Just upgraded my 8320 (t-mobile) from an 8700g, yea flinestone phone. Well I very much wanted to upgrade my OS on the 8320 to 4.5.0.108. I currently have 4.22.180. I can't seem to upgrade! I've been doing all the necessary steps. I've completely removed all traces of blackberry software that was previously installed just incase it would interfere with the process. What I have now on my computer is: BB Desktop software v4.6 and BB Device software v4.5.0

Anybody avail to help guide me through? I'm ready to pull my hair out over this.
    10-02-08 11:41 PM
    10-02-08 11:59 PM
    ... What I have now on my computer is: BB Desktop software v4.6 and BB Device software v4.5.0

Anybody avail to help guide me through? I'm ready to pull my hair out over this.
    You are almost there.

The next step is to verify both are correctly installed by opening Windows Control Panel / Programs. You are looking for two BlackBerry entries, one for the Desktop Manager and the other for the device OS. Double check the device OS, it must match your device model exactly.

The next step is to prepare the device OS. Open Windows Computer and select the Drive C: icon.

Navigate to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Scroll to the bottom of the page and delete the Vendor.XML file.

Connect your Curve using the USB cable and Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager. You should see your PIN number at the bottom of that panel.

The first thing we recommend is doing a Backup. That will ensure your connection is good, all your data and settings are saved, just in case.

Finally, Open Applications Loader. You will be prompted to upgrade to the new OS. Click on the the button to proceed.

Sit back and wait patiently. The upgrade starts with a backup, then the actual upgrade and finally, a restore of your data. Do not disconnect or be concerned that it is taking a long time. It can take over 30 minutes.

When it has finished, you will see a message on Desktop Manager confirming a successful upgrade.

Now, it is safe to disconnect.
    10-03-08 11:16 AM
    I can't even click on the icons in the desktop manager.
    It says my bb is connected but nothing opens up when I click on any of the icons.
    It's highlighting in blue which icon I rollover but nothing comes up.
    Oh and my pin isn't showing up either.

This is like the 3rd day and I'm pisssssssed.
    Last edited by LASHON; 10-03-08 at 01:05 PM.
    10-03-08 12:56 PM
    That is unusual, most of the time, it is the device OS that causes problems. Obviously, if there are issues with the Desktop Manager, you will not be able to proceed.

If you installed it from the BlackBerry User Tools CD, it should prompt you to check for updates and recommend installing them.

I would suggest start with a fresh Desktop Manager download. The most recent version is v4.6. For now, choose the English only version without Roxio Media Manager. That will insure you do not have secondary issues due to the Media Manager.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    10-03-08 02:36 PM
    Make sure you hit the Options tab beneath the Data Preservation and Device Backup heading and ensure that the Backup Device Data Automatically During the Installation Process box is checked. This is in the 101 instructions you were given, but important enough to repeat.

If you're still having trouble get a copy of crackmem installed on your pc and use it -- read the tutorial and it will guide you through the process.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-08 07:29 PM
    thanks guys, i'm gonna try those out
    10-03-08 11:08 PM
    Thanks this really helped me im downloading as i type lol

You are almost there.

The next step is to verify both are correctly installed by opening Windows Control Panel / Programs. You are looking for two BlackBerry entries, one for the Desktop Manager and the other for the device OS. Double check the device OS, it must match your device model exactly.

The next step is to prepare the device OS. Open Windows Computer and select the Drive C: icon.

Navigate to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Scroll to the bottom of the page and delete the Vendor.XML file.

Connect your Curve using the USB cable and Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager. You should see your PIN number at the bottom of that panel.

The first thing we recommend is doing a Backup. That will ensure your connection is good, all your data and settings are saved, just in case.

Finally, Open Applications Loader. You will be prompted to upgrade to the new OS. Click on the the button to proceed.

Sit back and wait patiently. The upgrade starts with a backup, then the actual upgrade and finally, a restore of your data. Do not disconnect or be concerned that it is taking a long time. It can take over 30 minutes.

When it has finished, you will see a message on Desktop Manager confirming a successful upgrade.

Now, it is safe to disconnect.
    10-04-08 12:40 AM
    Got it now!
    I had to revert back to v4.2 for the desktop manager and used crackmem to help me out and i had to make sure that after deleting the vendor file, i empty the trash bin. that seemed to be part of the issue because it worked immediately after i did that. i dont have my trash bin on my desktop so i tend to forget to empty it sometimes.
    10-04-08 01:08 PM
    Good for you. I would recomend going to the blackberry site and downloading a fresh copy of 4.6 DM. Save it to your pc, then install it. You were getting frustrated, lol, and it wasn't critical to your upgrade so I didn't mention it before. It did sound as if you had a bad copy/download of the DM.

Then back your berry up to make sure it works. This way it'll be ready next time an upgrade shows up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD