Hey everyone at CrackBerry, I have an awkward situation:

I'm on a FamilyPlan at AT&T, and am thinking about asking my parents for a BlackBerry Curve for either Christmas or my birthday, and I heard of the 8900 being rumored to come out soon.

I will not be able to get a Data Plan (I plan to mainly use the Berry for texting), and I wonder, should I just ask for the 8310, or wait a bit for the 8900 (with Wi-Fi) to come out, and ask for that instead?

And one last question: is it true that AT&T hobbles Wi-Fi-capable phones if the subscribers are not on a data plan?

Thank you!
    11-22-08 08:11 PM

I'll let my fellow addicts who are familiar with the AT&T plans assist you with those questions.
    11-22-08 08:20 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!
    Not really sure on the 8900 release date. Have you thought about the Bold? And to be honest a bb without a data plan is gonna be kinda pointless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 09:30 PM
    Yeah, I realize it's kinda pointless, but this is my last year before college, and when I'm actually in college and get my own job, I will split from my family plan and get a full-on data plan attached to my own voice+text subscription.

This way, instead of having to scrounge up MORE money for a BlackBerry, I get one ahead of time, from my parents.

And yes, I have looked at the Bold (in the AT&T stores, at least), but it's much too big for me, and I'm a fan of the Curve's spaced-out keyboard.
    Last edited by Saronix; 11-22-08 at 09:41 PM.
    11-22-08 09:34 PM
    Welcome to CB!

I have the Curve 8330, and I couldn't be happier with the phone.

I don't have AT&T, so I can't help there - sorry!
    11-23-08 10:13 AM
    Good Day! If you are looking for a BB as a gift and have been tossing around the devices a bit, I would weigh out the pros and cons of each individually. The AT&T 8310 is a great phone as I have one and have had for 6 months. If you are on the edge about WiFi then check out the Bold or sit for the Jav(ETA TBD).
    The debate about Data?! This is a personal pref...if you don't need to retrieve your email or have no use to be online then why spend the extra(wasted) money. Although, I must say that once you do have the data feature (BB Package) you may never go back to a non-data life! Because BBs are the most reliable and toughest devices, you can not go wrong with just having one to make calls or calls and txt. I also, on a personal and professional level know that I get the best reception and battery life with my BB.
    All in all, I believe that whether talking or getting the works, you will be happy with the purchase...and the WiFi on the newer devices will be a definite bonus!
    11-23-08 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD