A big hello from France !

I bought my first BB, a bold, yesterday.

I know there are several topics about the same kind of questions but none that adressed my concern clearly and definitely.

I have an Orange Origami contract with unlimited web access and e-mails. But I didn't subscribe the extra BB option. I know many of you are gonna say "Why the **** buying a BB if you're not ready to pay for this option ?". Just because I don't see why not willing to use Push should prevent me from enjoying the gorgeous screen and excellent keyboard from the Bold.

My question is simple : is there or not a way to set up standard imap or pop e-mails accounts on my Bold or is it simply impossible and should I return my Bold ?

Could I do it by flashing the ROM for example ? The BB support on their website clearly shows a choice when setting up e-mail account : how can I get this choice on my handset ?

Thanks in advance !
    12-12-08 11:43 AM
    My question is simple : is there or not a way to set up standard imap or pop e-mails accounts on my Bold or is it simply impossible and should I return my Bold ?
    That's why you need a BB data plan. Without a BB data plan, you aren't going to get email on your phone via imap or pop.
    12-12-08 12:36 PM
    Sunkast is spot on correct. You need the BB option for all the device features to work.

Btw, Welcome to CB!

Feel free to post any questions that come up. Our addicts are always willing to assist you.

Enjoy the addiction™
    12-12-08 12:45 PM
    Thanks for your reply guys, at least it's clear, even though I can't admit that with my plan I can have e-mails on any device I've owned from a Qtek 9100 to my new Touch HD but not with a BB Device =(

Thanks also for your welcome even if my stay is going to be of the shortest ever as I'm putting my Bold for sale now
    12-12-08 01:10 PM
    Well... the real answer is yes you can get mail w/o the BB data. You can d/l the gmail app. The only thing is w/o the BB data, you can not get push services, bb messenger and any app that only utilizes bb data and not general data plans.

Also... there may be a 5mb option for BB, not sure if it exists, but is cheaper than $30.
    12-12-08 01:33 PM
    Jayden, you're my saviour : I'll try and download this app.

I don't need any of the push services or BB messenger, I just want to be able to write my mails/SMS with a good keyboard like the one on he bold.
    12-12-08 02:07 PM
    OK, the ap is installed but won't work =(

It starts loading and then I get a message saying "This program requires a data conection" whereas I'm already connected (Orange 3G) and can browse the web without any issue.

I set all the gmail app options to "authorise"

Where did i go wrong ?

EDIT : it was just an error in the APN. It's working great, thanks again !!!
    Last edited by rahan95; 12-12-08 at 03:53 PM.
    12-12-08 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD