I recently became a BB cracker as of early last week and i have a few complaints about the bold that i know can be fixed but i don't know how. I'm with Rogers in BC Canada.

1) The phone sometimes freezes after running a few applications or starts to lag and can only be fixed by turning the phone off and on. No heavy apps, just the pre-installed games or the sms text.

2)The past couple days i haven't been able to send texts, i can receive them but when i send one it gets this little clock symbol beside it and is marked as "pending". choosing the resend option doesn't make a difference. The pending text will stay there for days until it finally just shows a red X beside it. The only way i found i was able to send a text was to pull the battery and SIM out and reboot, but this trick only works for half a day. I am wondering if updating the OS on the phone will help (currently downloading), or maybe its a network problem.

3)I think its the same issue as above but unless i restart my phone everyday, it takes up 5 tries to connect a call. It will be at the calling screen then flick back to the recent call list, no automated voice just a faint click.

4)I'm new to this so i don't quite understand how some things work. The bold is equipped with a GPS? So how can i use it, there is no icon for it or app. is there a free app i can download? do i need 3G for it? do i need to pay another $15 a month for it?...

5) another thing i couldn't understand is why on earth do you have to pay $15 a month for an email service. Seems to me it should be a very simple and free feature.
    And i can't check my mail through the browser because they have the Hotmail sign in java script blocked. Is there any (preferably free) third party app that allows a quick email check/compose service?

So to sum my questions;
    -laggy, freezing phone
    -Network issues or OS
    -GPS usage/setup/app.
    -Email services, app.

BTW! i'm not trying to make the phone look bad, i love this thing. I'm quite addicted, but there's some issues that are holding me back from the full meal deal!

Thanks for any help.
    PS. any great third party apps suggestions would be fantasic.
    10-04-08 04:30 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I can appreciate how frustrating that must be. The consensus is, Rogers rushed the release of the Bold before the software was ready for Prime Time.

AT&T is still in the process of refining and testing the Bold. They would rather wait until it is fully functional and avoid the kind of issues you are dealing with.

In the near future, that much improved OS will become available. That will likely help solve your problems.

To answer your question, BlackBerry is designed around BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). In order to work, your device needs an account with BlackBerry and the infrastructure they provide.

Research in Motion bills your carrier for that service. Rogers in turn, bills you for the service and adds on a charge for the 1.5 Mb of data they provide.

Unfortunatly, 1.5 Mb is quickly exhausted and you will be buying additional data at $10 Mb. You likely have a honeymoon period of unlimited data to get started. When that is up, you really need to assess your use and consider changing to a larger capacity plan or reserve it for emergency use only.
    10-04-08 04:56 PM
    The device is GPS capable. Therefore, you should be able to download free GPS apps like Google Maps or Nav4All. Gmaps doesn't provide turn by turn, but it an awesome application otherwise. Nav4All provides turn by turn, but IMO takes to long to input. You can also subscribe through your carrier (I believe that is how Rogers works as well) for unlimited use.
    10-04-08 08:44 PM
    whats your app memory at?

im certain it's probably memory leak issues.

what os build are you running?
    10-05-08 02:43 AM
    Gmaps doesn't provide turn by turn, but it an awesome application otherwise.
    The newest version of Google Maps, version 2._._ (can't remember the exact number) now offers turn by turn directions and street view. Definitely a powerful app to have.
    10-05-08 08:58 AM
    whats your app memory at?

im certain it's probably memory leak issues.

what os build are you running?
    The newest version of Google Maps, version 2._._ (can't remember the exact number) now offers turn by turn directions and street view. Definitely a powerful app to have.
    Defsupreme;
    My app memory is at 30.1 MB what should it be at? i checked this again when i had the browser, calendar, and the music playing at it changed to 32.2MB. I don't get how that works, wouldn't it go down? is there any way to increase this memory? My OS is v4.6.0.125 (platform 4.0.0.134). Is there an updated OS for Rogers yet?

Matt N;
    I downloaded the google maps v2.3.1 and it freezes about 20% into the launch screen load bar.
    10-05-08 01:54 PM
    welcome to cb!
    10-05-08 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD