Hello, all -
    complete newbie here with this lovely new Curve 8330 - just a quick question: is there a way to include the * symbol when entering phone numbers?

Haven't found a way yet.
    Thanks in advance!
    -DC-
    10-01-08 03:39 PM
    Wait, why would you need to enter a star when dialing a phone number? You mean like perhaps your voicemail? IE *86? You can simply dial it plus the rest of the number and call out.
    10-01-08 03:42 PM
    I don�t understand the question. If you mean when calling: it can be done, just press the star button. If you mean when adding a # in an adress book: it can be done, just press the star button.
    10-01-08 03:47 PM
    Digital_Cataclysm i'm sorry but no one seems to understand what exactly your asking ...
    i was thinking you may want to add an extension to someones number ...you can by putting the phone number then holding the "8" button and then an "x" will come out then proceed to write the extension
    10-01-08 09:44 PM
    Haha- oh, boy- I can't brain today - I have the dumb.
    Of course I have to use the "alt" key to enter a * for a number (when adding numbers to contacts). I was just confused, because you can hit the *-key when direct-dialing a phone number, and it'll show up.
    Thanks for the responses though, gang - & trying to help.

Wow. (facepalm).
    As for why one might want to use a * in a phone number for a contact, some of my friends have phone options setup that if you do not dial a star-prefix before their number, it'll just show you as an "unknown caller" on the caller ID - thus increasing the chances they'll ignore you when calling to tell them you just got Motorhead tickets for the show tonight, or that Michael Phelps is down the road signing autographs & telling stories about how much he loves chinese food.
    10-02-08 07:15 AM
    My personal experience with *.....
    I had to call the Highway Patrol b/c an a-hole through a beer bottle at me while driving. FYI: To call the HP from your cell phone you have to dial *HP.
    Well...I couldn't dial * in the number and the a-hole got away. I did call 911 and the officer asked me why I didn't call Highway Patrol. I told him I couldn't add a * to the number (*HP).
    Last edited by tlmoore36; 10-02-08 at 09:39 AM.
    10-02-08 08:38 AM
    I think you can do it by typing the following:

* > Shift key > H > Shift Key > P

The number will end up as *HP

Hit Send to initiate the call

I'm not totally sure, but you can give it a shot.
    10-02-08 08:44 AM
    If dialing direct, cdf3's suggestion works.
    I was able to dial *HP just fine using that method. (thanks cdf3!)

Then I had to come up with a excuse for WHY I dialed. I might be leaving work early today.
    10-02-08 09:05 AM
    Thanks, it works.. I'm going to save it has a contact.
    10-02-08 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD