How do I keep alphabetic characters that I use to help me identify different phone numbers in a contact from being translated into numbers? I figured out that I need an 'x' for an extension, but sometimes I put other identifying info, that I just want to be ignored when dialing.

For instance, if I have an entry like...

(619)321-1234 Todd

How can I indicate that "Todd" is not part of the number. My old Treo was smart that way, and I'm thinking BB is, too, if I just knew how to tell it that "Todd" is not part of the number. Any ideas???
    08-25-08 03:24 PM
    Actually, the BlackBerry is not smart that way. This was discussed a while back. The simplest way is just to name the contact "Todd" and put the number in it. A work-around is to put enough pauses after the number so that the called phone has stopped listening for more digits before the TODD digits are sent. I don't know any way to suppress sending the TODD, though.
    08-25-08 07:13 PM
    Darn. Ok... I know that now I need to handle this differently. Unfortunately I have many entries in Outlook that include names or other identifiers after the phone number that worked fine with my old Treo. But, I'll adapt!

I would like to send RIM a suggestion/request for future capability in handling/ignoring alphabetic characters at the end of the phone number. Do you know who or what department would be willing to listen to or care about such a suggestion?

Even with the above limitation, I love my new Blackberry and look forward to future RIM products!

Thanks very much for your quick and informative reply and suggestion.
    Last edited by buenaluz; 08-26-08 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
    08-26-08 01:14 PM
    I've never tried to contact RIM directly. There are a few people on the forum who seem to work for RIM or for one of its key partners. They usually don't identify themselves as such, to keep from either being inundated with requests or abuse, but it's likely one or more of them will notice your post.
    08-26-08 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD