I have had my BB for about one month and have loaded to apps using the OTA method. So I know that loading apps can be done on my device (8330 Curve on Verizon). However, I purchased a couple of games from Handango last weekend and they didn't give me the OTA load option. So I downloaded them to my PC and the included instructions told me to use the Desktop Manager/Application Loader. I hadn't needed to load my DM software until now, so I downloaded and installed the latest version (v4.7).

The DM software appears to be operating.... somewhat. When I open it up the title bar says "Disconnected - BlackBerry Desktop Manager". At the bottom of the window it shows "Device Connected (PIN): none" and "Active Device (PIN): 31Cxxxxx" (I changed my pin# for this security purposes). When I choose to Add/Remove program I'm taken to that screen and the I select the "Start" button. I immediately get a pop up window titled "Device Connection" asking me to select a device from a drop down, but there are no devices to select.

I've been spending some time this afternoon trying to read up on the cause of this problem, but haven't had a lot of luck. So I thought I turn to the experts. I only get my work e-mail on this device using what I believe is BES. What I'm reading this may be a problem. However, I can install software (Opera Browser, Yahoo! Go, Nintaii, etc) using the OTA method.

Is the version of DM (v4.7) too new for my device's O/S (v4.3)? It there another way to load the .cod & .alx files to my BlackBerry other than DM? In other words, are there 3rd party appl loaders, a manual process, etc? I can drop these files on my device's SD card using my USB cable, but I can seem to access them or install them even though they are sitting on my device. Can I e-mail these files to my device and load them? Can I package them together on my hard drive and make them into a OTA load package?

Thank you in advance for everyone's help.
    11-28-08 07:50 PM
    Well so much for my initial experience with the CrackBerry forums; 24 hours and not shred of advice or a hello.

During those 24 hours, I kept checking back and I continued to research on other options. My research has led me to an answer to my own question. I'll post it here for other "newbies".

I found a $10 solution in the application "Aerize Card Loader 2008". This application can be delivered from the vendor's site via OTA. Once I installed the Card Loader program, I can move the .cod files of applications that I can't use OTA to my BlackBerry's SD card using my USB cable. I can then start Aerize Card Loader on my BlackBerry and load programs (.cod files) into my BlackBerry's memory. It worked like a champ.
    11-29-08 08:19 PM
    Thanks for posting the solution... Yup, saw your query languishing here earlier, but since I had a no solution for you, I decided not to chime in with some non helpfull cheery hello.

Yes, the search capabilities of CB have been most helpful to me as well. Searching for key word by thread title or content and/or forum specific.

Again, good of you to post back the solution and making it full circle. A warm hearted Welcome from me and hope to see you around here at CB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 08:27 PM
    Thanks PvT!

11-30-08 10:59 AM
    A belated Welcome to CrackBerry is in order.

Your post is timestamped at 7:00 PM my time, as it happens, I was away from the computers glare.

When I choose to Add/Remove program I'm taken to that screen and the I select the "Start" button. I immediately get a pop up window titled "Device Connection" asking me to select a device from a drop down, but there are no devices to select.
    Good find, third party applications are there becasue they fill a need.

11-30-08 11:42 AM
    Thank you Reed!
    12-01-08 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD