Hi, decided to sign up to find out if there is any hope for BB OS. I just returned to using my fully functional Passport and have wondered, Why did I stop using it? This is how ALL phones should be, I despise android spy devices with a passion so I stoked up the BB to begin my total elimination of the criminal spy company google out of my life and plan to use the BB until I can get my hands on a Linux phone or a fully degoogled new rom phone. If the Unihertz Titan can be degoogled then either that or a Cosmo Communicator running Sailfish or Graphene etc. I am determined that no inconvenience is to great to eliminate goolag, farcbook etc spying on me as it is simply immoral.
    04-12-21 12:14 PM
    if there is any hope for BB OS
    Afraid not. I'm with you though, still prefer BB10 to android. That makes 2 of us.
    04-12-21 12:56 PM
    Afraid not. I'm with you though, still prefer BB10 to android. That makes 2 of us.
    No hope BB OS could be released to open source? Or some sharp cookie updates the android player?
    04-12-21 12:58 PM
    And I only use passport
    04-12-21 01:24 PM
    Its a EOL OS with no upgrades coming and they are shutting down all backend services in a few months so even less things will function then.
    pdr733 likes this.
    04-12-21 01:43 PM
    No hope BB OS could be released to open source? Or some sharp cookie updates the android player?
    Will never happen. It has QNX bits which they wouldn't want out there.
    04-12-21 01:48 PM
    Will never happen. It has QNX bits which they wouldn't want out there.
    OK but why do you think this? I have actually used Qnix (not BB OS) off a live disc and been on the net with it ... years ago.
    04-12-21 02:08 PM
    OK but why do you think this? I have actually used Qnix (not BB OS) off a live disc and been on the net with it ... years ago.
    They want to maintain control of the licencing.

In any event, it will never happen.
    pdr733 likes this.
    04-12-21 03:50 PM
    My God that makes 3 of us.............time for an online petition to restart OS 10..........just kidding!

WOOF!
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-13-21 07:57 AM
    Many of use have.... but that was put out by a different company with a different view of licensing their product. But it still wasn't really "open sourced" for further commercial or even community development.

The version of QNX that BB10 is made on is several generations above that... and is fully closed source. Folks here have wished for them to open up BBOS, PlayBook OS as well as BB10...
    04-13-21 09:28 AM
    Many of use have.... but that was put out by a different company with a different view of licensing their product. But it still wasn't really "open sourced" for further commercial or even community development.

The version of QNX that BB10 is made on is several generations above that... and is fully closed source. Folks here have wished for them to open up BBOS, PlayBook OS as well as BB10...
    I think a lot that drives this is to be different. When I use my Titan I have many people ask is that a BlackBerry, really amazing if you think its been years since a new (real) BlackBerry was released. I love my Passport and will use it till its dead.
    04-13-21 10:08 AM
    I think a lot that drives this is to be different. When I use my Titan I have many people ask is that a BlackBerry, really amazing if you think its been years since a new (real) BlackBerry was released. I love my Passport and will use it till its dead.
    Does the Titan run BB10 or BBOS?

Great you love you Passport... I get that. Doesn't change the likely hood of BlackBerry opening up the platform to tweaking by what's left of the community.
    04-13-21 11:29 AM
    Does the Titan run BB10 or BBOS?

Great you love you Passport... I get that. Doesn't change the likely hood of BlackBerry opening up the platform to tweaking by what's left of the community.
    Chances of that are............................................... ............NO
    04-13-21 11:57 AM