Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and I was just wondering with the recession and gas prices skyrocketing if I'm the only one without a data plan. I would love to have data, but it's not a neccesity for me right now. Any one else in my boat?
    10-05-08 09:51 AM
    its not a need at the moment but i do think if you want to use your bb to its fullest a data plan is sure worth it
    welcome to cb
    10-05-08 09:55 AM
    I think it depends on your needs, as bx2md said!

I use my Curve for both Business and personal, so I use the data. I am also on VZW and if you get a BB you have to get the data.
    10-05-08 10:11 AM
    My old BB was on a phone-only plan. You do lose out on the novelties of a BlackBerry (like pushed email, GPS maps, etc.). Some carriers will charge you a pay-per-use data rate if you choose to go surfing on the internet (but be careful as some of their mobile browsing packages won't let you use a BB device and you end up paying more for data usage).

But as a pure phone, SMS texting and organizer, it's still a great device.
    10-05-08 10:39 AM
    A BB with no data is just being held back! Mine is for work so I have data, can't imagine not having it!
    10-05-08 10:44 AM
    Well, I have to fill up my tank every four days, so my blackberry with no data is working just fine for me. I'm not much of a internet person anyway, I think I may be the only person in the world without a myspace page.
    10-05-08 01:45 PM
    Hey I have no myspace either!! I do have internet on my bb though.....could not live without it.
    10-05-08 01:54 PM
    Gotta have a data plan. Without it a BlackBerry is just a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 03:56 PM
    No myspace page for me either but I can't imagine using my CB without internet on it.

That might have something to do with my job since I have times when I can jump on-line and check out news, forums, etc. I find it saves me some time when I get home since I feel like I'm caught up.

Cheers

Last edited by BerryThumbs; 10-05-08 at 04:15 PM.
    10-05-08 04:13 PM
    I have an 8110 with no data plan. I just like my 8110 for it's phone and PDA functionality syncing with Outlook at home and work.

I prefer to use a computer to read my email and surf the web.
    10-07-08 10:36 PM
    I think having a BlackBerry without a data plan is just fine. They make a great organizational tool (calendar, tasks, etc.) and they can be used as an MP3 player, as well as a ton of other stuff. Since I now know how to customize the BB (and what I don't know I can learn from CrackBerry) my son's next phone will be a BB without a data plan. Compared with other phones, BlackBerrys are a very good deal. And offer way better quality.

I, however, need my data. I do use my Curve for my business as well as personal.
    10-07-08 10:52 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I don't like it when people think that just because you choose not to get a data plan that you should just get a "regular phone". Not everyone wants to shell out an extra $30/month for internet, but likes the blackberry for it's other capabilities and features. But to each his own.
    10-07-08 11:12 PM
    i think I read a coment in reference to this saying, its like having a corvette with a 4 cylinder... no point.

First off, if its 10 grand cheaper (plus gas use) than there a very good point! lol

Second, I look at it more like... just cuz ur corvette can go 160 mph doesnt mean u have to drive it that way ;0)

sometimes just knowing u "can" is good enough...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 10-07-08 at 11:47 PM.
    10-07-08 11:43 PM
    Don't have a MySpace either, can't bring myself to post my personal life on the internet. Oh I don't have a Corvette either. To be honest if it wasn't for work and needing mobile email and my Boss paying the bill I'm not sure if I would splurge for the data plan either. So live within your budget if the time comes the extra 30 bucks is not an issue give it a try, you'll love it. Welcome !

10-08-08 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD