusing on the data side. The easy solution is to run the second SIM as phone-only, and let the data wait until you put the main SIM back. However I predict you won't be happy with this, and once the Blackberry bug bites and any spare credit is used I think you will keep the BB/data sim in there almost all the time.
    01-17-09 06:26 PM
    Welcome!!! Have fun with it and don't be afraid to ask questions! The folks on this forum are fabulous for having answers
    01-17-09 06:50 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD