I've had my new Curve 8330 for a day now and I love it. It was the easiest phone I've ever set up to use, though I suspect all the credit doesn't go to the phone. I'm a Mac user and in the past I tried to make my phones sync with Mac and had varying degrees of success. After seeing that I wouldn't be able to update the phone's OS without access to the Desktop Manager I decided to give in and set up a Windows VM on may Mac so I would be ready when I got my new phone. I'm sure having XP and Outlook to sync with instead of trying to force it to use Mail and iCal through a third party software had something to do with it, but I still had all my email accounts, calendar events, tasks and contacts synched in a few minutes and my Curve was receiving email before it hit Outlook.

So, my my one and only problem/complaint so far: I can't seem to assign different ring tones to categories of people. I've looked on the forums and this question has been asked several times but nobody ever seems to have an answer. Assigning different ring tones was the sole reason I put my contacts into categories. Is it really not possible to do this?
    07-20-08 11:25 PM
    As far as I know and from what I've researched you can't assign a ring tone to an entire group, only contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 11:33 PM
    I believe michelle is right, unfortunately. Glad you like your new phone, though!

07-20-08 11:35 PM
    Welcome to CB PP!

BlackBerrys are great devices, but as you have found out so far and will continue to as you use it more, they do have limited functonality in some areas. There are some cool 3rd party apps out there to set them up the way you like, unfortunatly most of the good ones are not free.

Found a review for one that looks like it will do what you want. I have not used it myself. Others may know more about it or other programs.

Ringo Mobile for BlackBerry
    07-20-08 11:50 PM
    Welcome to CB PP!

BlackBerrys are great devices, but as you have found out so far and will continue to as you use it more, they do have limited functonality in some areas. There are some cool 3rd party apps out there to set them up the way you like, unfortunatly most of the good ones are not free.

Found a review for one that looks like it will do what you want. I have not used it myself. Others may know more about it or other programs.

Ringo Mobile for BlackBerry
    Thank you. I briefly used Ringo for Palm, I just never thought to see if it existed for BB.
    07-21-08 12:31 AM
    Welcome to the forums!

07-21-08 12:34 AM
    Welcome to CB! You actually can...but if you have the time and patients to do it, is the question. You can either create a contact group/category and list the folks you want in that category/group or go to profile; scroll to advanced; after selecting advanced, scroll down underneath Profile Except and than click bb menu; select add new profile and select the person you want from your address book; than select the tune you would like for them. You can continue to add a contact under that same profile. When you are done. They will all have there distinctive tone from everyone else.

07-21-08 12:45 AM
    Congrats on the new Curve.

07-21-08 12:46 AM
    welcome to cb
    07-21-08 12:48 AM
    Welcome to CB!!
    07-21-08 07:29 AM
    Welcome to CB! You actually can...but if you have the time and patients to do it, is the question. You can either create a contact group/category and list the folks you want in that category/group or go to profile; scroll to advanced; after selecting advanced, scroll down underneath Profile Except and than click bb menu; select add new profile and select the person you want from your address book; than select the tune you would like for them. You can continue to add a contact under that same profile. When you are done. They will all have there distinctive tone from everyone else.

yep, that's the only way I believe.

Welcome to CB
    07-21-08 03:19 PM
    Congrats on the new device. Welcome to CB.
    07-21-08 03:41 PM
    Glad you're enjoying your new toy!
    07-25-08 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD