Hey everyone!

My name is Nick and I am taking my first step into this new....slightly scary world that is Blackberry. I've toyed with them, but never really used one to its potential.

Anyway, I am getting a refurbed 7290 tomorrow for cheap and I have no idea what I am really doing, but I plan on spending the next few days playing with it and what not to see if I like it or not. The reason I am getting it is I am starting a new job after Thanksgiving that has me travelling around most of the time and I would like to be able to receive and send emails and texts since I won't be at a computer and I can't stand typing on my damn flip phone anymore.

Now, I have a few questions that may seem completely simple, but I've searched and haven't really found all the answers I need. Anywho,

1. I already have an AT&T phone with a SIM and I'm hoping I can just slide the card into the BB and start making a call. Yes? No?

2. I would like to receive my GMail, but do I need to get a data plan to have access to it, or can I just have it "pushed", as they say, to the BB without any extra charges? I plan on adding the data plan to it, but for right now, I'd only like my email.

I think that's it for right now. I'm sure there will be more questions in the near future. But like I said, I'm just trying it out and if I can get the two questions to work for me, I'll be happy. If not, I may have to abandon my idea. So, let me know if this will work and anything else I should know as a CrackBerry n00b.

Thanks in advance.
    11-13-07 09:29 PM
    1.) Yes if you insert ur sim into the BB you will be able to make calls.

2.) No. You need a data plan to access the internet or email.

Hope this helps!
    11-13-07 09:46 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    and am sure you would have lots more questions so be sure to ask.
    11-14-07 07:02 AM
    Welcome to world of CB addicts. Enjoy your new business toy...
    11-14-07 07:48 AM
    Thanks for the answers and welcome!

Got a few more questions.
    1. I am trying to connect my Samsung bluetooth headset to connect to the device, but it can't find it. What gives? Do I need to cancel it from my old phone or is it too new for the device to recognize?
    2. This PIN thing. Are those considered text messages or are they data?
    3. I don't have a business server email deal. I need BIS, correct?

I think that's enough for today.
    11-14-07 03:32 PM
    You actually do not NEED a BIS or BB data plan thru att... For some time i actually used the normally medianet (unlimited was only $19.99)... i could connect to the internet and send/rcv picture msgs.... however i did NOT have BB Email. It does work, however customer srv (well a well trained rep) will not let you have unlimited medianet with a BB. If you just pop your sim in the BB without calling it should work... just be careful about your data usage if you dont have an unlimited plan.

GMAIL requires a data plan. however... if you dont wanna add data (which is silly.. you have a BB device, come on!).... you can forward your gmail to your wireless#@mms.mycingular.com ... it will come as text and may allow small picture attachments.

PIN i believe is data, not a messaging charge since it goes over the RIM network. ( someone correct me though if i am wrong???)

You don't have to "unpair" your old samsung with your headset... just make sure your BB bluetooth and headset is on and in discoverable mode. Pair em up and you should be good to go. most headset pins are 0000 unless otherwise noted.

BIS is correct if you add a BB plan via ATT. BES is only for business that have an enterprise server.... if you would have company email you can use the redirector for free.

Hope u luv ur BB!
    11-14-07 04:11 PM
    You actually do not NEED a BIS or BB data plan thru att... For some time i actually used the normally medianet (unlimited was only $19.99)... i could connect to the internet and send/rcv picture msgs.... however i did NOT have BB Email. It does work, however customer srv (well a well trained rep) will not let you have unlimited medianet with a BB. If you just pop your sim in the BB without calling it should work... just be careful about your data usage if you dont have an unlimited plan.

GMAIL requires a data plan. however... if you dont wanna add data (which is silly.. you have a BB device, come on!).... you can forward your gmail to your wireless#@mms.mycingular.com ... it will come as text and may allow small picture attachments.

PIN i believe is data, not a messaging charge since it goes over the RIM network. ( someone correct me though if i am wrong???)

You don't have to "unpair" your old samsung with your headset... just make sure your BB bluetooth and headset is on and in discoverable mode. Pair em up and you should be good to go. most headset pins are 0000 unless otherwise noted.

BIS is correct if you add a BB plan via ATT. BES is only for business that have an enterprise server.... if you would have company email you can use the redirector for free.

Hope u luv ur BB!
    Thanks for the answers.

On the BlueTooth, I have it turned on and I have the headset on as well. I click "Add Device" and it searches, but it cannot find the headset. I have turned it on and off, disconnected the battery, etc. all to no avail.
    11-14-07 04:26 PM
    You need to make sure that the headset is not only on, but that it it's in "pairing mode." Consult your user's guide for the headset to see how to do this.
    11-15-07 07:18 PM
    You need to make sure that the headset is not only on, but that it it's in "pairing mode." Consult your user's guide for the headset to see how to do this.
    I finally figured that out earlier today. It's always something simple that holds you back. HAHA
    11-15-07 08:42 PM
    Glad u got it working.
    11-16-07 09:03 AM
    Welcome, Nick. It looks like all of your questions were answered. Good luck with your BB!
    11-18-07 05:15 AM
    Welcome to CB!!
    12-08-07 10:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD