Hi to everyone! I just upgraded my free basic Sprint phone to a Blackberry 8830. One of the biggest selling points was the integrated GPS receiver - I was planning to use Google Maps with it.

However, I just was told by a Sprint rep that every time I activate GPS I get charged $2.99??? Is that true? Does it only apply to "Maps" program included with the BB or will I get charged if I use GPS with Google Maps?

I really appreciate you taking time to read and hopefully answer it! Thanks!

Anton
    08-07-07 06:16 PM
    I've not heard of this. I thought only Verizon would be charging for GPS. Nonetheless, have you called customer service?
    08-07-07 08:57 PM
    I've not heard of this. I thought only Verizon would be charging for GPS. Nonetheless, have you called customer service?
    That's who I got that information from... My only thought was - maybe she has confused regular GPS with the paid plan, like EZNav? How much does Verizon charge?
    08-07-07 09:06 PM
    I don't believe Verizon even offers GPS for BlackBerry at this point. However, it is $2.99 to buy a single day license of its GPS program for regular phones.
    08-07-07 09:08 PM
    I don't believe Verizon even offers GPS for BlackBerry at this point. However, it is $2.99 to buy a single day license of its GPS program for regular phones.
    Is that Verizon only, or does that go for Sprint as well? And does that mean that if I download Google Maps, and GPS my way around it, I'll get charged that fee?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-28-07 at 05:31 PM.
    08-07-07 09:16 PM
    Is that Verizon only, or does that go for Sprint as well? And does that mean that if I download Google Maps, and GPS my way around it, I'll get charged that fee?

Thanks!
    The fee for one day of sprints telenav is $2.99 as well. But, if their GPS is functional unlike Verizon's, you shouldn't be charged for using another program. I don't see how they could even tell if you weren't using their program.
    08-07-07 09:40 PM
    The fee for one day of sprints telenav is $2.99 as well. But, if their GPS is functional unlike Verizon's, you shouldn't be charged for using another program. I don't see how they could even tell if you weren't using their program.
    Thanks again for answering! Sorry for being so paranoid about this - just trying to figure out if there are any hidden fees or not.
    So the fee is for the software, not for the use of the GPS?
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-28-07 at 05:31 PM.
    08-08-07 07:37 AM
    Thanks again for answering! Sorry for being so paranoid about this - just trying to figure out if there are any hidden fees or not.
    So the fee is for the software, not for the use of the GPS?
    Yes, that is my understanding.
    08-08-07 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD